Hockey 2009-10

Great game. Wasn't the prettiest game, but it was typical Bruins-Flyers hockey.

And if you had asked me before the game whether Dan Carcillo would get into a fight today, I would've said "Well, is the sky blue? Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears shit in the woods???"

Great game. Wasn't the prettiest game, but it was typical Bruins-Flyers hockey.

And if you had asked me before the game whether Dan Carcillo would get into a fight today, I would've said "Well, is the sky blue? Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears shit in the woods???"

Do bears eat Yankies jerseys?

That was an awesome helmet :lol:

Gary Bettman couldn't have scripted that game better (though I'm sure he would've preferred the red lighting up a bit more). If the Bruins hadn't of gotten those goals I would've considered it rather a bore and an epic failure to the Boston fans who paid huge cash to be there. In the end though it worked out great with a home team win, and I'm glad, because games like that can increase hockey interest in the USA.

Anybody catch the CAN-USA world Juniors game? What a nailbiter that was!

Gary Bettman couldn't have scripted that game better (though I'm sure he would've preferred the red lighting up a bit more). If the Bruins hadn't of gotten those goals I would've considered it rather a bore and an epic failure to the Boston fans who paid huge cash to be there. In the end though it worked out great with a home team win, and I'm glad, because games like that can increase hockey interest in the USA.

Shootout. That's what I wanted anyway.

I agree with both of these points. Everyone was moaning about the matchup and saying "oh, why aren't the Capitals here with Ovie?" and blah, blah, blah. Well, all those people can just shut up now. I enjoyed that game a lot. Probably the only people who didn't are Flyers fans just because their team lost.

No...just no...no teams unless they actually have history are allowed to play in the Winter Classic. No teams from the South are allowed either. It has to be OLD school teams or Canadian teams. Hell Ottawa shouldn't be allowed to play in it.

No...just no...no teams unless they actually have history are allowed to play in the Winter Classic. No teams from the South are allowed either. It has to be OLD school teams or Canadian teams. Hell Ottawa shouldn't be allowed to play in it.

This. Winter Classic is for classic teams, not expansion franchises.

New York and someone need to be next. As much as I hate Toronto they deserve it themselves, I don't know if they should be saved for a Montreal match-up or not.

New York deserves their own home game I think, I don't know if Yankee Stadium or Giants Stadium should be it but then again I am not the one getting paid to make the decisions.

The only problem with Toronto is the lack of snow right now, it would be a hit or miss of whether or not their would actually be the correct weather.

The Kings, Penguins and Blues are the teams that should be allowed in it as well considering the Flyers just played.

I have a feeling they could pull a "Ottawa had history being the Senators in the early 1900s" just because, but it doesn't feel right to me.

As much as I would love to see two Canadian teams playing in it, it's just not marketable enough. Besides the Skydome (Roger Centre) there's really no good existing stadiums to hold it in. In addition one of the biggest reasons for holding the winter classic is to build hockey interest in the USA. Americans could care less about 2-Canadian teams playing, it's why the NHL always get scared if it looks like there might be 2 Canadians in the Stanley Cup finals.

This. Winter Classic is for classic teams, not expansion franchises.

Sorry, but no. The Winter Classic is a three year old tradition, not a 70 year old tradition. Every team should have a chance to play in it, although teams south of Denver shouldn't host it.

As much as I would love to see two Canadian teams playing in it, it's just not marketable enough. Besides the Skydome (Roger Centre) there's really no good existing stadiums to hold it in. In addition one of the biggest reasons for holding the winter classic is to build hockey interest in the USA. Americans could care less about 2-Canadian teams playing, it's why the NHL always get scared if it looks like there might be 2 Canadians in the Stanley Cup finals.

They shouldn't put it in the Rogers Centre, it should be held in the TFC stadium for Toronto (as I don't think Rogers Stadium would be allowed to be open in the winter. Montreal has the Alouettes stadium as well.

Also frankly, I don't give a shit if Bettman thinks it is no good for hockey. In all honesty the NHL could pretty well survive in Canada alone. I really wish Europe wasn't so far away as they care as much about the sport as we do.
And I know that wont fly but who cares. I am guessing putting a Montreal/Toronto game in either/each city will still turn a HUGE profit for the league.

I also can't wait until the Canadian teams do make it to the finals in the playoffs, it would be brilliant if it was for the semi-finals too just to see the States completely shut down and not give a damn anymore.

Sorry, but no. The Winter Classic is a three year old tradition, not a 70 year old tradition. Every team should have a chance to play in it, although teams south of Denver shouldn't host it.

No, I might give in to the Avalanche, Wild, Devils, Sabres just because they have hockey history. But no way in hell should the Coyotes, Flordia Teams, Ducks, Carolina (although to be fair they have decent hockey fans there evidently), Nashville, Columbus, San Jose, Atlanta, Washinton.

Winter Classic bring hockey back to its outdoor roots, and frankly if the fans can't bother to show up to the games during a normal game the don't deserve to have a team play in this.

No, I might give in to the Avalanche, Wild, Devils, Sabres just because they have hockey history. But no way in hell should the Coyotes, Flordia Teams, Ducks, Carolina (although to be fair they have decent hockey fans there evidently), Nashville, Columbus, San Jose, Atlanta, Washinton.

Winter Classic bring hockey back to its outdoor roots, and frankly if the fans can't bother to show up to the games during a normal game the don't deserve to have a team play in this.

I can concede to that point, but they need to spring up bigger fan bases in those cities. What better way to do that than put them in your biggest game?

I mean, the Predators have been a fairly good team over the past 5 or so seasons and we as fans still barely get them to the 14,000 tickets-per-game average.

Maybe I'm just a fan in a city that doesn't deserve a team.

I'm making a bold prediction (keep in mind I'm rooting for Canada to win it all): Ryan Miller and Evgeni Nabokov will do their best damn impressions of highway bandits with some outright thievery and Team USA will be playing Team Russia for the gold. There's just something about these two goalies that scare the shit out of me.

There's just something about these two goalies that scare the shit out of me.

Crosby, Iginla, Nash, Toews, Staal, Heatley, Thornton, etc,,
There's just something about these players that should scare the shit out of those goaltenders.

I can concede to that point, but they need to spring up bigger fan bases in those cities. What better way to do that than put them in your biggest game?

I mean, the Predators have been a fairly good team over the past 5 or so seasons and we as fans still barely get them to the 14,000 tickets-per-game average.

Maybe I'm just a fan in a city that doesn't deserve a team.

You really have NO idea how badly I want to live in Pheonix just so I can watch a NHL game for like $20 a game...with a beer included.

Hamilton (a city of 500K people between Buffalo and Toronto) deserves a team, they really do. But politics comes into play. If Hamilton had a team then Toronto can't make people pay $200 a ticket as they can take a 30 minute drive to see another one, but then again that would mean civilians and not assholes in suits could actually go see a hockey game in Canada.

Oh have I mentioned I've never seen an NHL game in my home country before? OH YA that is because we can't afford bloody Leaf's tickets (and that we hate the Leafs with a passion).

Then Buffalo comes into play, who 60% of their seats are filled by Canadians who are close to the border or don't feel like being completely raped by ticket prices. They are still expensive but not kidney expensive.

I have a beautiful Koivu jersey I really wanted to wear to a Habs game, but all I managed to do was wear it to their farm team game (which was enjoyable but not exactly the goal).

Crosby, Iginla, Nash, Toews, Staal, Heatley, Thornton, etc,,
There's just something about these players that should scare the shit out of those goaltenders.

I hope some big defensemen not in the NHL decide to clock him a good one. I hate how he is basically the face of hockey in Canada.

Last edited:
You really have NO idea how badly I want to live in Pheonix just so I can watch a NHL game for like $20 a game...with a beer included.

Hamilton (a city of 500K people between Buffalo and Toronto) deserves a team, they really do. But politics comes into play. If Hamilton had a team then Toronto can't make people pay $200 a ticket as they can take a 30 minute drive to see another one, but then again that would mean civilians and not assholes in suits could actually go see a hockey game in Canada.

Oh have I mentioned I've never seen an NHL game in my home country before? OH YA that is because we can't afford bloody Leaf's tickets (and that we hate the Leafs with a passion).

Then Buffalo comes into play, who 60% of their seats are filled by Canadians who are close to the border or don't feel like being completely raped by ticket prices. They are still expensive but not kidney expensive.

I have a beautiful Koivu jersey I really wanted to wear to a Habs game, but all I managed to do was wear it to their farm team game (which was enjoyable but not exactly the goal).

Really? I feel bad for you because Sens tickets are pretty cheap. Even the Sprite Zone (or whatever it's called now) had $15 tickets and the seats were pretty decent.

Hamilton (a city of 500K people between Buffalo and Toronto) deserves a team, they really do.

Hamilton almost got my team. $20 a game sounds pretty good, tickets here are around NFL ticket prices.

raskmask.jpg

Bruins' backup goalie's helmet from the Winter Classic