Random Thoughts....

Spending New Years Eve alone? that's gotta suck.
When the clock struck midnight I was in a sauna with some of my best friends popping up a bottle of sparkling wine ...

When the clock struck midnight I was in a sauna with some of my best friends popping up a bottle of sparkling wine ...

And I was drinking a glass of 95 Dom Perignon at a friends house, so what?

I've spent New Years eve alone before because it was my choice.

I had originally planned on going out, but then it was cold and I was lazy so I didn't. It didn't suck, I was significantly warmer than I'd be had I left the house.

Is it weird that I'm dying to get back to school? It is extremely boring at home when I'm waking up at 2 pm because I lack any motivation to start playing any games or watch any movies. The flip side is waking up at 8 am to crying babies and little kids being loud, which makes me groan and go out to the little kids and yell at them to be quiet which makes the babies cry more. Thanks for running a home daycare Mom!

When in desperation, I turn to TPB. No more. Just cleaned up again after the crap it tried to download onto the machine.

And can someone start writing bad stuff for Mac? I'm tired of the gloating from a friend of mine....

They can, but because of the majority of computers, people use PC, why would anyone really bother?

That's not to say there isn't anything that can affect a Mac, but if the primary purpose of a virus/malware/whatever is mass destruction, aiming for the minority of computer users is hardly productive.

So yeah.

WTH. Apparently I was supposed to work today, but as I'm out there's no way I'll be able to make it back.

Whoever's doing the rosters atm is fucked up.

And can someone start writing bad stuff for Mac? I'm tired of the gloating from a friend of mine....

Friend obviously hasn't come across the Macs my high school had/have.

One had random text fill up the screen, another randomly wouldn't boot up, and there were a couple others that had problems. It got interesting when there were more students than Macs.

I misread that as "they're the ones you keep in the closet."

Make of that what you will.
Josef_Fritzl_280_477364a.jpg

Friend obviously hasn't come across the Macs my high school had/have.

One had random text fill up the screen, another randomly wouldn't boot up, and there were a couple others that had problems. It got interesting when there were more students than Macs.
I have fond memories of an emac releasing a plume of smoke from inside the bubble thing at the back and other macs malfunctioning in elementary school.

I just want him to stop sniggering everytime I have to clean up...

and the experiment for dinner was a bit of a disaster. Oh well, there's always cheese on toast.

When in desperation, I turn to TPB. No more. Just cleaned up again after the crap it tried to download onto the machine.

The mac assholes would rather gloat then write viruses like the PC assholes I guess :lol:

Of course you can be a mini asshole:
http://doomlaser.com/kernel-panic-screensaver/
install that on your friend's computer when they aren't looking. :D

Transatlantic uses a blimp.

whirlwind480.jpg

It is milady entertaining for the two members here who get it.

Transatlantic is teh win!

Duel with the Devil is some bestest cruising music. :)

They do. In fact there are several spam mailer viruses that are rather rampant - but nobody ever notices because Macs Can't Get Viruses So I Shouldn't Have Any Scanners.

Apple also has an INCREDIBLY TERRIBLE track record with fixing security flaws - they'll be notified of an incredibly severe flaw and typically take about a year to respond AT ALL - and then six months beyond that to add a fix to the next service update (or oftentimes they'll include the patch in the next version of OSX, and people using previous versions never get it.) This is in stark contrast to Microsoft, who typically issues an emergency patch within hours of notification, a download-on-demand patch within a few days, and rolls it into the next Patch Tuesday, which is never any more than 30 days out - and in really severe cases they'll push it automatically immediately. And when they fix it, they fix it for every affected version that's still officially supported, and often several that aren't.

*Rant follows*

Apple, line-for-line actually has MORE security flaws than Microsoft, because Windows operating systems are a complicated clusterfuck of hacks and patches to fix the mistakes of every software developer ever to write a program for Windows. If someone wrote and distributes a piece of software that depends on a certain undocumented internal piece of the OS to do something in such and such a way, Microsoft *WILL* find out about it, and when that part of the OS has to be changed to accommodate new features or fix a bug, or just make it better, they *WILL* have to rewrite that part of the OS to check for that program and make it see what it's expecting when it expects it. Therefore Windows is a huge, convoluted mess of code to fix other people's problems.

For example, in DirectX, there's a function call that Windows makes to the video driver that says "Hey, do you support such and such feature?"

Some lazy-assed programmer, at some point in the distant past, writing a driver for a video card that supported every single thing that DirectX supported at the time (and assuming that DirectX would never support anything new in the future) wrote that function to respond "Yes, I support that" in every case. Now, DirectX, every time it asks a video card that question, has to ask that question for a fake feature first, to determine if it can trust the answers it gets back or not. This same kind of situation happens MILLIONS of times throughout the Windows codebase.

This policy of fixing other people's mistakes may seem counterintuitive, Apple certainly doesn't do it - but the fact of the matter is that customers are little whiney bitches - if they upgrade Windows and one of their programs stops working properly, they will blame Windows - despite the fact that 99 times out of 100, that program does something ungodly fucking stupid that it shouldn't have done in the first place.

Coincidentally, the 64bit version of Windows contains MUCH less of this crap because it can no longer execute 16bit code - and the 16bit era, with its tendency to write in raw C and with far fewer actual documented APIs fostered the growth of a lot of these practices.

Apple simply breaks other people's programs with updates. You know how the first step to every guide to upgrading your OSX version is "Update EVERYTHING and uninstall everything that is known to interface with the OS at a low level" - that's why.

The mac assholes would rather gloat then write viruses like the PC assholes I guess :lol:

Of course you can be a mini asshole:
http://doomlaser.com/kernel-panic-screensaver/
install that on your friend's computer when they aren't looking. :D

I have a dongle (schematics and sourcecode available) that you plug between someone's monitor and PC, inline with the VGA cable that throws up a BSoD (or an OSX kernel panic, depending on how you've got it configured) on a random timer. The best part is that it detects when the PC's video signal has been shut off (i.e. the machine rebooted) and switches back to the PC and resets the timer. It could go undetected for AGES, especially if you plug it up to the back of the monitor rather than the back of the PC.

I haven't seen a schematic for a DVI (/HDMI) version yet, though.

Damn, why do people insist on giving us Christmas cakes every single year, and not very good ones at that. I've had enough of eating it every single day. I'd rather chuck it in the bin....but they made it, and then I'd feel bad...gah!

Also, our internet connection is finally back to normal. YAY! :D It does mean I have wasted a lot of time on youtube today. I usually don't bother. :blink: I did still remember to saw off the branch that had partially split from our sizable backyard wattle tree thanks to the storm that hit while I was out boozing on NYE. There's even less shade in the backyard now, though.

Sir Wing - a fount of rant is appreciated!

Kat - I'll give it a go!

Zesty - I could quite happily give up all of Xmas except for mother's Xmas cake. It is mixed and baked in October, and then spends 2 months in a secret place, being quietly removed and brushed with alcohol once a week. It is produced after the present opening on Xmas day (usually about lunchtime) and is usually finished by the evening of the following day. I love that cake.

New "Blasphemy law" came into effect today in Ireland.

?25,000 fine for "publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted."

God damnit!!

:blink:

Ireland was also one of the few countries to ban "Life of Brian"

:lol: