Burning HD rips to DVD

Polizei

So far I've been watching the SD rips but I just picked up a new plasma and bluray so I want to re-download all the episodes in HD and burn them so I can watch them from the comfort of my couch.

I have downloaded a 1080 and 720 and they are different file formats, why is that?

Would I see any difference between the two from a regular DVD? Is it even worth getting the 1080's?

How do I go about burning these files to a DVD? I scanned through the sticky thread about viewing HD but it all seems related to watching on the computer. I googled and tried burning the .ts file with CopyToDVD but it didn't work.

Would someone give a walkthrough for those of us that are not so tech savvy.

Thanks.

I have downloaded a 1080 and 720 and they are different file formats, why is that?

Would I see any difference between the two from a regular DVD? Is it even worth getting the 1080's?

How do I go about burning these files to a DVD?

WELL, first of all, if you really plan on buring a normal DVD any DVD player can play, you can stick with the SD rips as DVDs are SD anyways.

If you want to burn the HD files to a data DVD in order to play them on your Blu-Ray player, the question is what your Blu-Ray player can play.

The difference between the two rips is that the 720p rip is a compressed "scene" rip in the mkv container format, while the 1080i version is the unaltered transport stream (hence, .ts) as broadcast by the BBC.

Opinions on the forum differ it the 1080i version is worth getting...

Without a special player that can handle these file types you can not watch it. Such players exist of course.. but they are relatively rare, so check first. Most people are not really aware what they "need". Almost every HD rip in the web is .mkv but most players don't play it :(

If not, when you have a laptop or the possibility to connect your computer with a normal "monitor cable" (VGA,DVI or HDMI) do it. It's the best way in my opinion. Without using any additional expensive hardware.

The .ts file won't fit on a normal DVD anyway I guess (but I didn't check). I think it's not worth the traffic. The 720p rip looks fine even on a big screen. But if you have a lot of bandwidth and disc space to spare, additionally a really fast computer or external device that can handle these file types there is no reason why you shouldn't get the 1080 version.
For me it's not worth it... I don't see any difference unless i directly compare it and concentrate really hard..

Off Topic:

I don't really get why they "invented" the Bluray-Disc because when they would just put a h264 "mkv"- rip using the full space of a double layer dvd would have done the deal... You won't notice any lacks of quality i guess (at least for 720p).

Last edited:
Off Topic:

I don't really get why they "invented" the Bluray-Disc because when they would just put a h264 "mkv"- rip using the full space of a double layer dvd would have done the deal... You won't notice any lacks of quality i guess (at least for 720p).

You already gave yourself a reason for higher-capacity disks, anything higher-res than 720p would fail if restricted to 7.something GB for anything but shortish movies.

On topic, if you burn video DVDs then there is some quality gain if you use the 720p as a source. The SD release are slightly lower resolution than a video DVD so you would upscale it when converting to video DVD. The resulting video hence does not exploit the full potential of video DVDs.

On topic, if you burn video DVDs then there is some quality gain if you use the 720p as a source. The SD release are slightly lower resolution than a video DVD so you would upscale it when converting to video DVD. The resulting video hence does not exploit the full potential of video DVDs.

In theory, you are right... but feeding a HD-capable plasma screen with a SD DVD source instead of a HD source means such a big quality loss that it does not matter if you slightly-upscale the SD rip or use the 720p one ;)

There is a way to burn a regular DVD but using Blu-ray structure. Since the mkv rips use H264 and AAC (both of which are in the Blu-ray spec) it's a simple matter to demux the mkv files and use the individual streams to re-author your content. What you end up with is a regular DVD that contains HD content and is playable on your Blu-ray player. It's called the AVCHD-DVD.

Here's a guide for ripping a ts and muxing to a BR compatible DVD
http://club.myce.com/f142/bd2dvd-blu-ray-dvd-guide-232165/

If you find the 1080i rips are a tad large you can start off with the 720P rips and use an mkv demuxer to get the necessary streams. With those in hand, you can start from step 3 in the guide above.

Last edited:
feeding a HD-capable plasma screen with a SD DVD source instead of a HD source means such a big quality loss that it does not matter if you slightly-upscale the SD rip or use the 720p one ;)

Test it. You will see a major difference.

The key to xvid's success at small sizes always was that you didn't really look closely at it so you wouldn't spot all the shortcomings. Hence a DVD from such a source will not be 15% worse than a perfect DVD because of about 15% lower resolution, it will be a lot worse than that.

what i did was convert the 720p .mkv to .avi, (2 GB in size), and then burnt it onto a DVD. bigg quality difference (plasma tv ofc)

To convert the HD rips to dvd you can use a simple program called ConvertXtoDVD
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

but it is not free. It allows you to create menus, add multiple titles, choose quality settings and gives nice results.

To convert your HD rips to blu-ray that will be compatible in any blu-ray player you can use MultiAVCHD
http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/

which is quite simple and free. It also allows you to create menus, add multiple titles and choose quality settings. You can create a blu-ray structure or AVCHD structure on a single layer dvd or dual layer dvd with this program aswell but you would have to check if your blu-ray player can play it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
^ Yes ConvertXtoDVD works well with the .mkv 720p rips quality is very much better than the SD rips (but isn't technically HD viewing cause my DVD player or telly aren't HD) but I have not tried with the 1080p rips so don't know about these.

Last edited:
I have been using convertxtodvd for a couple years now to make DVD's with the SD AVi's and they all have come out great. I am now trying to use the software to make DVDs on DL DVDRs and use the MKV or TS files, but I'm experiencing two different problems.

With MKV files, the audio is going in and out of sync. Seems like it goes out of sync in the Studio segments but is better when doing non-studio stuff. So odd.

With TS files, I'm getting serious pixelation in the beginning of each episode. Usually occurs for the first 5 seconds (the intro piece) and it sometimes doesn't even start the episode at the beginning.

i would like to know if it is worth downloading the 1080i version? I too like to test out the Acer HD LCD monitor and i don't have any clips of it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

i would like to know if it is worth downloading the 1080i version? I too like to test out the Acer HD LCD monitor and i don't have any clips of it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

No doesn't, because a normal 1080i has got about the same number of pixel as a 720p, but the BBC broadcasts in 1440x1080i so it's even worse than a 720p.