Failing spectacularly at a Corvette burnout.

Posmo

I'm a piano until proven otherwise
Car(s)
'86 Sierra iS, '70 Cortina, '90 Sierra, '04 RS182
I thought long and hard whther I should post this in general automotive, or start a new thread for it, but after watching it again, I believe it's tragic enough to warrant it's own thread.

So yeah, a guy attempts to do a burnout with a Z06, and actually does get a lot of smoke.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3So0U1BMQ[/youtube]

These are the sort of people who don't deserve the right to drive cars.:cry:

Someone should add this video to the Wikipedia entry of "Stupidity" as an example.

I guess he missed the memo where forward momentum is necessary to prevent the rear brakes from overpowering even the mightiest engine.

Darwin award candidate for sure. Part two is when he gets the clutch fixed and tries a 90 degree turn at 80.

His friends are great. They didn't even try to stop him. You can also hear the clutch cracking from (most likely) being glowing hot.

His friends are great. They didn't even try to stop him.

Yeah I think that's the biggest facepalmy detail in this vid. I doubt they're his friends any more. :lol:

Honestly though I don't see the tragedy here, he just finally went through a clutch. Doing this sort of thing with a car does that and he obviously knows it. I wonder what a new set costs for a Z06. Jay Leno's my source for Vette knowledge and he says parts for it are cheap, so I guess it'd only be about a couple sets of tires' worth.

Yeah I think that's the biggest facepalmy detail in this vid. I doubt they're his friends any more. :lol:

Honestly though I don't see the tragedy here, he just finally went through a clutch. Doing this sort of thing with a car does that and he obviously knows it. I wonder what a new set costs for a Z06. Jay Leno's my source for Vette knowledge and he says parts for it are cheap, so I guess it'd only be about a couple sets of tires' worth.

Jay Leno's idea of cheap is a bit off. The engine is cheap as the SBC is used in a many vehicles. However to my knowledge the Corvette is the only car which uses that transaxel. Parts for it could be high.

I don't think these were his friends. They looked like mechanics for the garage so they probably saw the smoke and saw dollar signs.

What an idiot. How can you not notice it isn't the tires that are spinning?

But yeah, weird that his "friends" doesn't interfere.. If not for his, then for the cars sake!

See Posmo, he wouldn't have had this problem if he had been driving FWD. Rear-wheel drools!

Reactions: Jay
Obviously the clutch was on its last legs.

But on a related note, I've seen burnout videos where only 1 wheel will spin, which I believe usually is the case with most RWD cars due to their open differentials? Whereas sportscars like the Corvette would have LSD or maybe full locking diff so you should never see just 1 wheel spinning, which maybe why that camera guy moving to the other side to see maybe only that other wheel was spinning....which seemed a bit funny but understandable.

epic! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I dunno about that, I'm fairly cure you could annihilate even a brand new clutch by forcing it to slim with the clutch fully engaged and maximum RPM differential (redline the engine, and keep the rest of the drivetrain locked and unmoving by holding it with the brakes). It'll soak up a TON of heat REALLY quickly from all that friction because you're converting every watt of power the engine is producing into heat at the clutch.

Peak horsepower on that Z06 is 505HP - which is 376578.435 watts. A typical residential electrical connection in the United States (110v/100A) will only do 11000 watts. That idiot is taking enough energy to power an entire neighborhood and converting it all to heat - in his clutch - for a full 28 seconds - the clutch probably had to soak up in the neighborhood of 10544196.2 joules

To make it clear just how the fuck much energy that is, on the back of the envelope (and using wikianswers for some necessary physical constants, so possibly outright wrong) is enough to raise the temperature of a kilogram of steel by more than 21000 degrees celsius - unquestionably melting the everlasting piss out of it.

Fortunately for him there's more than a kilogram of material involved - unfortunately some of it likely had a lower melt point than steel anyway.

But on a related note, I've seen burnout videos where only 1 wheel will spin, which I believe usually is the case with most RWD cars due to their open differentials? Whereas sportscars like the Corvette would have LSD or maybe full locking diff so you should never see just 1 wheel spinning, which maybe why that camera guy moving to the other side to see maybe only that other wheel was spinning....which seemed a bit funny but understandable.

Unless the guy knew nothing about driving a manual (which after watching the video IS entirely possible) then I wouldn't think the clutch wasn't the issue. You could here him say that the car had 8000 miles. That would be very uncharacteristic for a clutch to fail at that mileage, even WITH a tool that knew nothing about driving it up to that point.

About the one wheel spinning, yes it is possible on some vehicles. Not on a ZO6 Vette though.

:lol: Seriously he deserves those costly repairs. GM's warranty won't cover that hoonery. While I don't care for Corvettes I cringe when ANY car gets basically destroyed in any sort of fashion by their idiot owner,

:lol: Seriously he deserves those costly repairs. GM's warranty won't cover that hoonery. While I don't care for Corvettes I cringe when ANY car gets basically destroyed in any sort of fashion by their idiot owner,

Actually, in the video description it does say that it was repaired under warranty by Chevy. I find that very odd as they won't cover malfunctions while on a race track, so why cover malfunctions by trying to do a burnout?

He probably whined moaned and complained to the dealership/car company and got his way. This is filed under abuse (to the car--which wasn't used properly) and fraud. I'd sue him if I were GM. And since the evidence is out on video--duh--its an easy call.