[14x06] December 27th, 2009 [South America Special]

[14x06] December 27th, 2009 [South America Special]

• Total voters
Wonder how they hid all the sheep? :lol:

They digitally removed them in Post Production. It's why they were working in the Editing Booth to the wire this Series - it's a time-intensive process.

Those that were not digitally recycled (via image manipulation / morphing software) into llamas, of course. ;)

Most of it was scripted. It almost had to be. Doesn't make for any less of an interesting show though.

The Rover broke down off camera quite a bit.

Bugger, no one was supposed to figure that out... you know, the first part was actually filmed in Epping (tropical rain) Forest and the end was shot on Brean Downs in Somerset. Mind you, it's amazing how they managed to make the Brecon Beacons look that arid and lifeless. Wonder how they hid all the sheep? :lol:
They even resurrected Stanley Kubrick to shoot it cause he did such great work on the moon landing!

Most of it was scripted. It almost had to be. Doesn't make for any less of an interesting show though.

FYI: "scripted" in the FinalGear sense means "shot Hollywood-style according to a pre-written, predeterminded, rehearsed script".

Last edited:
And I don't like to mention the dreaded 'S' word, but it seems that some viewers beleive that the WHOLE thing was scripted, I overheard someone at work talking about it who thinks that the whole thing was shot in the UK! Tool!:bangin:

God you must have some really bad roads up your way.:lol:

Top episode this!

First thing of many that made me fall out of my chair laughing:

Jeremy: "We're very close to the equator, perhaps we're on it!"
Hammond: "No we can't be, we'd see a big dotted line!"

:lol::lol::lol: And then the "slick" getting onto the raft! :lol::mrgreen:

I think a lot less things are staged than all the paranoids on here think. the only thing that seemd a bit obvious to me was the Landcruiser going down the dune.

For the rest all of it is a "could be", and for that reason .. I don't care! :)
Was it fun? Yes! Then shut it!

so good im downloading the 1080i rip

I had to register to comment about this amazing episode. This is so far easily the best episode from season 14, i especially loved the landscape and how those cars managed to survive. Rock on Top Gear! 10/10 from me.

Last edited:
It could just be as simple as the driver was driving somewhere, got to his destination, turned round and was coming back when he encountered Clarkson.

I as well as many other people think it was genuine. Yeah they probably filmed the close up shots and the wheel on the edge shots later, but I don't care really. If they didn't and just kept the wide angle view and the internal camera people would have complained then too....

Well, same thing happened with the Dacia Sandero they used in the Romanian special -- pretty sure the plate was the same throughout. Obviously we don't care that much if that part is staged (and to wreck the car at the end, they either would have had to purchase it or have the consent of the owner).

In the eyes of the production team, there's very little difference between these two scenarios.

Well, same thing happened with the Dacia Sandero they used in the Romanian special -- pretty sure the plate was the same throughout.

No, it was not.
There were (at least) two Sanderos involved. One carried along by the crew used for the "Dacia Sandero"-moments and the second one given to May by Clarkson. May's "what, some wood?" when Clarkson points at the Sandero may be read as a sign that one silver Sandero was a familiar sight for the TG baggage.

"Car Park" Sandero moment:
4240254139_244bb5f3a4.jpg

The same car during the "it's a Dacia Sandero"-moment on the motorway:
4241029296_fa69b70f29.jpg

I think this Sandero also shows up in Bucarest traffic right behind Ricard and Jezza sometimes.

And a different car being given to James May later on:
4241028676_48262c621a.jpg

The problem is that people are obsessing with TG's scriptedness so much they see things that are not there. I had to convince a friend (by producing video evidence, none the less!) that Oliver's backlights do not change from oval to round and back during him sinking in the river in 10x04.

Last edited:
No, it was not.
There were (at least) two Sanderos involved. One carried along by the crew used for the "Dacia Sandero"-moments and the second one given to May by Clarkson. May's "what, some wood?" when Clarkson points at the Sandero may be read as a sign that one silver Sandero was a familiar sight for the TG baggage.

"Car Park" Sandero moment:

The same car during the "it's a Dacia Sandero"-moment on the motorway:
I think this Sandero also shows up in Bucarest traffic right behind Ricard and Jezza sometimes.

And a different car being given to James May later on:

The problem is that people are obsessing with TG's scriptedness so much they see things that are not there. I had to convince a friend (by producing video evidence, none the less!) that Oliver's backlights do not change from oval to round and back during him sinking in the river in 10x04.

WOW, you take this continuity thing very seriously....

next time just tell your friends to get a life and watch it themselves so you don't have to waste your time :p

next time just tell your friends to get a life and watch it themselves so you don't have to waste your time :p

You never had a drunken argument were you just wanted to proof your right just because, did you? ;)

^ Yes! I've had a couple of those - although it's usually which episode did such and such happen - it's never gotten that detailed!

I guess some people can't just can't enjoy TG for being TG :(

My business Metal Tech 4x4 which you can see the sticker on our cage that was installed in Hammond's FJ40 were down there as vehicle consultants. Mark Hawley and myself Travis Telleria (see ending credits). Mark was apart of the first half in the jungle and the big build up of the 3 trucks. I came down at the beginning of the road of death, did the build and continued on to Chile with the crew while Mark flew home after the big build.

The elevation is true, they did get up to 17,000ft, I wasn't that much further down below at roughly 16,000ft while they filmed up there. It is rough not being acclimatized to the altitude. I was always short of breath, feel like you have a hang over, and a constant runny nose. Just basic movement feels like you are doing a marathon, it was a challenge but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

I can also tell you that there wasn't much scripted during my time down there except for a few bits and pieces. Most of it was on the fly as trucks broke down, getting stuck, etc. It was a great experience to witness this and see some very beautiful scenery along the way. I won't be revealing too much about what happened behind the scenes since we are going to write an article and submit it to a magazine.

The '74 FJ40 did live a rough life, far worse than the other two. It had a lot of bad fixes, mechanical failures, etc from poor maintenance and just the over all use of the vehicle in that area. The Land Cruiser hands down was the 4x4 that most Bolivians drove in La Paz and in the jungle. To purchase one down there they are just as much in the states which is about $5,000. The people do whatever they can to keep them in their families and pass them down because of their reliability. The FJ40 Land Cruiser did fight till the end, as poor of shape as it was in it still ran at 65mph with 35" tires with the stock 1f straight 6cyl motor and 4.11 gears. It had water get into the engine through the carburetor, oil was pumping out the pcv valve into the carb and all around it, oil was in the radiator fluid, and it still started up every time and kept on ticking. It also ran on the front end alone for 600 miles doing highway speeds.
Very cool. Did you also do work on the other vehicles?

I have to say the Bolivia special is absolutely the best adventure episode they have made. I loved it.

Just plain excellence...
"The scope of my engineering genious, literally, knows no bounds. Because, as you can see, the vents I cut in the bonnet are now windows. So I can see where I'm going, the engine is cool, all is well." :D