Highways Agency ban the word 'motorists'. No really.

Davetouch

is un-Stoppable
Car(s)
'00 9-3 2.0 Turbo Vert, Various MGs, '99 Ringoo
No really really.

The Telegraph said:
The edict is included in a lengthy set of guidelines issued by the Agency, setting out what language its employees should and should not use. Other terms to be avoided include "winter maintenance", "off-peak hours" and "the travelling public".
---
James May, the television presenter, called the guidance a "complete waste of time and money".

"It's pretty preposterous," he said. "It's not the Government's job to tell their staff how to speak. They should tell them not to be racist or not to incite murder, but not the correct word for someone who happens to be in a car. For God's sake, we're all grown-ups.

"The word 'motorists' covers people driving cars very well. Admittedly it doesn't cover people on bicycles but then we have the word 'cyclists' for that, and 'pedestrians' for people who are walking.
---
Asked to justify the ban on "motorists", a spokeswoman for the Department for Transport said: "The dictionary definition of a motorist is a car driver. As an agency we target all road users, including those in vans, buses and on motorcycles, not just those that travel in cares. The word 'driver' is a more inclusive term."

Source

Fucking hell our authorities are retarded.

Obviously your country has no other problems whatsoever to solve.

lol @ England

edit: Ok, England is a cool country. Ive had some of the best times of my life in England, plus Top Gear is from england, But this^ is absolutely hilarious

Last edited:
And people wonder why my opinion of the Brit government is so low....

"The dictionary definition of a motorist is a car driver. As an agency we target all road users, including those in vans, buses and on motorcycles, not just those that travel in cares. The word 'driver' is a more inclusive term."

Vans, buses and motorcycles have motors. Motorist implies using a motorized vehicle. Motorist applies to all drivers of vehicles with onboard power plants.

Morons.

PS, how do you travel in "cares"?

a care is a hybrid becaise they care about the environment.

So in essence, the Highways Agency needs to be downsized because clearly there's not enough to do.

Serious waste of time and money.

And people wonder why my opinion of the Brit government is so low....

The US Government is not exactly any better.

They have far too much time on their hands to come to the conclusion that the word 'motorist' is discriminatory. I'm also quite amused by the fact that in the article it says that it is to make them sound more human. Turning them into robots is more human, is it?

Edit: "Include references to our concern for the environment where appropriate,". :lol: I suspect that is getting into the guidelines of every company and every ecomentalist in the world. [slow patronising voice]Because it makes us look like we care.[/slow patronising voice]

Last edited:
Well our legislature just mandated that teens cannot tan without a parent present. Texas needs some help too...

I think that is indoor tanning, with those stupid tanning beds.

That's not a bad thing, given the issues with melanoma that people are having. Teens often will overdo it and hey, presto, skin cancer!

That's not a bad thing, given the issues with melanoma that people are having. Teens often will overdo it and hey, presto, skin cancer!
Either that or they'll get cast as an extra on the jersey shore.

Well our legislature just mandated that teens cannot tan without a parent present. Texas needs some help too...

cocks.jpg

The case for that law.