[Polar Challenge Special] July 25th, 2007

This was one of the best episodes ever, it had everything: humour, drama everything that you would expect from a Top Gear episode

This was one of the best episodes ever, it had everything: humour, drama everything that you would expect from a Top Gear episode

I couldn't say it better, I just got round to watching it, a great show all around.

I received the BluRay today. Will be a nice evening :)

Just finished watching the 1080p version.
WOW!!!!! I WANT EVERY EPISODE OF TOP GEAR in 1080p!!!!!!

I don?t know if anybody had bought this up ... but I think at 48 minutes when Jeremy and James have an argument while putting up the tent ... murder wasn?t that far away ...

And I?m guessing this is half contious (since at those temps you are more like drunk than you are at your normal self) ... but Jezza walks to the Rifle on the Car as if he were to use it ...

http://img32.imageshack.**/img32/7417/shotgun1.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.**/img32/915/shotgun2.jpg

:blink:

Also please remember Hammond and "the shovel" some minutes in the episode earlier ... damn, that must really be going to your extremes at those temps. Not much seperating you from the animal within in those conditions I guess ...

Last edited:
I think Hammond and the shovel was a bit more of a joke, but I agree that the arguments between Jezza and May did seem very heated.

I think Hammond and the shovel was a bit more of a joke, but I agree that the arguments between Jezza and May did seem very heated.
I don?t think hammond was joking ... but even if he was ... I?m happy they left all that in because I guess/think that sort of thing is what those extreme conditions do to everyone. It adds that bit of scaryness and realism that sets this apart from mainstream telly ...

Do you all remember the bit when they where stuck in the ice field and Jeremy asked James to turn off the camera.
You could tell there that the guys where at the end of there tether.
And i think think the person who edited the film blank it out as i do not think James switch the camera off.
I know it none of my business but part of me always wonders what went off then.

I just watched this this morning again..

I wonder if they ever turned the heater on in the truck?

I would have!

They might have the heater on, but considering there moving through an environment with temperatures well below the freezing point of water, it might not have been the most-effective system.

I remember one of the boys saying they could not put the heater on.
Something to do with the cameras.

I know they weren't supposed to use them because that would be 'cheating'.

But screw that! Even if they only raised the temp up to just over the freezing point..I'd have done it.

1. The thing about the cameras is correct, when shooting in arctic temperatures condensation is a big risk.

2. They were wearing Canada Goose Resolute coats, from personal experience I can tell you that not only would extra heat be unnecessary it would be positively uncomfortable even in -20C conditions!

Last edited:
How'd they get home?

How'd they get home?

Anyone know how they all got home? Did they have to drive all the way back through that, or did the meet a ship or plane somewhere? What about Richard & the dog team?

The crew took the cars back while a plane picked up Jeremy and James.
Richard also got a plane back but he had to wait a while they either fixed the plane or got a different plane because the thing that lets the plane land on ice got broke.