Renting a manual car

^ Yep, rent a wreck has a 5 dollar surcharge on a 20 dollar rental if you're under 25.

I have actually looked at Ryder and Uhaul (I'll have to check Penske).
Penske and Ryder's consumer trucks don't have manuals. You have to look at the commercial rentals (Just make up a fake company name, it works.) - the big issue is that you aren't going to want to take one on your commute because the baby commercial trucks are all automatics as well. You only get manual from 20ft box on up - which on a commute means you'll spend more time learning how to drive a tank in traffic than you will learning how to drive a manual.

Don't know if this applies in your situation, but:

Most rental places I've been to, will ask what kind of car you have now, and will sort of ask you why you're renting the car.

"Oh, just because if it's because yours is in the shop, we might be able to get a better deal for you..."

Just don't blurt out:
"It's cause I want to learn how to drive a manual and want to tear up and destroy your car instead of the one I want to buy. " :)

I rented a manual once a long time ago. And the place, Enterprise, had me show that I could drive a manual before they actually handed over the keys.

Rent-A-Wreck has a Lexus SC300 with a stick for 67.99