[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

• Total voters
Didn't really like any of the cars on the episode.

The X6 test was really annoying. I don't like the car but about everything Clarkson said was just rubbish.
The iDrive has the wide screen so you can put the navigation on the right side of the screen and then use other stuff on the left side. The navigation directions will override everything you do on the iDrive but he had obviously learned how to turn them off since the M5 review (the slash on the arrow on the left side of the map). And why do you have to push the air distribution button if you want to turn the heat up? Why didn't he just turn the knob? It has no effect on the iDrive.
The gear lever was obviously wrong as it wasn't the same as in a Golf but the same as in every racing or rally car. The flappy paddles also used the same method as rally cars.
Also the only thing that was worse compared to the range rover on the grassy hill was slower speed and wide performance tires. The problem wasn't with the gear box or the ride height or the locking differential. All the wheels were clearly spinning so no locking differential needed.

I also found that really annoying. He wanted to make it seem bad so he did.

The air distribution was silly but even more so was the way he reviewed the bmw 4wd. I would like to see them both, the range rover and the x6, with the same tires on the same exact path and we'll see how bad it is. Because this review was truly rubbish regarding the 4wd.

Nevertheless I liked this last ep. It was funny, I loved the visuals in lexus review (man those guys know their work in the effects department) though I do hate the fact that they timed it in the wet. Such special cars like this should be properly raced because this thing is amazing and I bet everyone wants to know how fast it goes in the dry. because it is just, wow.

Ive never heard of Seastick Steve before, weird. Such a cool guy. James was also funny ... No point going on, it was a good ep and Im looking forward to the next season.

Hope they stay more or less the same and not try too much new stuff

Last edited:
One of the best in my opinion, the right balance between car show and cocking about.

10/10, make series 15 like this please :)
Yes! :) Last three episodes were much better than episodes before those.
And this episode was the best episode i have seen in a long time.

:)

Last edited:
Second best episode of the series IMO. LFA visuals were off the scale brilliant (yes, I liked that!). The X6 review was great too and on spot with the verdict. A nice slap in the face for everyone complaining about how TG is too expensive ... :mrgreen:
Studio segments and news felt alive and relativley uncut for the first time this series. Apart from Stiggie and Hammond at the End of course ... but I guess it wasted time well :)
The Guest ... I skipped after the first minute. :rolleyes:
James, the Vauxhall and the sign-lady ... was pretty good. Nice mix of interesting facts with a car review. Lacked a verdict though. While James did point out that price and perfomance might be spot on with the insignia vxr but that it doesn?t look that good ... he kind of forgot to tell us to get one or not to.

I enjoyed this one ... I really did.

Last edited:
The air distribution was silly but even more so was the way he reviewed the bmw 4wd. I would like to see them both, the range rover and the x6, with the same tires on the same exact path and we'll see how bad it is. Because this review was truly rubbish regarding the 4wd.

Don't fool yourself, the BMW is rubbish offroad. In the RR it's just turning the switch and all systems are go.
Don't go telling me a car without locking diffs and low range performs exactly the same as a car with these tricks.

If you go on youtube and look at the statistics for seasick steve videos they go up wildly after yesterday and Britain is like solid green from all the UK users watching. Way to go Top Gear!

It wasn't dull. That's the most generous compliment I can give to this episode.

James May's guest, Margaret Calvert, was amazing. At least, from the point of view of a designer. I watched that part twice.
Jermey's testing bad/pointless SUVs from Germany was a favorite running gag, and they left best for last. The snow was the funniest thing ever.
Richard seems to have forgotten that Toyota has actually made 2 super cars, and they were both awesome. I wish that car cost as much as a Supra did. I'm sure the price is a reflection of the development cost.:?

Supra is super car killer, not super car :p (in 90-s)

Last edited:
Good episode! And SeaSick Steve is a very interesting guy. And StarFox is right, way more interesting than Button.

I think this wasnt the best one of the series, there was no cheap car challenge or an event the boys were togheter - that "This year / next year" stuff was quite funny but it wasnt the best.

Greetz

Seasick Steve is easily the coolest guest Top Gear's ever had. That's right, you Limey wankers, Americans are badass, and there's proof. :cool:

Lexus LF-A was a jaw-dropping film; I actually said "holy shit!" while watching it. Love the boundaries they're pushing.

Seasick Steve is easily the coolest guest Top Gear's ever had. That's right, you Limey wankers, Americans are badass, and there's proof. :cool:

Too cool for his own country he had to leave it and find a continent as cool as him and subsequently got his breakthrough and recognition in the UK. And still lives here from what he said.

That's right back at you, "buddy". :p

Really great episode! One of the best this season.

That Lexus LFA is very boring though. Not Richard's review - the actual car. I don't want it.

Loved it. Actually, I enjoyed this entire series for that matter. Then again, I also don't watch it just to dissect every bit of it just to critique it on the internet.

Reactions: Jay
They could have taken the VXR around the track to waste a little bit of time. I liked the tests and even the road sign part. 8/10 for not being terrible

A 8 to 8.5, but gave it a 9 because of her :wave:
9sgbxv.jpg

Lexus LF-A: IS-F is a lot more closer to "Lexus image" than LF-A. And, while revving the engine towards 9000rpm, the "L" badge will not bother me, not a millisecond!
The exterior is pretty futuristic but the interior design and color choices are a little bit too much. They should have sticked to a more normal scheme. There are to many colors and materials and they simply do not match (a weird shade of red, the "carbon fiber" and that gold-grey color of the center console, etc...
If the price amazes you, think that in US they would sale it for the same amount, but in $, thus, you see that the actual price is not "important" for Lexus. And if you think how long they tinkered at this car, the price is actual pretty low: high tech/rev V10, a lot of carbon fiber and titanium, electronics, etc...
The car is not for me. I like supercars but for this price I would just buy a GT3 and invest the rest in a nice house somewhere in Spain, near that Ascari track complex.

Indeed, the Carrera GT sounds very similar...just that LF-A is more F1 (like M5) while the Porsche is more like a high revving V8 with V12 sprinkles.

And, watch the Carrera GT review...the LF-A one could/should have been done the same.

Insignia OPC/VXR: nice try, but what about bringing next time a competitor too? Comparing this one to S4 and 335ix would have made it a little better.

X6: yeah, same opinion...a dinosaur, something like a Q7 for singles.
For that grassy hill you do not need blocking differentials or low range (!?!?why?) Just play with your right foot and use the diesel engine torque. You will make it through.
The "flappy" levers are ok, think that you only have a torque converter automatic not a double clutch or automated clutch gearbox and it takes years anyway before it changes a gear in manual mode.
If I hear one more "bad" think about the iDrive and how complicated it is I will explode :blink: If iDrive was soooo bad (hey, you should have sampled the first generations, in the 7-series...the following ones, shared then also with 5 and 3 series was way better) why it was so much copied by almost every other car maker? I am older than 14, never red the manual in my life but was able to use it after 5 minutes of fooling around with it. And no, I am not a computer geek, i am more like JC (during my first hours with an 1 Series in 2005, I was closing the navigator screen with my hand:rolleyes: ) Compare it with the original MMI from Audi or the Command APS from Mercedes...ha...
You want a crazy navigation system? VOLVO...now this is one that drives me crazy.

I am amazed that no one mentioned how JC took a jab at Frau Quandt and her extra-conjugal affair...:cool:

Pretty good episode, though James' bit really did feel like they were low on cash. Still, it was definitely a car show, and a very good one. And yeah, the X6 part did feel like one of Jezza's reviews on old Top Gear.

Another thing about the X6 review is that it felt like it had been filmed some time ago. For one, it uses the old i-Drive system, and two, it doesn't look like full HD to me.

This wasn't the best Top Gear episode but...BUT :

"You must have spent a fortune on this...my name's Brian not Brain and that?s an ice hockey player on top"
=))
This was the funniest moment in television history, I can?t stop laughing; whoever thought of it deserves a special accolade?a real one. I had a really bad trading day but this cured it so, if the person who came up with that idea is reading this: thank you very much!

PS: They did something similar in Family Guy- Brain, the dog- but with far less effect.
PPS: unexpectedly spine tingling sound of the year: Lexus LFA V10

^ you are aware they gave away cheap plastic trophies with intentional spelling errors on the badge in earlier seaons, yes?