Most awesome cars of the decade!

nist7

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL
There is a thread on the most disappointing cars of the decade, but luckily there have been a TON of awesome cars produced in this first decade of this century (2000-2009) that I think it would be fun to see what everyone thinks are the 3 most awesome/important cars of the decade. 1 is a bit too restrictive in terms of 10years' worth of cars and 5 or 10 is too much and no one will read those long lists, so I thought 3 seemed like a good compromise.

So something like one supercar category (Veyron, Enzo, Zonda F, Reventon, etc.), one sportscar category (350Z, Z06, M3, etc.), and then another car of your choosing (CTS-V, Toyota Prius, M5, Ariel Atom, etc. etc.)

I think in terms of the American market, and what it meant to America... the 2002 WRX has to be one of the top cars of the decade. It opened up the doors for a lot of other cars in this country in my opinion.

Not sure about "most important" but my three favorites were:

1. McLaren SLR
2. Ferrari F430
3. E46 BMW M3

Last edited:
1. Lamborghini Murcielago.
Introduced in 2001 the big Lambo ruled the supercar-genre until the very end of its lifespawn, climaxing with SV -model.

2. Mercedes CLS.
When it was first shown as a concept the reaction from motoring press and audience was so positive it made swiftly to production (2004 onwards) and it's styling is currently copied by many manufacturers. Yet, it's still achingly beatiful everytime you see one.

3. Mini
Bmw revived the Mini in the beginning of the decade (2001) and it was a massive hit. I don't know how much they sold it but enough to start a movement. Bmw made supermini cool again. Others are more or less replicating the pattern (see Volvo C30, new Citroen DS and Fiat 500).

McLaren F1.

/thread

McLaren F1.

/thread

Not quite, the F1 is from the 90's. But I second the Veyron, just because of the sheer tecnological achievement. I don't think we'll see anything quite like it for some time. For design, I think the Reventon will stay in history, as well as many modern Astons. The Mk3 Range Rover as well for taking the design of the original and translating it so well into a modern car without any Mini or Fiat 500 retro gimmicks.

Last edited:
The new Ford Mustang.

Model-T Ford! Oh, wait, wrong decade too, huh?

I'd say the R8 TDI, by showing that not only can Diesel be used for racing, it can blow the competition clear out the water and be "economical" at the same time.

That and the Honda FCX Clarity, for the obvious reasons.

I'd say the R8 TDI, by showing that not only can Diesel be used for racing, it can blow the competition clear out the water and be "economical" at the same time. when the rule book clearly favors diesels and/or the track doesn't have too many corners.

Last edited:
Veyron, Enzo, Veyron again DB9.

Last edited:
I would say the three cars of the decade are:
Bugatti Veyron - An engineering landmark, we won't see anything like it for a long time.
Porsche Cayman - Probably the best sports car ever.
Renault Clio 197 - Proved that you can go very fast and have lots of fun for almost no money at all. A giant killer.

1 Bugati Veyron
2 Lamborghini Gallardo Balboni
3 Mercedes SLS (Yes i actually like it :) )

Edit: 300th post, woho! :D

The new Ford Mustang.

Do you mean the 2011 Model? :blink:

I'd have to give it to the Pagani Zonda. I think it started originally in '99 but its basically a car of the 0's. Why?

It set new benchmarks in a variety of categories. Primarily the design, attention detail, and absolute quality of the finished product. In no other car (especially Ferrari and Lamborghini) do you get the sort of superb craftsmanship that Pagani puts in every car. The performance is also absolutely staggering. To me, this car has rewritten the rulebook for supercars and is the greatest thing since the Mclaren F1, perhaps even matching it with the 'F Clubsport' model. It is perhaps not focused to the absolute like the Mclaren, but the amazing detailing makes up for it.

pagani-zonda-f-roadster.jpg

to name the asked three ...
The Veyron - no need to explain why.

The Mini. BMW (basically) raped the brand by making the new one rather big, unpractical and dreadfully expensive ... but gave the world a great piece of design with good performance and handling. And what a success it was (and still is) in terms of sales all over the world ... even in the united states of america ... I struggle to find overall worldwide sales figues, but wikipedia says that they produce up to 240000 a year ... and it?s been on sale since 2001. Do the math yourself. The mini almost single-handedly but small fast hatchbacks back on the map all over the world. I?d never consider buying one, but when it comes to "cars of the decade", the mini can?t be ignored.

The DB9. Another resurrection, but this time it?s the fast luxury GT. The elegant, gentleman travel-box on wheels that was a bit forgotten and in the shadows of the mighty sports-cars and small nimble roadsters of the 90ies and 80ies came back ... and what a comeback indeed. Easiliy the best looking car of the decade and a huge comeback for Aston Martin ...

F6 typhoon has to be the car of the decade from Australia.

Agreed, however I'd like to add the Ford Territory, because it is undoubtably a very clever car, and despite its problems, the pseudo-4x4 style is very popular and has a point when you get 7 seats and more cubbyholes than a daycare centre, and a drive thats not far off a normal car. And the Territory Turbo is a Cayenne S for a third of the price, and nowhere near as ugly. Its also something different from the large sedans that were the only things built here.