Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

I actually put this as kind of a joke on my wishlist, but my mom took it seriously :lol:

That's OK, it's still fun :D

:threadnopics:

I'd love to see the world through the eyes collar of a dog :p

Last edited:
Guys, do you know where I can find pictures of the taken with earlier DSLR?s like the Kodak DSC100 or any other of the first models to be offered?

Any pointers for photographing fireworks?

Yeah, I guess my planning was not that terrible then, but few good points there.

Now it just becomes down to location, location, location.

I mentioned in another thread (at least I don't think it was this one) the army photographer with the somewhat battered D3s. It turns out that some people at Nikon saw the thread in question and sent some parts his way:

Nikon UK said:
Dear Sgt,

...The talk Photography thread gave us a good laugh and your Flickr images are amazing-great credit to the cameras but I'm sorry to hear you're the butt of the jokes by the Canon boys-this just won't do. As we all know our cameras are generally far better made. I am pleased to inform you that we have now posted out a couple of replacement screws to your barracks.

Kind regards and all the best for Christmas and the New Year.

Nikon UK Pro Support

I thought that was pretty cool of them. Having said that as it's a public forum it's no doubt a nice bit of PR work at the same time.

Very interesting, Dr_Q!

After reading lots about flash photography today, I'm again wanting to to buy a flash for my D60. Must resist. I don't have time for it, nor have any friends for portraits, no proper pp-software, or time, or proper lens and can't justify spending 250 euros. Must not buy.

But I still wants a SB-600...AARRRGH! :cry:

^Tell me about it. I am trying to convince myself NOT to blow my entire first salary in a flash....

^Tell me about it. I am trying to convince myself NOT to blow my entire first salary in a flash....

Spending about 4 hours at -24 with my tripod kinda made me forgot about flashes. Had a small adventure almost getting stuck in snow with my dad's car at small backroad. Narrower tires, AWD or a lighter car would have been useful...would have spared whopping 50 meters of walking. I blame my co-driver not telling me we were almost there. :lol:

Yeah, top tip: artic (well not quite) photography makes you forget wanting to buy a flash.

Last edited:
Is this camera a good camera for the price? I really want to get more into photography but is difficult with my point and shoot.

Well I'm looking for a inexpensive way to get into photography, I don't want to spend a ton of money. That Nikon is more advanced than my point and shoot and from what I can see the least I'll spend on an SLR is $450. So I'd like to get a more advanced camera to ease my way in, this is why I'm asking you guys because I know nothing. If any one could point me in a better direction I would appreciate it!

Last edited:
450USD?

For that price, B&H will sell you an Olympus E-520, a Sony Alpha a230 and a Canon 1000D, all with kit lenses.

They're all very good, they're all very easy to use, try to get to a photo store to try holding them, and pick the one that's most comfortable in your hands.

And they're dSLRs.

I think he meant that 450 USD is the smallest amount you can have a DSLR which is too much for his budget.

Last edited:
My bad. It's cold, and I've only slept for four hours tonight.

I recently got one of those photo tents for macro stuff, 24" cube. It didn't come with lights, however. Any suggestions for a cheap but adequate set? Or should I got to walmart or something and buy a pair of cheap table lamps?

Last edited: