I want to buy a new router TODAY

Yes, but does it handle vast ammounts of data better than the stock software?

Shame that alot of N routers are trash,

my linksys WRT300N v1 and V2 are both crap

i have a Linksys WRT160N and aside from the moderate NAT type, ive had no problems. maybe its just the WRT300N?

yeah it was a pretty early N device, so it doesn't really surprise me. I actually bought the V2 first and my dad bought the V1 for cheap and has since upgraded. I use the V1 day to day with DD-WRT as the default firmware is crap

Yes, but does it handle vast ammounts of data better than the stock software?

Absolutely. Because it uses a more recent kernel and has sane network settings by default, it can easily handle such things that make stock firmware cry, such as torrenting, multiple users on WPA, and fast LAN copies.

I use a WRT300N with DD-WRT. Works well. Though heavy bittorrenting can overload it with the layer 7 QOS I have it do. But for the most part is works out pretty well.

I posted the exact model number on here once before, but I have had HUGE success with Xyzel products and recommend them to anyone.

I haven't received it yet. Canada Post blows chunks.

It's a good thing I ordered it though: my WGR614 has just died completely. I plug it in and... nothing. No lights, nada.

Stupid thing is: I have a RP614v2 and a D-Link DI-704p, both of which seem to have major connectivity problems. They work anywhere between two and twenty minutes and then just quit. There's no indication they quit (ie.: the lights report normally), but I have only a network connection; no connection to the Internet or the router's control panel.

I know I'm late but I recommend the WRT54GL with Tomato. Best QoS system and stable.

Attachments

• router.PNG
    router.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 55
I've got the WRT54GL running the default firmware. So far so good; no crashes. If it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it with Tomato.

Figures, no one posts for ages so I gave up.
I bought a new router today: Linksys WAG54G.
I didn't need any of that 802.11N stuff, so decided to go with that one.

After my rather limited stress test I have the following results:
  • It's pretty slow to pick up the internet connection after me putting in the settings, but that's my first go at it, I'm not sure how it compares to other modems.
  • Pretty slow to restart after changing the settings
  • Damn stable so far
  • Had no complaints about torrents, but I'll let you know how it goes when I test the line to it's limits.
  • Slightly slower line speed than the previous router + modem

But we all know how these things deteriorate with time.

I'd recommend building the damn thing yourself:

Based on an AMD K6-2 with 192 MB ram and a floppy disk for the operating system ;)

I know of a D-Link DIR-655 that works like a charm, but it's a bit pricey. Newer firmware allows for usb storage, network printer (through some software) and other devices afaik.

Just wanted to throw in my vote for the D-Link DGL-4300. Bought it in 2005(?) when I got FIOS installed at the house and it has been rock solid. I can run tons of torrents without a hiccup, it has QoS, gigabit ports...the only thing it doesn't have is N band wireless. Unfortunately, the follow-on to this unit that has the N stuff doesnt have good reviews. :(

Yeah, that's what I've gathered. Unfortunately, they seem to be the only routers that are rock-solid.

So, put it this way: money no object, what is the most reliable router without getting into

<FATMOUSE is ignoring this part>

the complications of business-class routers?

</FATMOUSE-ignore>

CRS1_FF_46_300.jpg

i have both a WRT160N [Primary] and a WRT54GL [Repeater mode] running DD-WRT Micro [since i haven't had the time to change to standard size.

Both are reliable :)