INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi,

My name is Terry and I live in Central Florida. Got hooked on Top Gear back when it was on the Discovery Channel. I really enjoy the forums here and look forward to participating more. Current vehicle is a 2008 VW RAbbit which I have rebadged as a Golf. Love the looks I get when I take it in for service. :)

:welcome: one and all

Please note the location of the FAQ and Forum Rules and don't forget the search function before posting or creating new threads. This can be found in the top right hand corner, third from the end.

Enjoy your stay!

thanks! Will do!

Nice. I responded to a thread last night, and the public computer I was on crashed when I hit the submit button. So this afternoon, while at work, I made an entirely new response, as the other posts made it through moderation. Now, mgkdk has marked it as spam, and I can't even respond to him. How does one "verify" the account so that one can respond to PM's? Since I can't PM a response, I'll voice it here.

While I understand multiple responses very close together as being spam, and the point of moderating responses is to control that, there was no intention of that, and having there be an infraction on my account right off without obviously having READ the posts to see that they were not only different (I didn't remember exactly what I typed last night at the public computer), but almost 24 hours apart, doesn't seem quite fair considering how most other major automotive forums are run.

^^I didn't mark is as spam, I gave you an infraction for spamming = you posting too much, and I actually did read most of it, but as it was a month-old thread that had died a natural dead I hid the posts.
Oh, and I'm a girl.

Last edited:
^^I didn't mark is as spam, I gave you an infraction for spamming = you posting too much, and I actually did read most of it, but as it was a month-old thread that had died a natural dead I hid the posts.
Oh, and I'm a girl.

Sorry about caling you a him. :D

I posted too much? 5-6 posts total? That one didn't show up today, but others did, so I assumed that due to the computer crash that it never even MADE it to moderation. Yeah, numerous posts in response over a few minute period, I can see. But one retry a DAY later?

If you read it and could tell it was different, wasn't trying to sell anything, didn't have a link to another website, etc, you could have, in your PM which I couldn't respond to, said, hey, you already responded last night. So I get an infraction and limited posting ability because the computer I was on crashed and you decided that two posts a day apart was spamming? Great. :blink:

The thread had been responded to only a few days ago (it's not like it was a thread from 2005). As I said, it's better to search and add to a recent thread on a subject rather than continually start new threads on the same subject just because you weren't around in previous weeks. In fact, on most automotive forums worldwide, it's considered proper etiquette to search and add to if it's less than a year old, rather than start yet another new thread on the same subject (if you start a new thread, everyone complains that you didn't use the search button...). Since I wasn't adding a mere one liner 'yeah I agree" response, then it should be a valid way of entering/maintaining a conversation.

Sorry, it just irks me. I'm 46, I've been playing with cars since I was 14, and been a member (and sometimes moderator) on automotive forums for over 15 years. This isn't the way to welcome new members.

Again, how does the account get verified so I can use the PMs to respond, and how many conversational posts do I have to make (and how many days do I have to wait in-between submiting and coming back here to look for them to ensure that the reason they didn't show up is due to moderation vs computer issues) before I can enter into conversations like a normal person here?

It says this at the top of the page:

Merc63: Since you have 2 or less posts, any posts you make may get sent to the moderation queue. If you want to get rid of this notice, posting in the introduce yourself thread is a good place to start. Also, please note that you cannot access the Private Message system until your account has been verified.

But it says this in my user CP:

Total Posts

Last edited:
So I get an infraction and limited posting ability because the computer I was on crashed and you decided that two posts a day apart was spamming? Great. :blink:

You didn't get any limits on your posting abilities, you have limits because you are new and if you post certain words you get moderated. Spamming can also be several posts in the same thread right after each other.

The thread had been responded to only a few days ago

Nope, last post was from december 4th.

Sorry, it just irks me. I'm 46, I've been playing with cars since I was 14, and been a member (and sometimes moderator) on automotive forums for over 15 years. This isn't the way to welcome new members.

I agree with you on that, but if you only knew the amount of crap we get from noobs, you seem to be an exception to the rule.

Again, how does the account get verified so I can use the PMs to respond, and how many conversational posts do I have to make (and how many days do I have to wait in-between submiting and coming back here to look for them to ensure that the reason they didn't show up is due to moderation vs computer issues) before I can enter into conversations like a normal person here?

I'm actually not sure, I don't think it's that many posts.

:welcome: linzibean and Sofia_Alexandra !
I like to think I'm at least partially responsible for "recruiting" you two, enjoy and have fun :)

Hi, all. Been watching TG and Fifth Gear for years, and just got around to coming to the forums. I've been involved with cars for most of my 46 years, building cars before I could drive legally (and driving since I was 5 on my dad's lap in his Renault 4CV). I've owned over a hundred cars, from Pintos to Porsches, built street rods and customs for years, as well as doing a lot of vingtage car restoration and sports car rebuilding. I raced SCCA and BSCC, as well as was a driving instructor for those, and have had the opportunity to drive a lot of different cars on the track. Currently I'm on the east coast of the US, with my 740iL, Range Rover HSE, '63 Mercury Comet convertible, and '78 MGB. But I'm originally from the Seattle area.

I hope to learn a lot here, as well as inform a lot. :D

Put a BOPR in your MGB yet. :p

You might want to stop by the "post your cars" section.
http://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/

Hi everyone,
Since I created my account a long time ago but never posted (I know, lurking is bad!!!), it is time for me to introduce myself.

My name's Francois, from France, I'm a 24 year old guy and I work in Africa. I've been watching TG since season 4 thanks to FG and it is the only non-fictionnal TV show that I watch (the only one that I don't find rubbish actually...)

I've had 2 cars, a Peugeot 306 1.4 (75 hp:burnrubber:) and then a BMW 728iA from 99 (which I have now), quite a change as far as power is concerned... The bmw is a bit of a boat but I love the looks and by girlfriend loves the comfort ;)

Cheers!

You didn't get any limits on your posting abilities, you have limits because you are new and if you post certain words you get moderated. Spamming can also be several posts in the same thread right after each other.

Ah, ok. It looked like it said that my posts woudl be limited due to the infraction.

Nope, last post was from december 4th.

In the automotive forum world, that IS only a few days ago. ;) If it had been 2008 or so, then yeah, that's a dead thread. But on most of the larger forums I'm on, a month or two is still a viable thread. In fact if you post something similar in a new thread, you tend to get told NOT to start a new thread, since there's already one on the board.

Anyhow, can I get at least the last post I sent into that thread, as I don't want to stat a new one just as a response?

I agree with you on that, but if you only knew the amount of crap we get from noobs, you seem to be an exception to the rule.

:lol: Oh, I definitely know about that. One of the forums I moderated on I left because mashing the spammers was a fulltime job. the other one I'm with uses the same basic software this site does, and it has some scripts to help. if you post the same thing more than once, a script says "you already posted a similar post." and won't let a duplicate get posted for you. It also has a script that requires 60 seconds between posts. You still have to watch for single post spammers with massive advertising links in the posts, but the amount of spam that hits the board is greatly reduced with just those two scripts.

one thing about it, spammers NEVER carry on a conversation with you! :mrgreen:

I'm actually not sure, I don't think it's that many posts.

Cool. Oh, I like the requirement of proof of ownership of the cars when posting in the car pictures thread! Gonna have to suggest that at the other sites I'm on. of course it'll be hard to do that with pics of past cars I've had... :lol:

Put a BOPR in your MGB yet. :p

You might want to stop by the "post your cars" section.
http://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/

Stopped by there with the BMW pics. I actually have a Buick 215 sitting here. it was slated to go into my buddy's MGB GT that we are working on in the garage right now. But I think he's leaning toward staying with the 4 cyl.

^ Hi Josh & :welcome:
As you can see, we are having a problem with double posts.
Some diagnostics may help, if you don?t mind & as you are still online.

Did you use Post Quick Reply or Advanced or the Reply button at the top / bottom of the thread?

Did you hit the button twice because the Post didn?t appear immediately?

Any feedback would be useful for the technical support peeps, thanks. :)

(.. and you can Delete one of them by hitting EDIT then select Advanced then Delete.)

Hey guys, new to the site..just posting to introduce myself.

I saw a link to this forum on another car site i visit and thought I would join...I may lurk for a while to get the flow of the site..just to be sure i don't get flamed.

Per the usual, Top Gear is awesome, I'm starved of my favorite show here in Texas, can't get enough of it.

As for the boring bits, I'm 25, Full time student, full time Airline employee..

I'm addicted to anything expensive and fast...

Hey guys, new to the site..just posting to introduce myself.

I saw a link to this forum on another car site i visit and thought I would join...I may lurk for a while to get the flow of the site..just to be sure i don't get flamed.

Per the usual, Top Gear is awesome, I'm starved of my favorite show here in Texas, can't get enough of it.

As for the boring bits, I'm 25, Full time student, full time Airline employee..

I'm addicted to anything expensive and fast...

Hello all! 14 seasons into the show, and I'm just now introducing myself. I absolutely love TG and figured I'd join the community :)

Uhm let's see... I'm 26, live in Quartz Hill, California and can't wait for season 15!