Datsun / Nissan 300ZX Z31 - any experience?

I'm long accustomed to the "Oils every 10k km, timing belt every 100k km" kind of schedule with the 20-year-old Japanese cars I drive. Of course, the B12 has a chain, but Mazdas run a belt. Handily enough, the Mazda B-series engines are non-interference, so if the belt were to suddenly snap, there's no engine carnage. But I don't think having to replace a belt is a design flaw; of course, the engine bay might well be cramped in Z-cars.
I'm aware of the TT Z32 being the biggest sumbitch to work on.

I'm long accustomed to the "Oils every 10k km, timing belt every 100k km" kind of schedule with the 20-year-old Japanese cars I drive. Of course, the B12 has a chain, but Mazdas run a belt. Handily enough, the Mazda B-series engines are non-interference, so if the belt were to suddenly snap, there's no engine carnage. But I don't think having to replace a belt is a design flaw; of course, the engine bay might well be cramped in Z-cars.
I'm aware of the TT Z32 being the biggest sumbitch to work on.

The Z31's engine bay isn't American-pickup huge, but it's easy enough to work on as just about everything is right on top where you can get at it. Timing belt swaps are actually facilitated by the low nose and the fact that the radiator is actually in the 'nose' and not at the leading edge of the hood.

Why are people complaining about changing timing belts all of a sudden? It's a moving part that needs to be changed. Hell in my car factory spec is every 75K but most people suggest doing it at 60....

Then go back to Digital dashboards, those things are awesome!

Then go back to Digital dashboards, those things are awesome!

I certainly liked mine, especially the combiner display they used for the tach - it combined boost level with RPM in an easily legible display. N/A cars with the display linked it to throttle position instead of boost.

I actually currently own one! :cool: Its an 87 non-turbo 5 speed

Picked it up for $1000 3 or 4 summers ago. It had 180,xxx miles on it, currently has 196,xxx miles on it. Engine and transmission are run flawlessly besides a wonky idle problem I've yet to figure out. Its not a bad car, there is still a scene with a large knowledge base and parts are available for it...

The stock suspension is wimpy and I'm still dealing with it...but planning on getting some lowering springs and replacing a lot of the suspension bushings with poly to stiffen things up, but to be completely honest it doesn't handle all that bad. The rear end squats nicely under power, chassis feels nicely planted.

timing belts are overrated :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csgmgz4ITCw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0WtMu5GCHM[/youtube]

Last edited:
From zero to - Awesome!

That's the best commercial I've ever seen.

seeing that Black Gold ad in a program about Z cars as a small boy i decided that at some point of my life i MUST own one, same with a copy of every car that has ever had pop-up headlamps, pilarless doors or a digital dash

Last edited:
The trouble is, I get one of those cars and I'm not gonna be happy with it until it looks like this:

engine.z31.vg30de.jpg

and gives out at least 300hp :D

And about the timing belt, I usually take the time to change the liquids and spark plugs of the cars I buy and inspect or change the timing belt. It's not an issue. :p

Reminds me of the FC. This is the first time I have ever in my life seen a Z31 and thought "Damn that looks good"

I'm a big fan the Z31, If u have the time and money get yourself a proper SWB and stay away from the 2+2 crap.

IMHO the best looking Z31

I think it's from risky devil crew?

I like how he cleaned off that stupid 80s bumper I hope it becomes a popular mod.

f2vadx.jpg

33xgeac.jpg

Local 1JZ powered street racers.

SWB :cheers::cheers:
e0pwno.jpg

2+2 :no::no::no::puke:
wrkopy.jpg

I'm a big fan the Z31, If u have the time and money get yourself a proper SWB and stay away from the 2+2 crap.

IMHO the best looking Z31

I think it's from risky devil crew?

I like how he cleaned off that stupid 80s bumper I hope it becomes a popular mod.

Its not really a mod. Thats just the front bumper off of an 87-89 Z31. I've got an 88 front end set aside for my 86 300ZX.

A couple of my favorites:
Toshi's Z31 with an RB26DETT (there are vids on youtube if interested)
z31_hot.jpg

Steve Mitchell's 85 300ZX with a VG33ET (was featured in Sport Compact Car back in the day). Puts out 577 rwhp last I heard.
5289450007_large.jpg

TOD1.jpg

This is actually what I had in mind, couldn't find the pic. :p

Has that 200SX look about it. And at that stage I wouldn't mind a Z31 in my drive. :)