Best driving roads (state / province)

Got a couple of great roads in Massachusetts... no wait, there arent any here :(
Two great drving roads I can think of in MA:
1. The Mohawk Trail (Rt 2) between Deerfield and North Adams. RT 2 is pretty damned good the whole way, but this is the best bit. Mountain streams, curves, picturesque little towns, no traffic (except in the Fall).

2. RT 116 from Conway to Adams. You can pick up 116 in Amherst (after enjoying a fine brew at the Moan and Dove in South Amherst... just one, that's all I'm saying) and follow it all the way to Williamstown. This is like a back-roads version of the Mohawk trail. The bit through Ashfield, MA is particularly cool.

Yes, I grew up in Western MA.

Two great drving roads I can think of in MA:
1. The Mohawk Trail (Rt 2) between Deerfield and North Adams. RT 2 is pretty damned good the whole way, but this is the best bit. Mountain streams, curves, picturesque little towns, no traffic (except in the Fall).

2. RT 116 from Conway to Adams. You can pick up 116 in Amherst (after enjoying a fine brew at the Moan and Dove in South Amherst... just one, that's all I'm saying) and follow it all the way to Williamstown. This is like a back-roads version of the Mohawk trail. The bit through Ashfield, MA is particularly cool.

Yes, I grew up in Western MA.

Mohawk Trail is nice but too much traffic and not quite twisty enough for my liking.
116 is the best I've ever been on, love it. Going up to VT/NH/NY to look for roads over the summer.
Do you still live in Mass?

Huron River Drive from Ann Arbor to Dexter is some good fun. not the most technical bit of road but rewards a sporting foot and a good car. there are lotsa curvy roads right up in my area in waterford, but they are heavily trafficked most times of the day, and patrolled frequently (they are the main roads in this area).

For Northwest Ohio, I totally Recommend Rt65 from Perrysburg to Rt424 to Defiance. Turn around in defiance, back on 424, then Cross the river in Napoleon and Take US24 back. Do it all on a DRY sub-freezing night in the early morning hours. Like from 2-4am on a weeknight. US24 is VERY dangerous in the wet, and is the only major route to Defiance, so any other time there will be huge trucks on it, and in the rain, those trucks turn that road into a frightfest because it's all 2-lane highway and you can NOT see oncoming.

The one road I am DYING to take a run on is this one I located via Google Maps in Virginia known as "Skyline Dr." and it runs from Front Royal, VA to Waynesboro through the Shenendoah National Park. I't probably the curviest road I've seen show up on almost any map i've seen. and It looks like it's easily over 100mi long. that could mean endless corner carving for some.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...38.50949,-78.338013&spn=0.992932,2.123108&z=9

I live in minnesota and up by lake superior there is service road one... I haven't had a chance to try it yet because it is still freezing and I don't feel like driving off the road but I think its about the twistiest(which isn't saying much)/ scenic/ deserted road that I could dig up in minnesota. If anyone has a better suggestion that is a reasonable distance from MPLS I would just love to know. This is the approximate address of the road
4172 Minnesota 1
Isabella, MN 55607

There's a forum for this now. This sort of info should be kept on the DL so the caravanners (and squids) don't ruin the party.

Actually the bump OP cant see the forum as it is restricted to members with 300 posts if I remember correctly.

As for the bump, not really a bad one as it is on topic and still relevant. At least they used to search function. But I am not a mod so :dunno:

Actually the bump OP cant see the forum as it is restricted to members with 300 posts if I remember correctly.

As for the bump, not really a bad one as it is on topic and still relevant. At least they used to search function. But I am not a mod so :dunno:

I agree, it wasn't a bad bump. Also, the 300-post limit is great, imo

The thing is the same guy bumped a bunch of other necrotic threads the same day in other areas for no reason.

I agree, it wasn't a bad bump. Also, the 300-post limit is great, imo

Yes, yes it is. You'd be amazed at how many people don't seem to understand there is a requirement despite the warning.

How about in Central Florida? Anyone have any recommendations? :lol::idiot:

I-4 about 2 AM. mainly from SR-417 through about lakeland. i do it 4 days a week from downtown orlando to south tampa and back and have have actually got some damn good stories. If the road is empty you can just about get away with murder.

other than that, there are some great backroads out by the mines south of plant city. some areas of at least 20 miles of strait roads in the middle of nowhere. great place to just cruise (fast). i know of no real curvy roads here, its just to flat i guess.

A 45 from Gie?en to Siegen Herborn or vice versa. Mostly uUnlimited Autobahn through the mountains with lots of relatively sharp curves and hardly any flat section. One of the best Autobahn stretches in Germany in my opinion, because it actually has curves that are tight enough to warrant slowing down (at least a little bit).

Last edited:
There's a forum for this now. This sort of info should be kept on the DL so the caravanners (and squids) don't ruin the party.

Unfortunately, some people can't access that forum - even if they have over 300 posts. :cry:

there are caravaners around this place?:?

A 45 from Gie?en to Siegen Herborn or vice versa. Mostly uUnlimited Autobahn through the mountains with lots of relatively sharp curves and hardly any flat section. One of the best Autobahn stretches in Germany in my opinion, because it actually has curves that are tight enough to warrant slowing down (at least a little bit).
except that the autobahn sucks in a roll-up-roof-hatchback with deafening wind noise over 100kph...

are there any driving roads at all in the ruhr area? i might have to spend a considerable amont of time there...
frankfurt is an awesome starting point for a drive with the taunus, rheingau, odenwald, rh?n and vogelsberg around, so i'm a bit spoiled.:cool:

A bit south around the Dh?nn are some nice corners, and "das Bergische" in general is quite an eldorado for nice landscapes and interesting roads. You can't look really far and the traffic may be a bit annoying, but it feels like home for me, Wait, it is actually.

As a compromise between frankfurt and ruhrarea I'd recommend the Sauerland. From Schmallenberg to Winterberg is a really nice trip and there are two (or more) ways to go, one of them restricted for lorries, so good for a short spin.

thats still quite a drive starting from oberhausen.:(