Where to get a tatoo designed?

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
I have an idea for a tatoo that I've been wanting for quite a while now.
The problem is, I'm not very artistic, but I know exactly what I want it to look like.
Does anyone know where I can go to get some sketches drawn to convey to the tatoo artist what it is that I want done...

or perhaps if there are any artistic people here that want to give it a try, just let me know and I'll tell you what it is I want. :)

How about talking with the tattoo artist?

I recommend finding an artist whose work you like. Not necessarily a tattoo artist, but definitely someone who understands tattoos. You'll probably have to meet several times to go over the direction things are headed. Be prepared to give very specific feedback, such as "it's too detailed at the top" or "thicker lines on the outline".

Once you have your design, find a tattoo artist who can ink it properly. Pay attention to their style and make sure it matches with your art.

Good luck!

Spicy seems to know the answer, but Karoug still gets points. He's just so cute.

Once you have your design, find a tattoo artist who can ink it properly. Pay attention to their style and make sure it matches with your art.

Good luck!

I can't agree with this more. Make sure you see some of the tattoo artist's work, and make sure they can properly do your design. If you have any doubt about the artist, it might be best to go elsewhere until you find someone you have complete confidence in.

Again, seeing the artist's previous work is key. That is the best way, once you have your design finalized, to know if they'll be able to do it or not.

Anyway, good luck! I hope it turns out great for you.

^To expand on that a bit, a good way to tell if an artist is right for you is to ask to see some of his worst work. If you can live with his worst, you know you've found a good one.

Also, his worst should be long in the past. If his worst happened last week, find another artist.

Also, his worst should be long in the past. If his worst happened last week, find another artist.

Definitely.

JipJop, do you have any friends/relatives with tattoos? If so, check out their work and see if its anything like what you want and if its any good. The best way to see the artist's work is in the flesh. I got lucky with a situation like that and mine turned out absolutely perfect.

Last edited:
Building on what Spicy said, a reputable tattoo artist will be willing to draw it up and then work with you to get the design exactly right before tattooing it on you. Most artists charge a fee for this, but that fee goes toward the total cost of the tattoo.

The benefit of working with a tattoo artist rather than a regular one is that the tattoo artist will know what does and doesn't translate well to skin, and how to proportion a piece for the body part you want the ink on.

I'l give it a shot, I drew 2 cirkels under a box once as a kid and it almost looked like a car!

Seriously though, what Spicy said, your tattoo artist should be able to help you in getting what you want ,a good artist is able to translate what's in your head into something that will work on the contours of your body.

Mine took 3 tries to get what I wanted, but eventualy it was exactly what was in my head.

A caveat to "getting exactly what you want": be prepared to realize this might not happen. A lot of first- timers have no clue what separates a good tattoo from a bad one, and your idea may not actually work in the real world. A good artist will tell you this and you may have to rethink your design.

For example, when I was getting my last ink a woman came in for an initial consulatation with my artist while we were taking a break. She wanted this huge design full of complicated details that would have just looked like a big mess if she actually got it. He was able to convince her to simplify it to something reasonable.

This is why it's important to find a reputable artist you trust. You have to know they have the knowledge and experience to make sure you get a good tattoo.

cool, thanks for call the info guys. Now I just have to figure out where a good tattoo artist is.