What SSD to get for a HP DV6?

Average Guy

was previously known as "Small Guy" and soon to be
Car(s)
2015 VW Polo 1.2 TSI
Hey!

Well, I got a Hp dv6 with a 5400rpm hard drive for Christmas and now im thinking about buying a SSD for it.
I have looked at some but I really don?t know what to get. So I thought maybe some of you could help me :)
I would prefer 80gb but I can live with 64gb if it makes it a lot more expensive :)

The 80GB Intel is the best of the bunch in that segment at the moment. Don't believe what others say about read/write on OCZ/Corsair/Crucials.

What sould I look for in a SSD?

used-4kb-read-mbs.png

new-4kb-write-mbs.png

used-4kb-write-mbs.png

iometer-ios-database.jpg

iometer-ios-workstation.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-ssd-performance,2518.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the help ;)

+rep to you :)

60Gb OCZ SSD is all you need.

Should be slightly cheaper than the Intel variant.

^ and ^^.

I've got an Agility as well. Intel may be faster, but the performance increase from spinning magnetic disks to the Agility is a couple orders of magnitude greater than the performance increase from the Agility to Intel's SSDs.

In a random shop I just checked (where they sell both), the Agility was just 36? cheaper than the Intel. Hardly any point to go smaller and slower when it's not that much of a saving.

Last edited:
If you need the additional 20GB then yes, there is no point in going cheaper.
If you don't then it is worth considering. My 60G disk is about 35% full, no need for additional 20Gs.

When I was buying (from a trusted retailer's website) I had the choice of the 60GB Agility for ?149.99 or the Intel X25-M 160GB for ?347.11. I actually paid a little less for mine as it was before the VAT increase. I simply couldn't justify getting the Intel.

Well yes, of course the 160GB model is gonna be A LOT more expensive. You can't even compare them.

Well, as those were the only choices available at the time I ordered (along with other components for a new build). I'm sure that even you would have gone for the Agility had you been in my particular situation :p. The SSD alone wouldn't even come close to my storage needs so I just use it for my OS and apps, the rest of my data is split between 2 1TB Samsung F3s.

The reason why I picked the OCZ 30gb is because it's the best bang for the buck SSD. For $100, you can't really find anything that will beat it as an OS drive.

Intel's 80gb might give me an extra 15~25mbps in read speed. But with the money, I can always throw in another OCZ SSD in a raid 0 config and get double the performance, with change to spare.

Here is the reason why I picked the OCZ, and I couldn't be happier with the choice.

Intel 80Gb - $300
Read speed - 250 mb/s
Write speed 70 mb/s

OCZ 30gb - $100 each
Read speed - 230 mb/s
Write speed - 80 mb/s

^ Did you see my graphs? On random read/write the Intel eats OCZ drives for breakfast.

Also, it's a bit difficult to run raid0 in a laptop. ;) And 30GB isn't much if you want to store any other data on there.

Small Guy said that he would like something with as-close-to-80GB-as-possible.

Last edited:
I recommended the 60gb/120gb version, not the 30gb. I mentioned the 30gb because that's what I got for my OS drive, and 30gb is plenty for OS + essential programmes (for me).

In small guy's case, best ssd in his case would be a MLC 60/120gb ssd from OCZ.

If you are after performance, get the OCZ Colossus Series. It will put the Intel variant to shame, you will never look twice on any other SSD products.

If its $ v.s performance you are after, the vertex/agility series is your best option. Normally if its around $30~$50 difference, I'd say fuck saving money and get the Intel SSD. But we are talking about $100 difference here, which is why I say OCZ is your best option.

Last edited:
If you are after performance, get the OCZ Colossus Series. It will put the Intel variant to shame, you will never look twice on any other SSD products.

While I fully agree, in this thread's case there would be the minor issue of fitting it into the laptop though :cry: