How much of your driving time is spent on the track/autox?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Simple poll for drivers here, how much of your total driving time in your car is spent on the track/closed circuit/auto x/rally course/rally x or anything meant for performance driving but not on public road shared by non-competitive drivers (i.e. regular people driving for transporation or work purposes, not performance or racing)

If you work in a profession involving car tuning/car testing/racing please mention that as well.

Well, let's see, a typical autocross run is 40-60 seconds, and you get 4 per day. So 2-4 minutes. If you do that every weekend (unlikely) then you are about 10-15 minutes per month. Compare that to the daily commute AND errand running/just driving and I'd say even at the top, you might see 5% of your driving time being track time. But mostly less than that.

As merc63 mentioned, the amount of time is not that high. I try to get to two a month, at 6 runs a piece and about 60s a run (yeah bigger Texas sites) that is only 12min or so a month. Though in a single track day weekend you may get a few hours so it all depends really. But as everyone knows it takes exponentially increasing amounts of cash to move up the speed pyramid and extend your amount of track time.

Last edited:
I have around 125-150 miles autocrossing under my belt. In that same time, my cars have racked up 213,000 miles between them. So somewhere around 0.05% of my driving.

I do about 40k kms a year, but I've only done 6 laps of the Nordschleife, which constitutes all my track racing experience. :(

I was probably on the high end of club racing participation; I raced 15 weekends last year; a mix of "single" race weekends (usually a two day event, with just practice, qualifying, and a race) and "double" race weekends (typically over 3 days, and consisting of practice, qualify #1, race #1, qualify #2, race #2). And then throw in a test day before many of those weekends, as well as a few standalone test days... in short, I probably got to a racetrack close to 60 days last year.

But that's very much at the high end of club racing participation and I doubt 2010 will give me as much time.

Steve

Well, let's see, a typical autocross run is 40-60 seconds, and you get 4 per day. So 2-4 minutes. If you do that every weekend (unlikely) then you are about 10-15 minutes per month. Compare that to the daily commute AND errand running/just driving and I'd say even at the top, you might see 5% of your driving time being track time. But mostly less than that.

What if you commute on public transport? See you don't know everything :p

No track experience. Although I have been a passenger a few times. And I've driven offroad a bit.

I also took an advanced driving course that took place on an airfield... does this count? :p

Not enough.

I started trying to figure that out myself this year, and I?m estimating a total of around 1400 kms at the Ring, Spa, and Anneau du Rhin in 2009. But even just considering I didn?t do it all at once and I had to drive almost that much each individual time I drove to and from these places, it?s really not much compared to the grand total... it?s been a slow year though...

Last edited:
None. The hell if I am going to race a car that i am still paying on around a racetrack. If and when I get the money, and America has not gone batshit crazy and ostracized the Otto Four Cycle, I will probably buy the obligatory MX-5.

I made every autocross event in my club last year, and I'll bet dollars to dimes that I haven't burned through an entire tank of fuel autocrossing yet.

Last year i did 41 laps around Mantorp Park in a shitty VW Jetta. That was about it.

None.

None. Yet. I'm about to have a stable income and a sudden stack of free time resulting from no homework - and I have a pretty quick little car burning a hole in my pocket. Not sure where exactly I'm headed, but the conclusion is inevitable.

Professionally speaking, I get to knock around an empty industrial park to do test runs for certain insturments occasionally - but that's not terribly meaningful, just trying to get some numbers to move on a screen.

Last edited: