Busted for speeding: What's your best excuse?

"no excuse, you got me, how much will the fine be?"

is my line most of the time...

(don't say how much do you want, or they think you want to give them a bribe)

speeding is a game, most of the time you win, but sometimes they win, and you have to pay...no need for excuses...

Well, sure I was going 55. What's the limit? 35?? Its called "Northwest HIGHWAY" so I just figured that was the limit!

(Only Spectre and maybe one or two others will know where I am talking about.)

(And yes, it worked.)

"I'm late to the donut convention!"

"That'll do pig. That'll do."

"no excuse, you got me, how much will the fine be?"

is my line most of the time...

I never got cought... at least not by an officer, just one time by a camera :p

Anyway, from what I've heard from friends, your answer seems to be the best. The police were never fooled by excuses. But saying... "sorry.. I don't have an excuse... i just drove too fast" just got them a warning :D

(don't say how much do you want, or they think you want to give them a bribe)

In some countries that still works :p

speeding is a game, most of the time you win, but sometimes they win, and you have to pay...no need for excuses...

You're right... thats how I see it... or when i express it with maths:

At todays date I've paid 0,015? speeding fine per day. Thats a joke compared to the other running costs of my car etc...

Last edited:
My speedo only shows km/h. I have no mile indicators at all... unless I switch the driver display. But the officer doesn't need to know that. So I quickly switch it back to km/h and say, uhhh, I was approximating, did I get it wrong or something?

A pretty good line from a Finnish movie:
"Voiiii vittu! T?ss? on mailimittari!" in English: "Ooohh fuck! This speedo reads in miles!"

Actually my brother made that mistake the first time he drove a Viper. He said something like "This is so cool! Even at sixty it feels like you're going so fast!" after a moment he said "oh, this speedo reads in miles". Fortunately there were no cops.

While driving on Hwy 75 speed limit 60
"Last sign I saw said 75"

"I was going 150 yes....., the sign?, sure I saw a 50 sign, hell I saw 3 of em! ....that makes 150 right?"

actual used .....not realy exuses more comments :

"what? another one?"
"just how many have you had sir?"
"6"
"in your driving years?"
"this year"
"Sir its April"
"yeah......."

"where you aware that you where going 140 in a 120 sir?"
"yeah"
"may I ask why?"
"There was a guy in a Golf cutting infront off me in the third lane so I had to back off....."

"why don't you get a real job?"

that last one was rather expensive .......

How much is the fine for 140 in a 120? Here it's... 30? (but 141 is 70? ;) )

Last edited:
In the US, you have signs like these to indicate that there is a slower speed limit ahead.

R2-5c.jpg

Of course you could interpret it as:
"But officer, I clearly saw a sign that stated that I could speed in this area".

So if *I* was going 90 that means *YOU* were going 90 so*YOU* should get a ticket too! (waiting to do that when I get caught out of state since points don't transfer)

So if *I* was going 90 that means *YOU* were going 90 so*YOU* should get a ticket too! (waiting to do that when I get caught out of state since points don't transfer)

Are you sure about points not transferring? If so, that's great; I got done for speeding in NY last weekend and really don't want to go and fight it.

In my experience, telling the cop that you know you broke the law doesn't get you anywhere, but a really good excuse that makes him laugh or shows a superior knowledge of the law usually will.

My former roommate got pulled over for driving in the carpool lane in California by herself. In parts of California the HOV lane is only HOV during rush hour, the rest of the time it can be used by anyone.
"Ma'am, do you know why I pulled you over today?"
"Yeah, I'm in the HOV lane. I'm sorry, I forgot to change my clock for daylight savings time."
"Ma'am, the reason I pulled you over is because you are in the HOV lane at peak hours."
"I know, I'm sorry. I forgot about the new time change."
"Ma'am, you are aware that the HOV lane is for three or more occupants."
"Yes, I know. I forgot about the time change." (At this point she was getting pretty exasperated at the trooper).
"Ma'am, you are aware that you are only one person and not permitted to use the HOV lane?"
"Well, officer, you aren't counting the two bodies in the trunk."
"Ma'am, step out of the vehicle!"
She got out and let the cop look in the trunk. He finally showed some signs of humanity and said that he had never had anyone actually use that one before. She got off with no ticket.

The only ticket I ever got out of was here in Salt Lake when I got pulled over for "Almost running a red light."
I said, "I'm not sure that 'almost' breaking the law is a citable offense, sir. The last time I read the traffic code it identified running a red light as entering the intersection on a red. You said my rear wheels were still in the intersection when the light changed to red, so I couldn't have been entering the intersection at the same time I was leaving the intersection. Has the traffic code changed recently?"
"Well...um... in my book the tie goes to the runner."
"Am I free to go, officer?"
He just starts walking back to his car at this point, waving his hand over his shoulder and mutters, "yeah."
"Thank you, Officer. Drive safe!" *Roll up window* "Jackass."

*humhum*

"I'm sorry officer, but you're driving an Civil BMW VideoPatrol Car, and I thought, you wanted to race me"

"I'm sorry officer, but I didnt saw the first 100-max-speed sign, because I was distracted by a lorry, that had silly writings on it"

"I'm sorry officer, but my Child is going to die, If I dont deliver it the special medicine"

"I'm sorry officer, I had a cramp in my right foot"

"I'm sorry officer, the Floormat was stuck between the brake- and the accelerator pedal"

"I'm sorry officer, but my butt is going to explode, and those Autobahn-Toilets are so dirty, I dont want to get Syphilis"

"I'm sorry officer, my speedo is broken"

"I'm sorry officer, I was listening to aggressiv music, that makes me usually go faster"

and finally

"I'm sorry miss officer, maybe we can sort that out at dinner tonight? :) "

Last edited:
The best one I've seen is from a billboard with some road safety propaganda on it just north of Adelaide.

The billboard featured a police officer pointing a laser gun and it had the tagline "Speeding: What's Your Excuse?". Underneath this tagline, someone had graffitied 'need a crap'. :lol:

There were pictures of this on the internet a few years back.