Breaking news! Saab is NOT dead (yet) and the new 9-5 gets the green light.

So Saab is operating and being sold, while also shutting down and having all offers refused, even now.

Saab is becoming some sort of quantum physics thought experiment.

So Saab is operating and being sold, while also shutting down and having all offers refused, even now.

Saab is becoming some sort of quantum physics thought experiment.

Which probably explains why thousands have been taking to the streets, with thousands more due to take to the streets this weekend, to protest against GM's handling of SAAB.

I'd love to know if there's some kind of correlation between SAAB ownership and mental illness ... :lol:

Saabs United reports that SAAB personnel in several countries have been booked in for a conference call with Sweden on Tuesday, January 26.

http://img199.imageshack.**/img199/1470/18336250452258105516218.jpg

Edit: Comments say that SAAB management have called it at 13:00

Last edited:
Even if the conference call reports that the SAAB sale to Spyker is definitely on, I won't believe it until Victor Muller drives the very first 9-5 produced under Spyker ownership off the assembly line.

There is reportedly a Spyker car in the SAAB museum in Trollhattan, and various news agencies are reporting that a deal is 'done' despite no official announcement being made.

Some odd stuff is going on with Spyker stock, too. Massively increased price and volume. Someone either knows something, or thinks they know something. (Okay, so that last sentence wasn't exactly helpful :lol: )

http://img709.imageshack.**/img709/588/spykerb.jpg

According to swedish media, Spyker might be buying Saab after all!

Sveriges Television (SVT) reported early Monday afternoon that the deal was finally done following approval of a key ?400 million loan from the European Investment Bank (EIB).

According to SVT, the Swedish government has scheduled an extra cabinet meeting for 2.30pm to decide on whether or not to provide a state guarantee for the loan.

Saab owner General Motors (GM) is expected to confirm to the deal later in the day on Monday, SVT reports.

In addition, Spyker Cars CEO Victor Muller is set to hold a press conference in Stockholm with news of the deal.

?Yes, the government will hold an extra meeting this afternoon about a number of issues, but the question of loan guarantees will also probably come up,? enterprise ministry deputy director Hans G. Pettersson told the TT news agency.

Sweden?s National Debt Office (Riksg?lden) recently finished a report which will serve as the basis for the government?s position on whether or not to provide state guarantees for the EIB loan.

Pettersson added that he can?t confirm that the deal between GM and Spyker is finished.

?Even if things look good now, it has happened before that someone falls at the goal line. It?s not finished until both parties go out with it,? he said.

Throughout the Saab sale process, the Swedish government has had constant contact with the European Commission, which must approve any state loan guarantees.

?We still haven?t receive a definite answer from the Commission,? said Pettersson.

More to follow.

Would be great of this deal goes through!! :D

Last edited:
So in case this goes through, what cars will they actually be making? The patents and tooling for the 9-3 and the old 9-5 have been sold to the Chinese months ago and GM apparently doesn't want to let anyone touch the Insignia platform on which the new 9-5 is based.

So in case this goes through, what cars will they actually be making?

NG 9-5, 9-3 and 9-4X. I'll believe it when I see Whitacre hand the keys and the deeds to the property to Muller. Remember that the Koenigsegg deal was also "done".

http://www.thelocal.se/24574/20100125/

Sorry if that's a repost! Viva SAAB!

Zeewolde, the Netherlands, 25 January 2010 - Spyker Cars N.V., manufacturer of exclusive premium sports cars, has noted recent press speculation about the SAAB negotiations. Spyker confirms that talks are ongoing, the outcome of which is still uncertain. As SAAB is currently in liquidation talks must end soon.

http://www.saabsunited.com/2010/01/press-release-from-spyker.html

The deal is not yet finished.

GM confirmed: No deal...

Remember that the Koenigsegg deal was also "done".

^ THIS

Considering just how unpleasant GM appear to be in relation to this (and other) recent dealings, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone involved is just getting jerked around again.<_<

That said, if SAAB does survive, the new owners should seriously consider making a big hatchback again. SAAB have had at least one oversized hatchback in their range since the 1970s right up until the early 2000s. I realise that the SportCombi is now in the SAAB lineup and no doubt it is as good as it can be considering it was developed whilst under GM ownership, but if SAAB gets new owners, the first thing they can do to attract traditional SAAB owners back would be to develop a proper 9-3 hatchback.

My $0.02

More news from Saab. They're (slowly) continuing building new cars, including the not yet official 9-4X.

The question of whether General Motors will go ahead and sell Saab to Spyker seems no closer to getting a real-life answer today after newly self-appointed GM CEO Ed Whitacre held a press conference without naming a new owner for the troubled Swedish automaker. Perhaps then, reports of Saab's production numbers offer a renewed glimmer of hope for Saabophiles the world over?

According to Automotive News and its DealerTrack report for the week of January 23rd, in addition to a small number of 2010 9-5 sedans, Saab produced 49 new 9-4X crossovers last week, bringing the total number of completed units to 147. Wait a second, when did GM ever officially announce the start of 9-4X CUVs?

Answer: It didn't. As such, we're guessing that these are preproduction models and pilots destined for crash testing and whatnot (according to GM Inside News, that status has been confirmed), but it still may portend interesting things to come from the Saab brand moving forward.

http://i.autoblog.com/2010/01/25/saab-9-5-and-9-4x-in-low-volume-production/

holygrail.jpg

I wouldn't bother reporting anything until either SAAB has laid everyone off or the company is actual in the possession of another.

^ THIS

Considering just how unpleasant GM appear to be in relation to this (and other) recent dealings, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone involved is just getting jerked around again.<_<

That said, if SAAB does survive, the new owners should seriously consider making a big hatchback again. SAAB have had at least one oversized hatchback in their range since the 1970s right up until the early 2000s. I realise that the SportCombi is now in the SAAB lineup and no doubt it is as good as it can be considering it was developed whilst under GM ownership, but if SAAB gets new owners, the first thing they can do to attract traditional SAAB owners back would be to develop a proper 9-3 hatchback.

My $0.02

We had many long term SAAB customers who left to buy something else just because you couldn't get a hatchback anymore.

Some bought A3s some bought Golfs or other hatchback like cars but none of them were really happy with those cars because they were too small.

This is one medium sized SAAB dealership and I can think of a dozen plus people who left because they couldn't get a hatchback. Think about how many lost customers that is over the entire brand.