General Toyota lawsuit/recall/problem thread

Here's something I find curious, I haven't seen GM recalling the Vibe, which is the same thing (except built in a UAW facility).

Ah well, at least by the time I need my next vehicle the Focus will be good again and there will be a Hyundai dealer in my town.

I see quite a few of them around here. The AWD model is pretty popular here in Utah, especially among skiiers who can't afford a Subaru or an SUV.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/25/...autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Toyota is in the beginning stages of a new voluntary recall that affects 2.3 million vehicles. The recall involves accelerator pedal mechanisms that could stick due to wear and cause unintended acceleration, though it is technically not related to an earlier, larger recall to fix floor mats on certain Toyota and Lexus models that could also cause accelerator pedals to stick.

The folks over at Kicking Tires spoke with National Manager of Environmental Safety and Quality for Toyota, John Hanson, who revealed that vehicles affected by the recall are still sitting on dealer lots for customers to purchase in spite of their potentially defective accelerator pedal mechanisms. Hanson said the reason that Toyota is letting dealers still sell the vehicles even though they may have to come back in for repair is because the problem tends to appear after extended wear. However, since Toyota doesn't yet have a fix figured out, dealers can reportedly only replace the defective pedal mechanisms with new mechanisms of the same type for now. Hanson is also reportedly unsure about whether or not the vehicles affected by the recall are still being manufactured, but said he thought the lines involved were down.

While it is within the law for Toyota to keep affected vehicles on the lot given the fact that the recall is voluntary, we hope its dealers have enough scruples to inform potential customers about the issue before these vehicles are purchased.
:rolleyes:

Also: For those of you wondering about the Vibe:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/25/...autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=Google+Reader

It is easy to forget that among the debris swirling in the tornado of claims against Toyota, the Pontiac Vibe is really a Toyota Matrix. Hence, the Vibe is also included in Toyota's recent recall of 2.3 million vehicles to repair accelerator pedal mechanisms that could stick and cause unintended acceleration.

The Vibe was built at the NUMMI plant in a California. The joint venture between Toyota and General Motors became a victim of last year's industry turmoil. GM pulled out of the partnership last June, and Toyota is reportedly ending production there in March.

GM doesn't yet know how many 2009 and 2010 model Vibes are included in the recall. When it receives details on numbers and the fix from Toyota, customers will be notified and they can get their hatches repaired at Buick-GMC dealerships.

Last edited:
Sorry, I read AutoBlog on my GoogleReader RSS service so it displays a bit differently.

I just read on SPIEGEL Online, that Toyota now also recalls 2 million cars in Europe.

So much for it only being limited to the US. I wonder when it will hit Asia and Australia.

This isn't going to be ending well for Toyota.

Courtesy of ABC/USA Today:

Toyota Knew of Sticky-Throttle Problem Late Last Year
2.3 Million Cars Recalled, Remedy May Be Weeks Away
By James R. Healey, USA TODAY
January 25, 2010

Toyota says it knew there were problems with accelerator-pedal assemblies from supplier CTS late last year, but not enough to warrant a recall.

The automaker says it hurriedly announced last Thursday a planned recall of 2.3 million Toyotas, back to 2005 models, because the defect trend had picked up. "The quickness that this all came together is one reason why I don't have numbers" of complaints, the automaker's U.S. safety spokesman, John Hanson, says. "And why we don't have a fix."

The recall includes an unspecified number of 2009-10 Pontiac Vibes, designed and built by Toyota for General Motors' now- discontinued Pontiac brand. Vibe is similar to the Toyota Matrix that's part of the recall.

Toyota did not identify Vibe in its announcement of the recall. GM made no announcement, but confirmed Vibe is included.

GM spokesman Alan Adler says: "We do not typically do pre-recall announcements. We tend to wait until there is something that can be done," before notifying owners.

Hanson has said it could be weeks before Toyota determines a remedy and gets it approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Toyota says it has no direct reports of injuries or deaths. But the day Toyota announced the recall, ABC News broadcast a report, prepared before the recall announcement, linking the problem to four deaths (http://abcnews.go.com/blotter).

The car company says that the latest sticking-throttle recall is separate from one it announced in November. That one involved 4.3 million Toyota and Lexus models. Their gas pedals might get caught under floor mats and send the cars out of control.

That problem is linked to the death of off-duty California Highway Patrolman Mark Saylor and three family members Aug. 28.

"I think it's questionable" whether the two recalls are separate, says Jesse Toprak, vice president of industry trends for TrueCar.com, an auto-pricing and industry-tracking site.

Identifying the Problems

Toyota says 1.7 million vehicles are affected by both recalls. Toprak notes that Toyota first identified the previous recall as a floor mat issue, then said the accelerator pedals themselves were partly at fault. Now, most vehicles in the sticking-throttle recall announced Thursday also are involved in the November recall.

"Their biggest error was not to do a deep dive into the issue last year," Toprak says.

Toyota says the potentially faulty pedals came from a CTS facility in Streetsville, Ontario. CTS has not returned calls asking for comment.

Toyota says drivers whose throttles stick open should shift into neutral, pull off the road and call a dealer. Dealers have been told to help on a "case-by-case basis," until Toyota can fix the problem.

Adler says GM dealers would do so, too. He says that no Vibe owners have reported the problem. Adler says the recall repairs will be made by GM's Buick and GMC dealers.

Toyota won't say how much leeway dealers have ? whether, for example, they can install new pedal assemblies, or provide long-term loaner cars until there is a recall remedy.

Toyota says the problem appears to be due to premature wear of some mechanical parts in the CTS throttle assemblies. Hanson says that means new vehicles should be risk-free, at least long enough for Toyota to come up with a fix.

Throttle-pedal assemblies from Toyota's other supplier, Denso, are not all interchangeable, eliminating that as a quick-fix solution, Toyota says.

CTS also supplies throttle assemblies to Honda, Nissan and Mitsubishi. Those companies say their designs are different and pose no risk of sticking open.

Hanson says the first symptom of the latest throttle problem is when the gas pedal feels rough, instead of smooth, when the driver presses down. The next stage: The throttle pedal doesn't return promptly when the driver lets off. Finally, the throttle sticks open even after the driver's foot is removed.

Next Step for Drivers

Hanson says drivers should contact dealers if they experience the first step and not wait for the gas pedal to begin working sluggishly. "We don't want that vehicle on the road, and we want to keep that owner mobile. We'll do whatever we can on a case-by-case basis," Hanson says.

Toyota continues selling models involved in the recall, expecting that they work fine because they are new and the throttles don't seem to begin sticking until the vehicle ages, Hanson says.

There are also several interesting videos and sidebars at the link.

Can anyone else sense the circling lawyers?

Last edited:
Toyota's Firestone has arrived. This will hurt them. Their recall found has already been depleted.

So... why didn't they use Denso throttles to begin with?

Well, as the article indicates, others used parts from the same vendor with no problem. My guess is that Toyota got cheap on the design in the name of cost cutting. As Ford pointed out with the cheapening of Jaguar (X350), Denso electronics are anything but cheap these days.

But then, as Ford (and now Toyota) also discovered, there's a price to pay for getting too cheap, too.

Last edited:
The costs of being number one.

Denso has US operations too, so the 'local' idea doesn't really fly either.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/26/...autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Toyota has announced that it will halt sales of eight models due to its ongoing problems with unintended acceleration. At issue are accelerator pedal mechanisms that could get stuck in the open position due to wear, causing the vehicle to accelerate uncontrollably. Earlier this month, Toyota announced a recall of 2.3 million vehicles with the possible defect.

Late last year, the Japanese automaker recalled nearly four million vehicles for floor mats that could trap accelerator pedals, also causing unintended acceleration. The two issues are apparently unrelated, though 1.7 million vehicles are affected by both issues.

The following eight models are included in the sales suspension:

• 2009-2010 RAV4,
  • 2009-2010 Corolla,
  • 2009-2010 Matrix,
  • 2005-2010 Avalon,
  • Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
  • 2010 Highlander,
  • 2007-2010 Tundra,
  • 2008-2010 Sequoia
No Lexus or Scion sales have been halted, and due to the sales suspension of the above eight models, a number of manufacturing plants will be shut down for at least the week of February 1st. Click past the break for all the details on the recall and the plants being shuttered in North America.
Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., January 26, 2010 - - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.

"Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company," said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. "This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We're making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible."

Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Toyota's accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia

No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale.

Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing vehicles on the following production lines for the week of February 1 to assess and coordinate activities. The North America vehicle production facilities affected are:

? Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4)
? Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander)
? Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky ? Line 1 (Camry and Avalon)
? Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry)
? Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra)

No other North American Toyota vehicle production facilities are affected by the decision to stop production.

The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

/\ I just read this on another forum...I don't know what to say.

I'm scared for toyota.

I'm sorry but I find this whole thing hilarious.

Every safety related recall I have ever been involved in meant a halt in the sales of the effected vehicles. We got a list of VINs that were quarantined and were not allowed to sell or even test drive them.

I don't ever remember them shutting factories down though.

Every safety related recall I have ever been involved in meant a halt in the sales of the effected vehicles. We got a list of VINs that were quarantined and were not allowed to sell or even test drive them.

I don't ever remember them shutting factories down though.

That's the problem, Toyota continued to sell vehicles it knew were affected by the recall AND they tried to whitewash the problems with the car's systems by blaming floor mats (i.e.: User Error).