Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Smaller, lighter, bigger and brighter VF and lenses second only to Leica and cheaper than period Nikons, which are, btw, as heavy as a couple of gold plated bricks.

:)

Buy a light meter and an Ebay rayflash knockoff, haha.

Smaller, lighter, bigger and brighter VF and lenses second only to Leica and cheaper than period Nikons, which are, btw, as heavy as a couple of gold plated bricks.

:)

Yeah....too bad I will have to buy from eBay. What about the Canon AE1?

Great camera. When the battery in my OM-2 went flat back in the day, I loaned one from the school. Neat little camera, have some great studio shots I took with it. Which isn't saying much, when you take into consideration that the only thing that's important when using a film camera in a studio is that it does not have big holes, in other words, that it's light sealed.

If you've found one in good nick that's reasonable, I'd go for it. Nothing wrong with the AE-1.

Great camera. When the battery in my OM-2 went flat back in the day, I loaned one from the school. Neat little camera, have some great studio shots I took with it. Which isn't saying much, when you take into consideration that the only thing that's important when using a film camera in a studio is that it does not have big holes, in other words, that it's light sealed.

If you've found one in good nick that's reasonable, I'd go for it. Nothing wrong with the AE-1.

That is great news, because the AE-1 is kinda common, and I found locally 3 very good candidates with 50mm f/1.4 lenses that would cost me half as much as buying an Olympus OM-2 on eBay.
Thanks for all the info.:D

Go for it. :)

I borrowed my old man's AE-1... for about 10 years. It's a great work horse and easy to use. Only maintenance it's needed has been the light seals (but that will be the same for any camera). One thing that got me was that the batteries last an eternity so when they finally died it caused me some grief - the shutter would work only sometimes so I thought there was a problem and didn't think to replace the batteries for some time.

I would recommend using the 50mm (or even something a bit wider) over the cheap POS Tamron zoom I used.

Thanks, guys!

Ze photoshoppen, ja?

What I would do is first go into Bridge, sort by dimensions, seperate the portrait and landscape oriented pictures into two different folders. Actually, first I would make copies of the images I'm altering, keep the originals in their original place. You'll need to make two action, one for the portraits, one for the landscapes.

landscape action:
(you need to have something open, even if it's a blank canvas, doesn't matter)
(start a new action)
IF images are in 3:2 ratio to begin with: canvas size > change to percent > set width to 93.33333333333333
IF images are in 4:3 to begin with: canvas size > change to percent > set height to 95.238095
(stop recording action, you're done)

portrait action:
same as above but for 3:2 apply the change to height, for 4:3 apply the change to width

Now, file > automate > batch. Select the appropriate action and folder. Assuming you're not working with the originals at this point just select "save and close" in the destination. Run it, when it's done do the other orientation, then you're done.

I told you exactly what to do, it'll take you a couple minutes to set up. How is this not easy? Bridge doesn't do anything and I don't have lightroom.

I feel like I only use this thread for getting suggestions on things to buy (which I do, I suppose). Anyway, I'm annoyed at buying cartridges for my printer (especially because my mother prints off a lot of crap like receipts for everything she buys and emails and at the first sign of a missing spot of ink she wants me to buy new cartridges for it)- it's a Canon Pixma MP500, and I want a continuous ink system. Quick searching finds a few different setups for the same cost a set of new carts for it costs, but I figure people here may have experience with these systems and may have recommendations on brands to go with or avoid. Any suggestions?