The "Things that annoy me" thread

Ah, but you're forgetting that speedometers in cars are not calibrated!

So it could say 80 kph but you're doing only 74 in reality. That's why you always have a margin by law, when you get caught for speeding. That's why I always do between 5 and 10 kph more than allowed :)

You also have think about truck drivers going crazy being stuck behind folks who -- according to their speedo -- do 80 kph. Because trucks have calibrated speedos and know that those in front of them are too slow.

80 on speedo is 77 in reality (says the onboard diagnostic mode) but sure trucks are better calibrated. I usually do 85 but if I end up behind a person who does 80 and it's a one lane road I'm not going to overtake that person in a hurry. As long as people do not intentionally get in the way or drive silly slow I'm fine with them sticking to the limit.

People who let their children walk around in the car (or let them stand between the front seats), whilst driving.
How irresponsible can one possibly be?
Those people should not be allowed to either drive a car or reproduce.

Am I bad person for wishing them to crash, and reap what they sow?

Last edited:
I do not wish them to crash since that would injure the kid but I do wish for a police officer to drive by, pull the driver over and strip them of their license on the spot.

In other news, my boot is no longer frozen shut after I valiantly used my trusty kup?v?rmare to unfreeze the microswitch. This put together with the "the door locks on my Golf V won't open because it's cold outside" incident that occured only weeks ago is proof enough that I can now say with 100% certainty that Germans can't weatherproof for shit. Seriously, you suck at it. Learn what winter is.

I'm actually glad that in my childhood, child protection seats were unheard of. On the other hand, we never did have an accident. :D

Yeeeeah...it's not the kid's fault that their parents are stupid. That bothers me, too.

Speaking of car boot's, a small piece of plastic made it, somehow, into the boot release mechanism of my car, and blocked it. Unfortunately, it wasn't open, nor properly closed, so I couldn't take it off the car nor closing the car and wait. Finally, I made my way through the boot internal lining (which destroyed the plastic cover) and the release mechanism (which got destroyed in the process). Finally, I could spend a whole 45 ? for new (second hand) release mechanism and boot lid plastic lining. All for an annoying little piece of plastic come out of who-knows-where.

Great!

Speaking of thngs that annoy me constantly, the new way of building roads: they are so tight and narrow and bendy and full of blocks of concrete that there is literally not one legal way of overtaking anyone for kms.

[rant mode]

The record, up to now, is 12. Yes, 12 km (7 miles, more or less) without a single point where overtaking is legal. This means if you get behind an idiot who thinks 30 kph (yes, 20 mph) is Schumacher fast and dangerous, you either get stuck behind him forever or overtake him illegally (only where concrete blocks don't get in the way making overtaking simply impossible).

Too bad pollution and traffic jams rise when speed is too low.

Nice job, you stupid municipal government.

[/rant mode]

Last edited:
People burning trash in their back yard, just as my neighbour is doing, it's wafting in through the window and choking me. I wanted to open the window as it was a really nice day and I wanted get some fresh air. :(

People burning trash in their back yard, just as my neighbour is doing, it's wafting in through the window and choking me. I wanted to open the window as it was a really nice day and I wanted get some fresh air. :(

I used to live in a area where trash burn was prevalent. I HATED the smell of it. I feel your pain.

Epicly long classes that are long for no reason. That's what irritates me.:mad:

Don't you have laws against that sort of thing? ;)

Don't you have laws against that sort of thing? ;)

Dunno who your reply was to lol, but at least in PA, its at the municipal (township) level it seems. :)

Things that have broken in our household in the last four weeks, in chronological order:

My netbook
The printer
My desktop
The husband's desktop
The husband's netbook (still working, but hard drive is making a scary whirring sound)
Our fancy-pants universal remote (just fixed)

Tonight our power went out. 10 minutes after it came back, our cable and internet went out. Thankfully, I was at work for the duration of the outage. But still.

Also, I have a bug bite on my boob. In the middle of January. How and where did that happen, please?

80 on speedo is 77 in reality (says the onboard diagnostic mode) but sure trucks are better calibrated. I usually do 85 but if I end up behind a person who does 80 and it's a one lane road I'm not going to overtake that person in a hurry. As long as people do not intentionally get in the way or drive silly slow I'm fine with them sticking to the limit.

You should get a taste of our tourists here :D

Basically you can deduct 20 kph from every speed limit we have here and you'll have the average speed of a bloody tourist. If there's something that can turn you into a road rage monster, than when you have to be somewhere at a certain time and get stuck behind a queue of tourists who do 60, when 80 is allowed.

The funny thing, though, is that when you go to where they live (the biggest part of our tourists here come from the Ruhr Area and the Rhineland), you'll soon find out that at home they drive with a knife between their teeth and fight for every meter of road with each other.

That's the difference to the East Germans: Those always drive like maniacs, no matter where they are. At least that is predictable and you can switch your internal alarm system on, when you see a number plate from former East Germany.
If you want to be scared shitless, try an East German highway, like for example the B105 from Rostock to Stralsund. Even an Italian would get scared to death there. My stepfather has some subsidiaries of his firm in East Germany and was chauffeured around by one of the local managers in his Audi A6 -- at 180 kph on a country road.

My netbook
The printer
My desktop
The husband's desktop
The husband's netbook (still working, but hard drive is making a scary whirring sound)

Tonight our power went out. 10 minutes after it came back, our cable and internet went out. Thankfully, I was at work for the duration of the outage. But still.

Also, I have a bug bite on my boob. In the middle of January. How and where did that happen, please?

The answer lies here.

Last edited:
Things that have broken in our household in the last four weeks, in chronological order:

My netbook
The printer
My desktop
The husband's desktop

Gremlins.

Last edited:
Gremlins I'll accept. Bedbugs I will not. I was rummaging around in an outdoor storage shed yesterday; I choose to blame that.

Cyclists who ride around at night with no lights or hiviz clothing.

Tailgaters.

Drivers using their mobile phones, without a hands free kit.

MS Word 2007. Why, o why, must you assume that I want my lines double-spaced? Stupid POS software.

^ Nah. I switched back to my brand new/recently repaired desktop, which has a nice, normal Windows 2003 on it. :)