The iPad

OK, now use VNC on the iPad.... Oh, wait! You can't, because it runs a fail OS. A Win7-based tablet will be far more useful than the half-baked app-restricted one found in the iPad.

Oh come on man, before criticizing do please do some research... you have plenty of VNC, SSH, etc. on iPhone OS and therefore on the iPad...

It may not be what everyone was expecting but it still looks like a fairly good product, only thing you have to bear in mind is that it's not a product aimed at geeks like most of the guys on this forum, even though it can run a lot of "professional" programs. It's aimed mainly at non-computer friendly persons and on that front it will be great.

My only real gripe with it is the lack of multitasking, I still kind of miss it on my iPhone after spending a good year on my E61 which was slow but allowed multitasking.

With a 1024 x 768 screen it could do with a window manager too (not that it would be useful without multitasking).

Oh come on man, before criticizing do please do some research... you have plenty of VNC, SSH, etc. on iPhone OS and therefore on the iPad...

As of this moment there are no iPad-native VNC clients available. I guess you could theoretically run an iPhone one with pixel-doubling enabled, but why? That's also assuming that the iPhone VNC app will automatically work with the iPad hardware, which it may very well do but we've seen no examples yet.

Last edited:
Yeah at this moment of course, but at this moment you can't even buy an iPad too!

And since they are basically running the same OS and to some extent the same hardware (ARM processors), I think most, if not every, iPhone applications will run on the tablet :)

It's wait & see for now as nobody here touched one anyway!

Last edited:
I don't hate Apple for the sake of hating Apple. Apple is everything anti-freedom, anti-tinkering, anti-consumer, anti-competition, anti-... everything about the technology business that Steve Jobs himself was took advantage of to be in the position he is today.

That's why I hate Apple.

Well said my friend. I'd rep you, but can't cause of that great picture you took :p

Anyway:
20065_272939562734_670502734_3929093_954150_n.jpg

I generally like Apple stuff but this is just something else. It looks crippled from the start so they can release a new, "improved" version in six month's time.

I don't hate Apple for the sake of hating Apple. Apple is everything anti-freedom, anti-tinkering, anti-consumer, anti-competition, anti-... everything about the technology business that Steve Jobs himself was took advantage of to be in the position he is today

I can agree with that! The funny thing is, many of the people I know who like apple, like it because of the way they where oppressed by Microsoft when using a PC and windows. But for me apple doesn't look any different. For instance to connect your ipod or iphone to your pc you need itunes installed. That may be great if you like itunes (and all the crap it comes bundled with), but what about alternatively simply plugging the ipod into your computer and showing it as a disk that you can browse? That's what I like about both my mp3 player and my mobile phone - you don't need any fancy software for it, simply plug it in and there's another removable drive which can be accessed with the windows explorer. Also, if I want a pc, I can build it myself, and if something breaks I can repair/change it myself without having to send the whole thing away for a while because the end-user isn't supposed to open the casing. I guess the last point depends on what you want though. If all you want is a computer / phone / whatever, that - what is it they say? "simply works"? - and costs a bit more than its pc equivalent and you will never ever feel the need to change anything about the hardware then I guess macs are ok for you.

I just hate Hipsters.

That's also a valid reason ;) Also, some of the applications you can get for the iphone are just unbelievably dumb. For instance, me and a couple mates were sitting around, drinking some beer and watching tv. Then, in a mildly drunk state, one of them downloaded an application that displays a beverage of your choice on the display of his iphone, tilts with the phone and deplets over time when tilted, as if you drank it. Apart from the fact that we had REAL drinks available, the one "drinking" from his phone can't even see the screen, so it's purely for showing off by demonstrating how cool their phone is (apart from the fact that it only shows the phone has accelerometers and the ability to do basic math). Then there's another application that replaces your standard dialing mechanism with an old fashioned dial found on telephones from before 1980, with which it takes ages to dial.
The really sad thing is, my friends are fairly intelligent, but since some of them own iphones half their brains seem to have shut down (foremost the bullshit-detection part of the brain) and now they sit around drooling about useless applications and slowly becoming complete apple-fanboys. Just the other day one of them - who isn't very interested in tech news or anything new and revolutionary (besides his iphone) - all of the sudden started to rave on about the new ipad. And that's my biggest worry with people who buy apple - some of them seem to lose their ability to have a critical look at what they just bought (probably because they just sank a lot of money into it).

And that's my biggest worry with people who buy apple - some of them seem to lose their ability to have a critical look at what they just bought (probably because they just sank a lot of money into it).

That is a legit fear, but at least some people have brains. I bought an ipod video when it first came out, so it was the best then as it actually had video (for the price). I will never buy another ipod ever again. The sound quality is considerably worse than my Zune, its uglier than my Zune, and iTunes is annoying as hell.

I don't hate Apple for the sake of hating Apple. Apple is everything anti-freedom, anti-tinkering, anti-consumer, anti-competition, anti-... everything about the technology business that Steve Jobs himself was took advantage of to be in the position he is today.

That's why I hate Apple.
+1

It's also funny noting that whenever Microsoft integrates their own programmes too well and doesn't make Windows "open enough" to third party software, there's an outrage; Blaming Microsoft for monopolism, facism and whatnot... But when Apple does it, it's fine...

+1

It's also funny noting that whenever Microsoft integrates their own programmes too well and doesn't make Windows "open enough" to third party software, there's an outrage; Blaming Microsoft for monopolism, facism and whatnot... But when Apple does it, it's fine...

'cause their products are so good looking :rolleyes:

+1

To be honest, Microsoft still has the monopoly over OS markets, and most of their programs suck so it's good there is outrage.

I'd like to blindly hate Apple, but I'm left with mixed feelings because they are really good at what they do. Marketing that is. Product after product they manage to bring up their loyal customers on their knees and buying whatever they release. Not caring about hardcore users (nerds) is a choice, it's a small segment with not enough potential customers. Well executed basic marketing.

My current 13" MB Pro is my first Apple computer I've ever owned, and I'd say its certainly been a good ownership experience so far. It was also pretty much the only thing which met my requirements, but anyway. Having the option of running OSX or Windows 7 on the same machine has been a real blessing as each has their own advantages and disadvantages, and at the end of the day I can switch from one to the other as my requirements change. I can now undestand why people love Macbook pros so much, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm only buying Macs in the future. There are certain design features I do want to complain about.

I don't quiet get why people constantly argue over OSX, Linux and Windows. Each has its own merits, so pick the one which you think suits you and run with it. I use all 3 on a regular basis (win7 on the desktop, OSX on the MB and Linux on my little eeepc 900 as well as some uni computers), and I love being able to switch between one and the other. I don't necessarily feel that OSX is any more closed off than Win 7 (especially now that Hackintoshing is so easy), and there are lots of good free applications out there for both OSs.

Back on to topic, I think this iPad thing is a good opportunity wasted. It was a good chance for Apple to do something completely revolutionary, but all they've really released is a big iPhone. I guess if they tried to sell it as a Kindle competitor I'd understand, but there is no way this will replace a netbook for me. Its just too crippled to compete.

As for the whole average Apple user image, I couldn't give a flaming fuck. Its my computer, I like using it, end of story. I don't buy a computer to show off (I have a black case on my MB atm which actually covers up the Apple logo when its not lit, which is nice).

Kindle DX 9.7? - $489.00
?
1024x768 color display upgrade - $1.00
Internet browsing upgrade - $1.00
iPod w/16GB upgrade - $1.00
Run iPhone apps upgrade - $1.00
1Gz A4 processor upgrade - $1.00
H.264 720P HD video upgrade - $1.00
Bluetooth upgrade - $1.00
10hr battery upgrade - $1.00
Multi-touch display upgrade - $1.00
Digital compass/accelerometer - $1.00
?
Your cost: iPad $499.00

Kindle DX 9.7? - $489.00
?
?

This has probably been said before, but iPad is not a good ebook reader. The reason is, that its display is too eye-straining compared to displays that are specifically designed for reading ebooks. Thus it can not be compared to Kindle, they are two completely different devices.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

f-ing hilarious :)

Reactions: LP
Kindle DX 9.7? - $489.00
?
?
Where's the $1.00 e-Ink upgrade, which would make the iPad an actual competitive eBook reader?

Oh wait, it doesn't have it. Read a book for an hour on your iPhone display, and then read a book for an hour on a Kindle display, then let me know if that extra $10 was worth replacing your Kindle. That's also assuming the Amazon eBook iPhone app (or any eBook downloader) works with the iPad, which remains to be seen.

Also, that should read "10hr battery downgrade - $1.00", since the Kindle has a much, much longer battery life.

Last edited:
Kindle DX 9.7? - $489.00
?
1024x768 color display upgrade - $1.00 - Kinle DX has a 1200x824 e-ink display. For this argument, it is infinitely better than the iPad's.
Internet browsing upgrade - $1.00 - The kindle does support basic web browsing, but it has to be said that it would be better on the iPad.
iPod w/16GB upgrade - $1.00 - Kindles support mp3 playback and have SD expansion slots. UI probably isn't as good, but it's just meant to be background music while reading.
Run iPhone apps upgrade - $1.00 - iPad gets this one, though IMO there is no iPhone app actually worth making a purchase decision like this over.
1Gz A4 processor upgrade - $1.00 - Makes no difference at all when reading books.
H.264 720P HD video upgrade - $1.00 - Another point for the iPad, though I don't see how it'd be comfortable watching a video of any extended period of time on it.
Bluetooth upgrade - $1.00 - Good only for listening to music, would decrease battery life noticeably.
10hr battery upgrade - $1.00 - Kindle DX has a 168hr battery life.
Multi-touch display upgrade - $1.00 - Nice for web browsing, useless for reading.
Digital compass/accelerometer - $1.00 - Kindle DX has an accelerometer, digital compass is pointless.
3G radio upgrade for iPad - $130
3G access for iPad - $30/mo.
?
Your cost: iPad $499.00$629 + $30/mo

I don't really understand why people hate Apple because they make "shiny products" which they are unable to tinker with (change battery, upgrade stuff). If I translate this into the car world, that equals to hating all major car manufacturs saying that you would buy only a Sangyong because Sangyong is cheaper, more equipped, upgradable (you can tinker with it all you like) and looks aren't important?

/me is confused with all the hate and flaming, that's all.