Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Sploded.

Oh look! My next phone!

samsung-wave-smartphone.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrrpDzUiTn4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

No. Just No.

This was horrifyingly dirty when I started, as in, everything inside was a varying shade of grime.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/02/16/DSC03667.JPG

Still a bit of static showing up occasionally, but short of completely disassembling it and going after all the pots with cleaner I won't fix that problem. I don't have a service manual anyway.

Next up I'm cleaning out the matching CD player, and hoping I don't have to order a new belt to get the tray to work again.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrrpDzUiTn4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

No. Just No.

Can't see the video here at work, but I've long since moved on from that phone. Though I really want that screen and bluetooth 3.0.

Samsung are good, at least the screens are as they make their own matrix's, which are better than rivals offer for the same price.

A question for the RAID experts: RAID 1, 5, or 10? RAID 0 not included as I require data redundancy.
I'm currently using RAID 1 on ICH9R with two WD2500AAKS drives, and as I need to reinstall Win 7 here in a little bit, I'd like to get a bit more speed out of the RAID. I have a spare WD2500AAKS and a WD3200AAKS that can be used for the new RAID level.

So which would be faster, 5 or 10, or even the 1 I'm already using?

I've always thought RAID 5 would be the way to go (but no experience with it). Offers some redundancy without cutting your available storage in half. Raid 10 would probably be the fastest based on the Wikipedia descriptions (yo dawg, we heard you like RAID...)

I'm really not qualified to give advice on this at all :lol:

RAID 5 is the most efficient RAID level, because of striped reads and low losses to redundancy, but without a dedicated controller with XOR logic and battery-backed write cache it will slow down on writes, as all writes require calculations to calculate the checksum over the written blocks. RAID10 will also offer some speed increase, because it's basically a stripe as well, but as with RAID1 you lose 50% of your storage to redundancy, as opposed to just one disk with RAID5. Also, with your disks you would be throwing another 70GB away since you have 3 250GB disks and one 320GB.

Imho, RAID5 only really makes sense when you're using a lot of drives - a minimum of 3, 4 or 5 is even better. Reason is, one full drive capacity will be used for redundancy, but you get the useful capacity of N-1 drives (where N is your total). And the more drives there are, the faster the whole system will be, at least in theory.

I'm looking for a cheap wired keyboard, I don't know, maybe with some programmable/media buttons.

What about this? How many keys can I simultaneously press on it?

MICROSOFT%20Comfort%20Curve%202000.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sad. I managed to fix the non-opening disc tray on my old CD player, but now when I put a CD in it closes and doesn't even spin the CD.

EDIT: Got it working. More searching lead to half a reference to someone describing adjustments to laser tracking pots on the CD players' main board, toying around with those similar to how it was described produced results and now it works. Huzzah!

Last edited:
I'm prepared to spend some more and get the Arctosa from an UK shop as it's about 20 pound less than here, but only if it's indeed good for gaming and multimedia use.

Edit:
Some of the reviews I've read on Amazon show the Razer has dodgy quality and the touch panel on the right "sticks" some times. So I'm back to the drawing board

Last edited:
anyone know why my lcd monitor won't turn on ?

a few times after i left it unplugged for a while, whilst connecting it to the power cable, the power light flashed for about 1 second... now though, nothing happens no matter what i do.

if anyone is even remotely interested, i got i repaired costed about 30 euros, had something to do with some ?power converter?

ouch!

how can you i make my oprea browser full screen but make the tab hide away, only to appear when i move the cursor at the top of the screen, like in IE 8 ?

Last edited:
I decided I need a new CPU, I have a AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ (2.6 Ghz) at the moment and I need an upgrade.
I was looking into an AMD Phenom II X4 945 (3.0 Ghz), it costs ?139.00 here.
First of all, is it any good? I use my computer for multimedia and gaming.
And secondly I will need a new motherboard too (with AM3 support) but I don't know anything about them, this is what I'm looking at: http://www.padeg.be/description.php?lang=2&path=5&sort=Article&page=0&id=4702

Any advice on installation etc?
I was thinking first CPU and cooler then memory and so on.
I've got Windows 7, so will it boot right away or will I need a new clean install? Presumably some new drivers too...
(first time doing sth. like this to my computer :))

Windows might boot but it will more likely need a clean install, probably better to reinstall if you can. I hear good things about the Phenom IIs.

Last edited:
^Thank you :)

What's up with those motherboards with intergrated GPU?
The cheapest motherboards seem to come with them...
I really want to keep using my current GPU though I've spent enough on it.
So could anyone give me some advice on a motherboard? Preferably < ?100
edit: my current memory is DDR2 if it matters :)

Last edited: