New HDD

Ice_warmer

MY new comp has some pretty quiet fans, so on quiet days, i can hear some noise every 3-4 seconds coming from the comp. I investigated, it seems my hdd makes those noises, i believe it is the read/write head moving about.

Is there a hdd on sale now that has a constant level of noise ?(apart from SSD which cost a fortune)

you want a constant level of noise?
I'd prefer silence, but hey, up to you...

I don't know about quiet HDDs, but you're not going to find one with a "constant" noise. You are correct that it's the read/write head, which only moves when you are, well, reading or writing.

Some HDDs support artificially reduced head acceleration to reduce the scratch-like noises.

Some HDD's support a mode to reduce the noise of the drive.
Usually (at least oin most drives I've encountered), this option is turned off.
I think it's called Automatic acoustic management(AAM).
Before getting a new drive, you can investigate if your current drive has this option.
However, your best bet may be to figure out why your PC is doing a lot of reading and writing every 3-4 seconds.

then noise becomes less irritating when i close my download agent, but does that canceling device reduce the speed of the drive significantly ?

Anyway, while still on the subject, is there any difference between 1 TB reasonably priced (70-100 euros) HDDs these days ? because I'm in the market for one.

As you seem to be quite sensitive to noise (good thing you did not use a pc in the nineties ;) )you should look up how loud your new drive is. The noise level when reading/writing is usually listed in some data sheet.

All drives are basically the same, statistically. That doesn't stop people from having very strong opinions about which companies are crap. Me? I replaced my old collection of WDs and Seagates with 3 1.5TB Seagates that were cheap and work well in my RAID array, and I can't hear them at all over the (quiet) fan in the case. Quiky won't touch Seagates though, because of all the problems they had about a year ago. Its a personal choice.

Just remember to back up your data. Please.

I mean it.

And remember, raid is for redundancy, not backups :p

Also for raids don't use the same manufacturer for all the drives. If you do there is a good chance they will all come the same batch and die around the same time.

I figure buying them from two different places is probably enough protection against that.

Probably, but there is always another chance of a deathstar fiasco.

Well, all in all: Get a new HDD, Samsung, Seagate or WD, doesn't really matter. Each can be loud, but doesn't have to be, if you get a bad one, send it back.
Also: My 2 1TB F1 Samsung are now pretty much silent in my new lancool case, even if multiple read/write things happen all at once... They are mounted in a hdd cage on rubber strips and the cage has 4 rubber dampeners around the things that go into the drive bay...

My point being: Its not only the HDD, but also the mounting of it...

Well, all in all: Get a new HDD, Samsung, Seagate or WD, doesn't really matter. Each can be loud, but doesn't have to be, if you get a bad one, send it back.
Also: My 2 1TB F1 Samsung are now pretty much silent in my new lancool case, even if multiple read/write things happen all at once... They are mounted in a hdd cage on rubber strips and the cage has 4 rubber dampeners around the things that go into the drive bay...

My point being: Its not only the HDD, but also the mounting of it...

did you mount the rubber strips yourself or did they came with the case ?

I have over 5Tb of stuff on my HDDs.

i mean do you really :wink: need :wink: every single piece of data from your HDD ?

i mean do you really :wink: need :wink: every single piece of data from your HDD ?

I would like to, since 90% of my files are all videos.