Beer

I'm impressed/surprised that you can find those at the corner packie in Finland.

Sometimes goverment monopolies work.
For instance, I can tell that nearest one has 12 bottles of Boston Lager on the shelf at the moment. Tomorrow probably atleast one less. :lol:

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had a good beer from Goose Island. I've had the IPA and a few others in bottles and they all hit you in the face with hops,* but the balance is lacking. I hear the 312 is good, so far they've all been pretty average for the taste.

*I realize IPA's are supposed to be hoppy.

I realize this is an old post, but I only recently started reading this thread. I haven't been a big fan of Goose Island in general, but I really like their 312.

We used to have widely available decent ales (Charringtons IPA, BASS - still around, Welsh Brewers, Banks's Mild, Worthington E (Seriously it was nice out of the barrell) - damn you Mrs Thatcher and the beer orders, damn you to hell!

Lies, damn lies and Politics. ...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmstand/deleg4/st021211/21211s01.htm

"The Government decided to require brewers owning more than 2,000 pubs to release from the tie half of the surplus over 2,000, thus creating some 11,000 more free houses."

The above is of course a lie, they were bought by the "mates" (Capital investment companies who rewarded the Tory party handsomely - remember the brewers had to loose their estates in short order, to comply with the law; so lost out on the value of the property) of the Tory Party who then negotiated exclusive contract brewing agreements with the previous owners. ...

Ruined a whole way of British life - bastards.

Last edited:
I'm impressed/surprised that you can find those at the corner packie in Finland.

The nordic monopolies are amongst the largest single purchasers of alcohol in the world so they can strike good deals with any supplier and they are legally required to supply the populace with a large supply of good quality drinks. The main idea behind the monopoly is to limit the damages caused by alcohol exposure by eliminating private profit interests.

If you want something that the monopoly does not store, you can order it and they will get it for you.
According to the website, they (both Systembolaget & Alko) currently stock over 2000 different kinds of wines, beers and spirits.

Last edited:
they are legally required to supply the populace with a large supply of good quality drinks
That's awesome!

If you want something that the monopoly does not store, you can order it and they will get it for you.
That's even awesomer!

Well hot damn! If you want to place some orders I recommend all of the offerings from Odell Brewing out of Ft. Collins Colorado.
OdellBrewingLogo.gif

Tried that on a recent trip South of the border. I'd have called it a letdown if I had expected anything out of it, absolutely gawdawful. Also it was 3.2% for some reason, it must suck to be a beer-drinker in US of A.

Many large brands brew 3.2% for special reasons because many towns, counties and some college cities can only sell 3.2%, or only 3.2% that is refrigerated at the store. Oklahoma comes to mind.

I don't get the whole college city thing, much harder stuff than beer is available.

Anyhow I have recently become a fan of Belgium Whites. I've found Hoegaarden to be pretty good.

The weird thing is it was nowhere near a college, I was halfway between Denver and Vail.

Also I probably would have liked my first bottle of Hoegaarden had a small dead fly not come out of the bottle and into my glass. Haven't been able to drink it since. Could it's unfiltered nature be to blame?

The weird thing is it was nowhere near a college, I was halfway between Denver and Vail.

Also I probably would have liked my first bottle of Hoegaarden had a small dead fly not come out of the bottle and into my glass. Haven't been able to drink it since. Could it's unfiltered nature be to blame?

Heh, true to the Earth. :p

There are only two whites I could see at the store, this and Blue Moon. I decided to try it. I'd say it is better, though it can be debatable if the extra cost is worth it.

But then I am known to spend $5 a pint for some stuff from the local brewery.

First post in here, so I figure I might as well list off my favorite beers of the moment:

1. St. Bernardus Abt 12
2. Any Trappist Ale
3. Rogue Dead Guy Ale
4. Surly Furious
5. Surly Darkness, although it is nigh-impossible to get except at special events.

Wow you go from really refined flavor from perfected brewing techniques.....to rogue dead guy which is anything but smooth and refined.:lol:

It's my beer of choice when I want something rough and bitter, hence why it is on my list.

Oh don't get me wrong it is a great beer with an excellent hoppy bite, I just thought it was funny how different it is from the first two on the list.

My list.

The special occasion.
Austria-%20Samichlaus%20Malt%20Liquor.jpg

The weekend favorites.
750675255_53299ec77b.jpg
x3 or so.
Beer-Paulaner-Salvator-Doppelbock.jpg

reserve%20special.jpg

The daily spin.
levitation-6-pack.jpg

WittekerkeBotgls.jpg

This isn't bad. A little lite, Kind of a bit of a citrus taste.

When i'm broke and need a cheap drink that taste ok and comes in a pop bottle(no shit) and cost $3.50
2319831789_aacd1244e7_b.jpg

:beer:

if they can get hold of this, they always may send me a bottle!
WestvleterenBak.jpg

so rare, than IF a bar has it, you'll be paying 25?+ for a bottle..in belgium...for a belgian beer :?

After reading up on Wikipedia, Westvleteren are special since they don't want anyone buying their beer! :p
Buyers of the beer receive a receipt with Niet verder verkopen ("Do not resell") printed on it. The abbey is very much against resale of their beer, and it is their wish that the beer is only commercially available at the two official sale points. To this end, any Westvleteren beer which is sold anywhere else in the world is grey market beer, as no wholesalers or pubs are supplied with the beer, and the abbey is actively working to eliminate the illicit sales
As the self-appointed "most rookie beer-lover" of all on this forum (I officially started my love of beer on the 31st december) trappist beers hold a special place in my fluid heart. The System currently offers Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Achel and La Trappe.

Last edited: