The Gun thread

The Weatherby's reportedly nice, but I would suggest a Savage 10/110 or 11/111 (cheaper, better trigger, actually more accurate) and a closeout Pentax Pioneer (aka a Burris Fullfield II) over the inferior Bushnell? Banner 3-9x40mm scope that comes in that package. You'll want one of the new ones with the Accutrigger.

The cheaper Savage 110 and 111 stocks suck, but for the price of a 110 and a stock... well, you'll have a much better rifle than the Weatherby and one that matches (or may very well beat) my Rem 700 VTR for accuracy - for a whole lot less money.

Last edited:
Damn it, they stopped selling those stocks as of the 10th. I was going to turn my old SKS into the Battle Rifle from Halo!

FUCK, KBI went out of business! Where am I going to get a new IWI Jericho 941 in .45 now!?
:cry:

(anyone shot one of the fullsize Jerichos in .45 anyway, opinions? I shot the 9mm and loved it, I hope the .45 is just as good.)

From any of the many vendors selling CZ75 clones. The 941 is an up-engineered CZ75 clone, mostly made out of Tanfoglio parts.

Try the EAA/Tanfoglio Combat/Standard for a replacement. Same gun, only minor cosmetic differences.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanfoglio_Combat/Standard

Yes, folks, it's a rebadge job.

A more serious question is who's going to import the FEG-made Hungarian Browning High Power clones or the Charles Daly US-made clones. They're decent quality, very cheap, and worthy choices for those needing a self-defense pistol on a budget. I'll miss those a lot more than the IWI pistols.

Last edited:
The bolt-action bullpup idea is both new and IMHO kind of useless.

I had liked the idea because of the decrease in overall length of the firearm that would occur for say a Mosin-Nagant, plus improved control over the muzzle. Although, other than that, I agree, perhaps not much use.

So whats the process of getting a non-imported gun to the US? I really wanna try to get a 6P9 makarov...

20060521192907113.jpg

(like I would rather get one of those than anything else honestly)

Last edited:
Basically, forget about it. You essentially can't do it unless you already owned it in another country and it'll cost you thousands to do so.

It would be cheaper to have one modified in the US to replicate what you want.

Last edited:
Basically, forget about it. You essentially can't do it unless you already owned it in another country and it'll cost you thousands to do so.

It would be cheaper to have one modified in the US to replicate what you want.

:(

Looking at picking up an over-under. For years I have been using my trusty browning sweet 16, but I went dove hunting with an over-under this year and I have decided I really liked the feel. However I was a dumbass and forgot which one I shot. Any recommendations? Looking more on the budget end.

Beretta made their name with shotguns, take a look at them.

As much as I would love the Beretta's (and I am hunting for a deal on a used one) they are quite expensive. They start at $1900 new.

Take a look at the (surprise) Browning Superposed (ranked above the Berettas at #5 on Griffin & Howe's list of the top ten finest shotguns) and Citori over/unders. You might find a good deal used on one; one of the more recently imported arms that's well thought of is the FABARM line of over/unders, some of which were made by H&K (or so the common wisdom has it).

I think I actually prefer side-by-side to over-under, why would over-under be better? Aside from price.

Over-under does not require you to adjust your lead left or right depending on which barrel you are firing (which you have to on a side-by-side and you can sight down the axis of the barrels instead of having to sight down the trough between them. The result is a more accurate shotgun that's easier to hit with - and its yet another John Browning invention.

Of course, this only applies if you're being 'sporting' or limited to certain types of shotguns for hunting or a sport. Combat shotgunning is a wholly different arena from sport shooting - and the side-by-side is superior in that arena (when compared to the over/under).

Last edited:
My mom just forwarded this to me after trying to confirm it on Snopes and the Remington website (hey, at least I have her trained to fact-check forwarded emails now). She was wondering what I could find about it, so I present it you you fine gentlemen of the shooting community.

Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 3:05 PM

I saw a neighbor in the community center this morning, that is a manager at the Remington ammunition plant, in this area. They don?t sell to the government, but sell sporting ammo to places like Wal-Mart and other sporting stores, for private consumption. I don?t know what the motivation is(whether it is government policy, or an attempt to keep sales up for profit), but in the near future, they are going to start changing all their primers. These newly manufactured primers will have a shelf life of SIX months, ONLY. At about six months, the primers will deteriorate, rendering the ammunition useless. You will of course, have to buy more, if you want more. Just a heads up, so you can act accordingly. I am sure that other manufactures will do the same, as they won?t want to miss out on any money making opportunity. Spread the word!

Over-under does not require you to adjust your lead left or right depending on which barrel you are firing (which you have to on a side-by-side and you can sight down the axis of the barrels instead of having to sight down the trough between them. The result is a more accurate shotgun that's easier to hit with - and its yet another John Browning invention.

Of course, this only applies if you're being 'sporting' or limited to certain types of shotguns for hunting or a sport. Combat shotgunning is a wholly different arena from sport shooting - and the side-by-side is superior in that arena (when compared to the over/under).

As spectre pointed out this is in no way a combat shotgun for me. It's for bird hunting (primarily Dove/Quail) and the occasional day of trap shooting. There are a number of factors that make me want an over-under. First as Texas has a 3 shell limit for hunting you only sacrifice one shell, but you gain the ability to run two different chokes, which has distinct advantages in the field. Secondly, like I said previously, I just liked the feel.

edit: and that Remington thing sounds really odd. Seems to me like they would risk loosing their customers. Unless it is regulated, someone out there will keep using long lasting primers, and they will get all the business. Ah the wonders of the free market. But you never know. Just sounds like it would make another run on ammo. Great.

Last edited:
So I like the 7.62mm round, but I'm not a fan of the AK-47.

How about an M-14 variant. Does anyone make semi-autos that are worthwhile?

The Chinese make M14 clones that aren't great, however they are currently banned from US import. I would avoid any left running around from when they were legal to bring in due to known metallurgy screwups.

Pretty much any new M14/M14NM/M1A you see running around is either going to be a buildup off of some older receiver or it's going to be a Springfield Armory built one. The SA built ones are pretty good to great and come in a variety of models from an old classic style to a modern combat type.

Also, the original AK does not fire the same 7.62x51 NATO/.308 Winchester round as the M14. It fires a shorter and less powerful 7.62x39 AK or Russian round; the two do not interchange. Other semi-auto weapons that fire the M14's 7.62 NATO round 'natively' include the FN FAL, the H&K G3, the AR-10 and associated variants/clones (think AR-15 on steroids), the CETME, the Saiga 308, and the Keltec RFB among others.

What do you guys think about the Marlin 1895?

I think I'd like to get a .45-70 at some point.

Too many toys, not enough money.