Bad cars you have a soft spot for?

Suzuki Swift GT

1990-94-Suzuki-Swift-92811021990102.jpg

It was gutless, had shitty interior but my god did they handle well. I kinda want to get one to turn into an auto-x car.

Gutless? It had 100hp and weighed less than 1000kg. It is quite fast, considering everything else at the time.

That car reminded me of something a friend of mine used to have that I drove only once - 1991 Mitsubishi Colt 1.6 GTi. 145hp in such a small car - it was scary impressive! Golf GTI - no thanks! I'll take a Colt GTi!

83-86_Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo_SS.jpg

I absolutely love 1980s GM G-Bodies. Stock they're pathetically slow, can't stop, can't turn and nearly all of them came with lame V6s, gutless V8s and glass transmissions. Sure there was the GNX, but those still command a premium for even the roughest examples. Any other model practically needs the entire drivetrain replaced to get anything out of it.

But I had an '84 Monte Carlo (CL, iirc) that despite being utterly gutless, was totally endearing. And a fantastic highway car that got surprisingly good gas mileage after a thorough tune up and a few basic modifications. Of course, it later burst into flames for no apparent reason, but I still want another one.

My first car was a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix G-body, with said lame V-6. An utter tank, yet somehow fun as hell to drive. Not to mention it would still out run the occasional Honda Civic, but I imagine that was because of the lack of A/C, and my radio was a boom box sitting in the back seat. The transmission was starting to die when my parents forced me to sell it, though.

Gutless? It had 100hp and weighed less than 1000kg. It is quite fast, considering everything else at the time.

I guess it depends on your frame of reference. The Horizon I had was 1043 kg with 93 hp, and I thought it was pretty gutless. Then again, I often think my 1380 kg Cougar with 190 hp is underpowered.

milenovic_yugo_03.jpg

The Yugo. :) Yes, most of the world thinks it's shit, and it most likely is - but that matters not to me. It was my first car, and it met a rather premature end when I was rear-ended on a traffic light by a drunkard doing 100 km/h in a Rover 620..

I guess it's normal for everyone to remember their first car fondly.. :)

p.s. That one up there is NOT mine. Mine *was* white though.

the Chrysler 300C SRT8

based on an old Merc, horrible to drive BUT it's so HOOOOOT

2005-Chrysler-300C-SRT-8-FA-1280x960.jpg

and the sound is much nicer in this than the V10 in the M5 i must say(my opinion) but a 6.1l V8 with only 425 hp is rubbish but I would so like to floor it on a German Autobahn

10003-1997-Ford-Explorer.jpg

Mine was white. I loved that truck. 150k miles and no problems whatsoever other than driver error. Sure it was slow, not very good off-road, the radio wasn't any good, it only got around 10mpg the way I drove it, buuuut.

I loved it because it had character. It had a personality. It had more steering feel than my other car (Toyota Avalon lol). It never wanted to quit, and it never once left me stranded anywhere.

Until I caught it on fire.

Still miss the big tank.

There I did it...

11.jpg

Apparently there are very few of us.

Oh, and the '95-'96 Sebring coupe, mostly because I had one, and it wasn't awful like the modern ones or convertibles. (not mine but looked like it):
1996_chrysler_sebring_2_dr_lx_coupe-pic-8630109790833990725.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoever told you that is mad.
I drove one once and it was brilliant!
Did you race it?

Awful? No, far from it. Sometimes unpredictable, in same way as the S2k's are, Yes.
I heard that the suspension geometry is bonkers so even with new suspension the handling still leaves a lot to be desired

i have this strange irrational love of the Geo Storm GSi. Something about it just screams rallycross to me.

2724-1990-Geo-Storm.jpg

I love the Chevy Vegas
sucp_0703_02_z+1972_chevy_vega+front_view.jpg

53218785_pr.jpg

I'd even buy one given the chance, but I've only ever seen dragsters for sale over here.

Oltcit_Special.jpg

This was made in Romania in cooperation with Citroen and it was based on the Citroen Prototype Y. My dad had two of these and I loved both of them. (It's actually called an Oltcit)