James May: Dr. Slow

^ Yeah, I'd be happy if either of them got one. :nod:

There was an open nomination process over the summer. From the resulting longlist, the student body selected this shortlist:

The student body has a vote in who will be awarded an honary degree? Sorry, but that's absurd. It's not the X-factor, is it? :?

I think Michael Palin's already got a cupboard full of them

James has been awarded a honorary degree from his old University! :D

The presenter of Top Gear James May and renowned broadcaster Dame Joan Bakewell DBE are among six people distinguished in their field who are to be awarded honorary degrees at the July degree ceremonies.

Mr James May [DLitt]

James May is an award-winning British television presenter and journalist, and a graduate of Lancaster University. He is best known as co-presenter of the motoring programme Top Gear, and he has also presented a variety of other programmes, including James May on the Moon, James May?s 20th Century and James May?s Big Ideas.

May has written articles for several publications, including CAR Magazine Top Gear Magazine, as well as a weekly column in The Daily Telegraph. In 2000 he won the Guild of Motoring Writers Journalist of the Year award.

A keen flautist and pianist, James May studied music at Lancaster University, where he was a member of Pendle College.

http://domino.lancs.ac.uk/INFO/lunews.nsf/I/9FB3333B5AE07A36802576DD00494371

Last edited:
:cheers: Huzzah!

That's nice. Proper, grown-up recognition for his skills as a communicator, alongside the fearsomely intelligent and accomplished Joan Bakewell and some pretty impressive sounding science types. I bet he's chuffed to bits.

I'll bet he's also really, really embarassed. ;)

Cue the Battle of the Robes and Silly Hats in the 15.01 news! :D:D:D:D

I can see it now - two spanners in dark stripey-sleeved velvet and poncy betassled hats wrasslin' on the floor.

I'd pay good money to see that. :lmao:

^^

LOL! I'd watch that. :D

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of much mockery and snark, and Clarkson showing up wearing horrifically overblown ostentatious robes in, say, gold lame or something and wearing a four foot tall miter. ;)

YES. Gold lam?, rhinestones and SEQUINS. He could show up looking like Louis XVI and the others would mock raucously. "What, did you show up here expecting a coronation?! You aren't King Jeremy the First!" "Wot? I'm the Earl of Engineering! I BUILT THIS NATION." :lmao:

/crack

Very well done James!

Although I did find this amusing:
The fact you're from Bristol (at 10th, one place worse than Exeter in the Times' Good Uni Guide) and your use of the word 'innit' means your opinion counts for nothing, sir.

You're actually suggesting a leading Russell Group research university is worse than Exeter? You realise that the only metric Exeter is ahead on in that table is student satisfaction, which is easily achieved if you pander and make degrees easier?

The title of this thread makes it sound like they're either wrestlers (an hilarious image in itself) or superheros; battling the uneducated everywhere.

I went to Hull uni, does that make me a moron or a genius? - you decide.

:)

I went to Birmingham, which is probably even worse

The title of this thread makes it sound like they're either wrestlers (an hilarious image in itself) or superheros; battling the uneducated everywhere.

You know, that might make it into the next Big Book of Top Gear. *snicker*

Poor Hammond, all left out. ;)

Very well done James!

Although I did find this amusing:

You're actually suggesting a leading Russell Group research university is worse than Exeter? You realise that the only metric Exeter is ahead on in that table is student satisfaction, which is easily achieved if you pander and make degrees easier?
Yeahhhh, might have got that one a bit wrong... :whistle: