Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Do I need to remind you it's a VW? I'll ask, but I'm prepared for them to laugh at me.

But but but but.... the Germans on FG tell us that everything with a VAG badge is the epitome of perfection and nothing would ever go wrong! How can this be??!?!??!

(If you can't see the sarcasm dripping off that....)

It's Sachs part SG101018, RockAuto.com sells them for $52.79. Probably the cheapest you're going to get, what with the Volkswagen Tax and everything. :p Looks like everywhere else is either NLA or can't special order it.

Last edited:
I appreciate you looking that up. And LOL, 50% more than what other people estimate off cuff is usually what I plan for on just about everything with this car. I was just trying to think through it and I need at least 1-2 fairly strong people to hold the hood up while I futz with the strut do I not? Because unfortunately I don't have that. A couple of 2x4s aren't going to cut it right? Vice grips may have to do until I can afford to take it in or buy a new car (these 2 things are likely to happen at the same time).

I complain about it a lot, but it hasn't been a truly terrible car in general. It is, after all, 8 years old and 75,000 miles now. Things are going to go wrong. If I had known a better mechanic from the beginning and had some better advice on taking care of it (the latter is entirely my fault and mostly the result of being a 22 year old girl), I think it would be holding up even better. I can't blame everything on the car. Some of it is definitely on my shoulders.

Last edited:
I'm driving a '95 XJ6 with 147,000 miles on it. After a tune up it works fine.

I've got a '90 Pathfinder with 265,000 miles; it's still happily trundling along and I don't treat it very well at all. Neither did the prior owner (according to his records, he was always late on maintenance.)

And yes, you'll need a prop to hold up the hood while someone switches out the hood shock. A single well-wedged 2x4 will suffice, your hood isn't like the hundred pound plus monsters on the Jags.

Last edited:
Well, failing VAGs keep an honest local businessman going. That's good right? :p

Well, failing VAGs keep an honest local businessman going. That's good right? :p

Yes, right up until the thing detonates spectacularly on some dark rainy night out on some godforsaken back road. :p

And then some roguish guy in a black Jag idles up and offers you a ride... :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I appreciate you looking that up. And LOL, 50% more than what other people estimate off cuff is usually what I plan for on just about everything with this car. I was just trying to think through it and I need at least 1-2 fairly strong people to hold the hood up while I futz with the strut do I not? Because unfortunately I don't have that. A couple of 2x4s aren't going to cut it right? Vice grips may have to do until I can afford to take it in or buy a new car (these 2 things are likely to happen at the same time).

I complain about it a lot, but it hasn't been a truly terrible car in general. It is, after all, 8 years old and 75,000 miles now. Things are going to go wrong. If I had known a better mechanic from the beginning and had some better advice on taking care of it (the latter is entirely my fault and mostly the result of being a 22 year old girl), I think it would be holding up even better. I can't blame everything on the car. Some of it is definitely on my shoulders.

YOu can probably get your snow brush to hold the hood open. Just make sure that it is nearly vertical, and has a good grip at both ends. Of course that is another temporary measure. Take a trip down to your local parts store and see if they have the part you need.

While it is not uncommon for the hood strut to fail after 8 years, it sux that they cost about $50. That must be one special strut.

Briefly drove an E30 318 (with lots of problems). Didn't get to pitch it through many turns but the engine is buttery smooth - I wasn't looking at the tach because it felt like it was just getting going and next thing I knew I bounced off the rev limiter. E30 fever is getting higher and higher.

YOu can probably get your snow brush to hold the hood open. Just make sure that it is nearly vertical, and has a good grip at both ends. Of course that is another temporary measure. Take a trip down to your local parts store and see if they have the part you need.

A snow what? Snow buh-buh-brush? What's "snow" and why does it need to fix it's hair? :p (Yes I know I don't have a location up, but it doesn't snow here although you have no reason to know that of course.) I'll just need to measure and get home depot to cut me down a 2x4 to size. I don't believe I own anything sturdy enough to hold it up. It's not 100 pounds, but it's not carbon fiber either. I'll look at my mop handles and stuff, but most of them don't have removable functional ends.

While it is not uncommon for the hood strut to fail after 8 years, it sux that they cost about $50. That must be one special strut.

It's been blessed by VW, with special German-engineered holy water. The price is completely expected to me. As soon as Spectre said $30-40 I knew it'd be more (and I'm also slightly concerned that it will require more than simple "hand tools" and will instead need a special from VW only fitted widgety dodad thingamabobber in addition).

E30 fever is getting higher and higher.

Try penicillin, it should clear that right up. :D

A snow what? Snow buh-buh-brush? What's "snow" and why does it need to fix it's hair? :p (Yes I know I don't have a location up, but it doesn't snow here although you have no reason to know that of course.) I'll just need to measure and get home depot to cut me down a 2x4 to size. I don't believe I own anything sturdy enough to hold it up. It's not 100 pounds, but it's not carbon fiber either. I'll look at my mop handles and stuff, but most of them don't have removable functional ends.

A simple wooden dowel of 1" diameter should suffice, it's not that heavy.

It's been blessed by VW, with special German-engineered holy water. The price is completely expected to me. As soon as Spectre said $30-40 I knew it'd be more (and I'm also slightly concerned that it will require more than simple "hand tools" and will instead need a special from VW only fitted widgety dodad thingamabobber in addition).

That I doubt, they're almost always held in by (in your case, Metric) bolts or nuts.

A simple wooden dowel of 1" diameter should suffice, it's not that heavy.

Ehh, I gotta buy that too. Probably costs more than the 2x4 (although I could cut a dowel myself, HD cuts for free anyway). I really don't have any mops or brooms or anything I can cannibalize. I have, I think, I spare Swiffer. I've lived in 3 states in the past 5 years so I haven't really acquired stuff.

That I doubt, they're almost always held in by (in your case, Metric) bolts or nuts.

You're a trusting one aren't you? I'll peek around before I do anything. Hopefully it's just nuts and bolts. I do have wrenches. Well, my dad does at least. I see no reason to shell out. Hell I'll go look now. I'm stuck waiting on the laundry anyway.

EDIT
Ok it's definitely a standard nut up where the strut connects to the hood.
100_3787.jpg

I just couldn't get in at the right angle while holding the hood to get a good look at where it attaches to the vehicle.
100_3783.jpg

100_3782.jpg

Also, is an iron on my engine random enough to prove ownership? Not that any of you were really ultra concerned about my faking an old Passat. Note shiny new dipstick! Woot!
100_3789.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT
Ok it's definitely a standard nut up where the strut connects to the hood.
100_3787.jpg

I just couldn't get in at the right angle while holding the hood to get a good look at where it attaches to the vehicle.
100_3783.jpg

100_3782.jpg

Looks like it may have been replaced once already. All you'll need is a small enough flatbladed screwdriver to stick under those 'bands' that wrap the 'ball ends' or heads of the strut. You simply prise those away from the heads (notice the small groove/cut under the band to give you clearance) and they'll release from the mounting ball/studs. (No sexual innuendo, please.) Your replacement strut may not use the same size ball stud as the one bolted into your hood, check carefully before you install the new one. If not, just use a standard socket and swap out the ball studs. If they do, just (literally) line up the head with the stud (on each end) and give the head a sharp rap with the heel of your hand; it'll snap on.

Also, is an iron on my engine random enough to prove ownership? Not that any of you were really ultra concerned about my faking an old Passat. Note shiny new dipstick! Woot!
100_3789.jpg

Hm, sense of humor, vaguely interested in cars. Perhaps we should add you to the 'FG girls who should be cloned' list along with Kiki. :D

Why is this not in the awesome thread?

No idea, but it's awesome/random. :D

Why is this not in the awesome thread?
It's there, but don't give me too much credit here. The simple fact is I was in the garage, there was not a piece of paper and a pen, there was an iron (it's broken, I'm considering taking it apart).
Looks like it may have been replaced once already. All you'll need is a small enough flatbladed screwdriver to stick under those 'bands' that wrap the 'ball ends' or heads of the strut. You simply prise those away from the heads (notice the small groove/cut under the band to give you clearance) and they'll release from the mounting ball/studs. (No sexual innuendo, please.) Your replacement strut may not use the same size ball stud as the one bolted into your hood, check carefully before you install the new one. If not, just use a standard socket and swap out the ball studs. If they do, just (literally) line up the head with the stud (on each end) and give the head a sharp rap with the heel of your hand; it'll snap on.

If it was replaced, I wasn't told about it or it was a hidden part of a bigger recall and wasn't specifically mentioned. I can't recall off hand stuff that's been done to the car, but I do generally remember when prompted and I can tell you for sure it's never failed before (I'm the only owner). I don't get in there and work on the car, but I do check the oil and fill the washer fluid. It's also equally dirty with everything else so it would have been quite a long time ago. I see what you mean about how the head of the strut snaps in there. It was just hard to really look at it with my arms up over my head and a lame camping lantern for light.

But now the laundry is finished and I will sleep.

Hood struts?
Ha!
My Italian car doesn't have one, so I never have to worry about it failing. That's Italian engineering for you! :p

Hood struts?
Ha!
My Italian car doesn't have one, so I never have to worry about it failing. That's Italian engineering for you! :p

No, instead you have a prop-rod made out of spaghetti that slowly bends out of line and causes the hood to try to eat you while you're working on the car. :D

I love how my hood opens the first half on the gas strut, to check fluid levels and stuff, but once you start doing proper maintenance, you can open it beyond 90 degrees, where it has a mechanical failsafe against falling shut accidentally.

That is a neat feature of that generation of Mercedes that I wish had caught on elsewhere.

Hood struts?
Ha!
I am quickly coming to appreciate the old fashioned stick method. When I was car poking at the auto show I actually thought "meh, doesn't have hood strut, that's mildly inconvenient." (Ok actually I thought "meh, doesn't have hood hydraulicy holdy up thingie" but close enough.) My thought process is suddenly slightly modified.
I love how my hood opens the first half on the gas strut, to check fluid levels and stuff, but once you start doing proper maintenance, you can open it beyond 90 degrees, where it has a mechanical failsafe against falling shut accidentally.
That is rather nifty. When you come to power you can make them mandatory.

My hood has two struts that hold it up perfectly fine even after 315,xxx kms. Not saying they should fail at any particular time but thats not bad.

I'd prefer the little stick you put up yourself, like a something Honda or Toyota would do.