BMW 1 Series thoughts?

Ugh, major wrench thrown in here... My local VW dealer has a certified 2008 R32 for sale w/ only 7000 miles on the ODO. Would be able to pick this up for a couple thousand less than a 128i. Decisions decisions...

Do it, you wont regret owning an R32.

Thanks everyone, car arrived on my dealers lot yesterday - looks & drives awesome! Power feels much more potent in the 128 with a 6 speed manual. Will post pics when I officially take delivery, should be in the next week and 1/2. :)

Good to hear. Hope you like it!

Picked it up this week... first brand-new car that I have ever owned! 2010 128i (6speed / Sport Package / Premium Audio / HID / iPod / Moonroof / Keyless / Alarm / ETC). Got a fantastic deal on it as a 2010 model, cant wait to start autocrossing in a couple weeks!

At the dealership:
DSCN4549.jpg

OEM angel eyes:
DSCN4548.jpg

Back home in my garage, time for first mod! (such a riceboy)
DSCN4553.jpg

I had enough with the lack of space. Quickly took the airbox out so that I could access the headlamps. Much easier.
DSCN4563.jpg

Ta-da! Better angels w/ Mtec H8's installed. (now they match my factory HID's)
DSCN4573.jpg

Looks good in the garage, outside is a rainy mess.
DSCN4574.jpg

Quick shot of the clean interior.
Untitled_Panorama2.jpg

Couldn't be happier with my purchase right now. Going to take a bit of getting use to driving it though - torque sits all at the low end as compared to my previous Honda / Acura's!

Allow me to congratulate you on your purchase. With that said, I wouldn't take it auto crossing until you've put about 6-8k with it and you've broke in the engine and are familiar with how it delivers power and know all the controls.

congrats : )

on the babybmw forums, alot of people moan about quite severe clutch judder (from misaligned pressure plates, or plates that arent flat and are warped/bent round one axis)

its been reported even on new cars after only a few k and numerous BMW dealers acknowledge it as a problem....BMW's fix is a software update that simply raises the idle engine speed. this doesnt seem to work for most people though. i assume their thinking was higher idle speeds mean that when pulling away the juddering freq is higher and therefore less noticable. on diesels the idle was brought to 1300 which is entirely too high and apparently makes engine breaking and pulling away from stationary quite difficult.

i think its mainly to do with diesels but there were petrol guys in the mix too so just be weary

Last edited:
^

yeah, that problem has been reported on a few early manual variants, although it has never happened to any of the 1 series that I drove (120d, 120i and 130i).

Just feed it a bit more throttle on take off and you won't get that juddering when releasing the clutch.

I hope you enjoy the car. Should be a good one ;)

This. I would have recommended it too,but as you know BMW do want a premium for their badge.
Im quite surprised at the big price differences in the US compared to their rivals, in Europe they're a bit more expensive than standard, but not that much

Also, I would have gone for a diesel engine (123d to be precise), but then again I am weird...

This. I would have recommended it too,but as you know BMW do want a premium for their badge.
Im quite surprised at the big price differences in the US compared to their rivals, in Europe they're a bit more expensive than standard, but not that much

Also, I would have gone for a diesel engine (123d to be precise), but then again I am weird...

We only get the 128i and the 135i here in North America; this is one of the reasons why the 1-Series is so expensive here (in addition to the premium BMW feels they are justified charging for their brand over here). If it was available, I would have given serious consideration to the 123d when I was shopping for my 135.

Last edited:
yes diesel FTW.

Also just noticed this : is is true that the 135i is only available with the stupid boot?
from what I see the most powerful hatch 1 series you can get is the 130i, which is stoopid

yes diesel FTW.

Also just noticed this : is is true that the 135i is only available with the stupid boot?
from what I see the most powerful hatch 1 series you can get is the 130i, which is stoopid

yep, and i hate the looks of the 1 coupe, those rear lights just look weird

i also want a 1 hatch :(

They say why buy a boxter? Because you cant afford a 911. Why buy a 1 series? Because you cant afford a 3? Ive never liked the look of the one series. Plus it seems more like a girls car than anything. I guess im too late to make any difference though lol. Enjoy your shiny new ride. As long as it makes YOU happy that's all that matters

Last edited: