My 89 Merkur XR4Ti

Okay, sit back, because this may blow your minds: a trunk/boot lid is simply a door to a cargo area, and, guess what, they are never counted toward the number of doors on a car.

Okay, sit back, because this may blow your minds: a trunk/boot lid is simply a door to a cargo area, and, guess what, they are never counted toward the number of doors on a car.

On a hatchback, it is counted as a door because it opens onto the passenger cell of the car.

On a sedan, it does not directly open onto the passenger cell.

Sorry dude, hatches are doors.
IMG_1868.JPG

Last edited:
Let's take this BMW M3 Sedan for example.
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lupin_iv/2010/03/10/2008-bmw-m3-sedan-trunk.jpg
The rear seats fold down to enlarge the cargo area, thus making the trunk open to the passenger compartment.
Does this make it a five door when either of the rear seats are folded, but a four door when they are both in the upright position?
Or perhaps it would be a six door when the trunk is open as the seats fold independently?

See? Cargo doors are not equal to passenger doors.

With the seats in their normal upright position, can you see into the passenger cell of the BMW M3 from the trunk? No?

If you can see into/access the passenger cell without moving the seats from the cargo area under the hatch, it's a door.

Also, Wikipedia:

Hatchback and estate or station wagon bodies are sold as 'three-door' or 'five-door' models. In these cases, the rear hatch is classified as a door; this is because it enters the passenger compartment.

Last edited:
With the seats in their normal upright position, can you see into the passenger cell of the BMW M3 from the trunk? No?

If you can see into/access the passenger cell without moving the seats from the cargo area under the hatch, it's a door.

Also, Wikipedia:

Low and behold, two lines below that:
Usually in North America, cars are only sold as "two-door" or "four-door" models. This American-style labelling only includes the passengers' and driver's doors, and not hatches on hatchbacks and station wagons. This has led to many not understanding that hatches are counted as doors in Europe, whilst the lids to sealed trunks aren't.

If you can reasonably use it to get in a seat, albeit looking like a moron, it's a door.

If you can reasonably use it to get in a seat, albeit looking like a moron, it's a door.

Agreed. Also, my registration papers say FORD SIERRA 3D, not 2D. Let's take this discussion elsewhere and not clog up the thread..

Low and behold, two lines below that:

Yes, but the problem with that statement (which is the part that is marked with the [citation needed], not the part explaining that hatches and wagons have an odd number of doors) is when you go look at how the US Government classifies cars. There is a 3 door and 5 door classification at EPA and DOT.

In addition, states can provide additional classifications beyond that. My own state has some.... archaic classifications ('travelall' and 'carryall' are actual legal body types here - +rep to the first person who remembers where that comes from without searching for it). We sidestep the issue entirely, as 'station wagon' and 'hatchback/liftback' are legally defined terms here and are separate from 'two door' and 'four door'.

Last edited:
A travelall is more or less an SUV by my understanding.
A carryall is a 2 seat closed-body car.

A travelall is more or less an SUV by my understanding.
A carryall is a 2 seat closed-body car.

The body type on my Pathfinder's title says "CA" - short for Carryall.

My Pathfinder is 5 doors, 4 seats. :D

Yes, but the problem with that statement (which is the part that is marked with the [citation needed], not the part explaining that hatches and wagons have an odd number of doors) is when you go look at how the US Government classifies cars. There is a 3 door and 5 door classification at EPA and DOT.

In addition, states can provide additional classifications beyond that. My own state has some.... archaic classifications ('travelall' and 'carryall' are actual legal body types here - +rep to the first person who remembers where that comes from without searching for it). We sidestep the issue entirely, as 'station wagon' and 'hatchback/liftback' are legally defined terms here and are separate from 'two door' and 'four door'.

Travelall as in the Binder?:p

Carryall was a type of carriage, but the earliest thing that comes to my mind for travelall is International Harvester's wagon-bodied full-size truck. :hmm:

I'd guess they classify SUVs with two rows of seats as carryalls, and those with third row seating as travelalls in Texas.

Carryall.

Confederateshotgun.jpg

Tavelall:

ChancellorsvilleBattlefieldModern.jpg

Ford%20Sierra%20Cosworth%20CXT1880%208%20X%2018.JPG

IMG_9461.jpg

Picture071.jpg

1985_Merkur_XR4ti_Rally_America_Car_Rear_1.jpg

Last edited:
Been doing a little bit of this and that with the car lately. I'm actually working on it consistently or at least trying to for the first time. Last week I bought some new parts including a water pump, timing belt, and pulley. Removed the old water pump and put on the new one last Friday. Today I'm hoping I can get the crank bolt off so I install the timing belt and pulley. I also want to put the valve cover on and refill it with oil.

Hopefully some pictures will be posted this afternoon.