General Toyota lawsuit/recall/problem thread

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/10/...autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Last November, the Toyota Tundra recall to address premature rusting frames was expanded to include trucks from the 2000-2003 model years. That recall, though, only applied to 20 states and Washington, D.C. ? those areas where cold weather and road treatments could cause expedited corrosion.

Today, however, The Associated Press reports that the recall has been further expanded to include Tundras from those model years in all 50 states. Toyota apparently hasn't said how many trucks that means it is recalling, but if you have one of those Tundras, you might wish to give your dealer a call.

We need to be careful about these cases a lot I feel can be attributed to stupid drivers.

500x_runaway_prius_driver.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5489244/runaway-toyota-prius-driver-had-to-be-told-to-use-emergency-brake

Going the way of the Audi all those years ago.

True. Mass media frenzy, questionable "investigational" reporting, mass public hysteria, sales dropping like a rock. The multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit will be next.

And the bitch of it is, that if Toyota fits new models with some altered electronics as a safety measue, just in case, everyone will go "Aha, so there was a problem in the first place, that Toyota tried to cover up!"

It's what's called a downward spiral.

Not only that but now every single incident of SUA complaint regarding any Toyota/Lexus will become its own story as local stations are now much more likely to report those for the ratings and exclusive features.

The fact that barely any station paid attention to that one Rhonda Smith but now every local station is foaming at the mouth for another Toyota/Lexus SUA story shows how disingenuous and a complete fraud the media truly is. (not that this hasn't been known forever heh)

Last edited:
Interesting, apparently 2nd gen. Prius models are equipped with the Throttle Override system already, and can be shifted into neutral fairly easily, at least according to this group of videos:

The Consumerist said:
As more reports of runaway Toyota Prius vehicles begin to pile up, there is an ever-widening chasm between those who ask "Why didn't the driver just put the car into neutral?" and those who reply "Because it doesn't work on a Prius." Well, one series of incredibly interesting ? but also entirely unscientific ? road tests will likely only add fuel to the debate's fire.

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/video-does-putting-a-runaway-prius-into-neutral-slow-it-down.html

Of course, these safeguards could be working fine in normal circumstances, but things could be totally different if the computers in the car are freaking out...

And the bitch of it is, that if Toyota fits new models with some altered electronics as a safety measue, just in case, everyone will go "Aha, so there was a problem in the first place, that Toyota tried to cover up!"

It's what's called a downward spiral.

The only thing I see doing anything in a circular motion: The vultures

I think that the Prius, and other Toyotas are becoming self aware and will hunt down and kill Sara Connor.

Damn Skynet!

^Ahh thanks, new Audis have an electronic e-brake.....

That section on the gearlever entitled "B" is actually for regenerative breaking or something, I believe. Something that uses engine breaking, not sure about the regenerative part...

That section on the gearlever entitled "B" is actually for regenerative breaking or something, I believe. Something that uses engine breaking, not sure about the regenerative part...

regenerative braking works in any of the driving modes. the "b" is simply a low gear (which, in turn, generates more power from regenerative braking)

We need to be careful about these cases a lot I feel can be attributed to stupid drivers.

500x_runaway_prius_driver.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5489244/runaway-toyota-prius-driver-had-to-be-told-to-use-emergency-brake

I just read about a 37-year-old woman in Florida, who crashed her car while shaving her pubes on the way to her boyfriend, with her ex-husband (!) holding the steering wheel for her.

So maybe the yet unanswered question, why those Toyota accidents mainly happen in the USA, lies... well, somewhere in the unknown inbetween?

I just read about a 37-year-old woman in Florida, who crashed her car while shaving her pubes on the way to her boyfriend, with her ex-husband (!) holding the steering wheel for her.

So maybe the yet unanswered question, why those Toyota accidents mainly happen in the USA, lies... well, somewhere in the unknown inbetween?

Many of the affected models are only sold in the US. Those that aren't just sold in the US often have US-specific equipment fits which they sometimes share with US-only Toyotas.

Well, the unwanted accelerations happen here, too. But the deadly accidents all happened in the USA, as far as I know...

Runaway Prius driver may have faked unintended acceleration:

James Sikes, the San Diego runaway Toyota Prius driver, filed for bankruptcy in 2008 and now has over $700,000 in debt. According to one anonymous tipster, we're also told he hasn't been making payments on his Prius.

We received an email earlier today from an anonymous tipster who claims James (Jim) Sikes, the driver of the runaway Toyota Prius, was in financial trouble and even behind by five months on his payments for the Prius. If that's true, it's potential motivation for wanting to find an out ? any out ? on paying for the vehicle.

We did some public records searches (thanks to the help of Gawker's John Cook) and found Sikes and his wife Patty found themselves, like many in the California real estate business, on the bursting side of the real estate bubble last year. The two declared bankruptcy in June of 2008 and have a combined liability of over $700,000 dollars in debt.

Among the list of creditors holding secured claims is none other than Toyota Financial Services for a lease on a 2008 Toyota Prius with 7,200 miles on the odometer. Total value of the lease at the time of bankruptcy was $20,494.

So, with almost three-quarter million dollars in debt there's obviously the potential for financial motivation here. But, for his part, when we questioned Mr. Sikes over email earlier today, he denied being behind on his Prius payments.

Mr. Sikes also has not shied away from cameras appearing on CNN and numerous other television programs. In each, he's stated numerous times he's not going to sue and isn't looking for any financial remuneration from Toyota other than a new vehicle.

We've asked the law firm representing him to furnish us with an up-to-date copy of his Toyota statement and we'll post that as soon as we receive it ? to either debunk this myth or add fuel to any fire.

We'd also like to point out Toyota itself sent out a tweet yesterday showing how a Prius of that generation can easily be stopped if it's accelerating out of control. But, for the moment, we'll ask you to again listen to the full 911 tape and tell us what you think ? does that sound like a man faking or genuinely afraid for his life?

But regardless of what happens with the Sikes case, the bigger issue for Toyota will be every cash-strapped 'yota-owner looking for an easy out on their loans and leases potentially thinking about doing just this with their car. That's a lot of potential carnage to wade through.

http://jalopnik.com/5491101/did-bankrupt-runaway-prius-driver-fake-unintended-acceleration

500x_sikes_prius_bankrupt_1.jpg

500x_sikes_prius_email_1.jpg

Yes you are correct. My friend's hybrid Camry has the same thing. (why the fuck do I know so many people with shit cars?)

I just watched the video embedded on that page.... So had he not watched the ABC report, he wouldn't have thought to put it into neutral? :blink:

He actually sounds like he would have shifted to neutral to me- I mean he decided to drive to the dealer to ensure that there was documented proof instead of freaking out and turning it off, only to report it to his dealer later and get a "cannot replicate..." canned response.

That shows someone who can think at least a bit logically.

toyota just got owned in norway.... http://www.vg.no/bil-og-motor/artikkel.php?artid=591653
front page of news papers... first thing i heard on the news today... lul

Can you give us a quick synopsis in English? I'm curious what the article says.

Also, for those expecting a quick recovery for Toyota, don't forget that we have yet to hear from the US Grand Jury. Criminal charges may yet be forthcoming.

Can you give us a quick synopsis in English? I'm curious what the article says.
I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered with a word-for-word translation, so here's a quick snippet:
It's about a 2009 Toyota Prius with an automatic transmission.

Throttle jammed wide open and the car accelerated up to 176 km/h. The 49 years old driver/owner tried to stomp on the brakes, didn't help, so he carefully drove it into the armco barrier alongside the road to slow the car down, as he managed to slow down to about 100 km/h he called the cops and informed them about what had happened as well as his location.

the owner of the car was, according to his son, a Toyota-fan and not available for comment. Toyota in Norway is taking this seriously and is sending their experts as well as someone from Toyota-Europe to investigate the car.

1268343766182_951.jpg

Thanks for the translation, have +1 Interwebz.

A Prius going a 100mph? That is life-threatening. :lol:

I think the reason why the US has had some many more SUA claims and attributed fatalities is two fold:
1) We buy more Toyotas than anyone, therefore have more SUA occurrences.
2) We've got a lot of idiot drivers here. More (I hope) per capita than anywhere else.

Good evidence of that is a comparison of the runaway Prius in Norway and the one in California. The Norwegian put his car against the guardrail to slow it down. The Californian shit his pants and had to have a cop use his car to stop the Prius. It makes us look like a bunch of morons.

Last edited: