2010 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

While the McLaren was checked by the FIA (when they got a green light for the rear wing) they got a little marker about a hole close to the starter motor. It was only a small issue I believe. I think this is the same thing.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, sector 2 is mostly dependent on mechanical grip, so you can kinda see where each time have spent their time developing this year.

<Vettel Turn 19 Gear 1>

I noticed that as well. As far as I know, I didn't see any other drivers downshift to 1. But I think after the engineers review the qualifying, everyone will. He's a brilliant driver, he is.

lol I fell asleep watching the live coverage last night.

Had to download it from RU and re-watch it this morning.

Could it also be that shifting into first would give him a little more engine braking thus allowing him to brake later?

That is touching on one of the great complications of aerodynamics. Good brake balance at high speed or low speed?

It's hard to say. I think that because he was able to rotate the car just right by going to 1st, his brake balance was set up to be optimal with downforce aid. That also indicates that the downforce aid is front biased, giving the fronts more grip and allowing more front brake bias.

So yep, I think that was part of it. Also remember that by getting the right angle, the cornering speed increases, so we don't have to brake as much. If the car didn't have that 1st gear and he was trying to brake at his normal point without the aid of the rotation and fighting understeer, I don't think he'd hit the apex and it would be a messy corner.

Last edited:
I'm going to watch this live, my body is going to hate me for waking up that early but whatever.

it's on at 10pm for me. A perfect pre-sleep event :tease:

Apparently, if the tires you qualify on for the top 10 are damaged somehow, the teams may ask for special dispensation to change the set of tires for the start of the race. Renault asked for this dispensation from the FIA for Kubica's car due to flat-spotted fronts and it was accepted.

So acceptable "damage" would be one of two things: a bad flatspot, or a deflation/puncture.

Sector 2 is so slow that you rely on mechanical grip for the most, no? I think the McLaren has lost the strength it always had before - mechanical grip, in the exchanged for a lot more aero downforce.

Not exactly. Pace there isn't that downforce dependent like for example fast corners in Sepang or whatever, but still it is very important. Even when they're going 100 km/h (which is very slow in f1 car) there is quite significant downforce. So if Whitmarsh and Hamilton said the problem is in lack of downforce you can belive them.

Apparently, if the tires you qualify on for the top 10 are damaged somehow, the teams may ask for special dispensation to change the set of tires for the start of the race.

so lock your brakes up on purpose after claiming provisional pole. :p

Yup...well we all did sleep through the V8's didn't we? :p
I have no interest in that V8 thing. Pretty annoying on Thursday and Friday, taking up all that public transport routes.

Lol, I'm watching it, then going to the hospital :lol:
Why are you going to the hospital? And why not just go to the hospital to watch it? Get a Class 1A room, then spank the nurse and request for StarSports.

The FIA decide which tyres you can change to so they may make you use an old set you used in Free Practice or earlier in qualifying if they think you did it on purpose.

That's why this rule is stupid.

Ironic is that the best strategy for Sutil in Q3 was not making a single lap. He would be 10th as he is now and he would have some fresh rubber.

I think the rules have so many loopholes it's looking like swiss cheese. They've tried to be smarmy and added this 'competitive' rule and that 'tactical' option but all it's done is made things very artificial. If the teams have to stick to those tires, then make *everyone* stay to those tires. Or just let them change it.

I think the rules have so many loopholes it's looking like swiss cheese. They've tried to be smarmy and added this 'competitive' rule and that 'tactical' option but all it's done is made things very artificial. If the teams have to stick to those tires, then make *everyone* stay to those tires. Or just let them change it.

Can't really argue with that. It would be so much simpler if they just had a qualifying and then let the teams do what they want with the cars until the race starts. That way we would also have proper flat-out qualifying without race strategy having a role in the outcome.

8 minutes till race, I'm so FFFFing excited, hope it doesn't suck.

Sweeeeeeeeet Fernando!

Last edited: