The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

"Born down in a dead man's town, the first kick I took was when I hit the ground..tum de tum dun de dun...."

End up like a dog that's been beat too much
'till you spend half your life just to cover it up.

The Huey is the DC-3 of helicopters. I swear when the last Blackhawk goes to the boneyard there will be a Huey crew there to give the pilots a lift home.

[youtube]ug4crCJI1JI[/youtube]

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there are Ekranoplans in here already... but there can always be more:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

69.jpg

71.jpg

79.jpg

76.jpg

68.jpg

49.jpg

54.jpg

87.jpg

http://englishrussia.com/?p=11522

Reactions: MWF
Whatever happened to Boeing's pelican ground-effect heavy transport?

Boeing_Pelican.jpg

lCDiz.jpg

I'm not sure what war this is, but is that Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son that I'm hearing in the background?

^Probably Vietnam. Korean War Skyraiders tended to be Marine Corps or Navy, and blue.

Probably Korea... because that's not a jet and I see no jungle.

Labcoatguy wins!

U.S. jets drop napalm on Vietcong positions in 1962. "Napalm is the most terrible pain you can imagine," napalm survivor Kim Phuc said.

It is odd that they say "jets" when that clearly isn't a jet...

Just figured out what it is. T-28 Trojan, single seater obviously, the two seater almost looks like a different plane. Pfft, I forgot, but then remembered, that trainers sometimes get used as low speed ground attack planes.

edit: And it's a VNAF plane, not a USAF, I was looking for USAF aircraft. Silly Vietnamese, using a roundel that looks almost identical to the American roundel.

Last edited:
kiwihovercraft.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ih_KBru6Co[/YOUTUBE]

Kiwi ingenunity.

Last edited:
I imagine manuvering it near the ground would've been very cumbersome.

Probably Korea... because that's not a jet and I see no jungle.

FYI: We used Skyraiders in Vietnam as close support aircraft. As the Skyraiders were damaged and shot down we transitioned to the Dragonfly which was much easier for jet-era pilots to fly (they didn't have to re-train on pistons).

Yeah, I knew there was some prop planes used in Vietnam (heh, Dogfights, watching somewhat low budget CG (hey, they have limited time and personnel, I'm not knocking them) and old guys telling their war stories) but as I said that's even not an American plane so :p

It's an American built plane, just not with American markings. As you know, the political situation over there was, shall we say, "interesting." The US has been known to operate aircraft under the markings of other nations. Case in point: The Flying Tigers.

Dammit, I'm suffering from aviation withdrawal syndrome.......

Must. Get. To. Airport. Argh..........