Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

In this case Lolvo > Audi

you get a WHOLE lot more car for roughly the same monies
also, it won't die, ever, and you can't say the same for the Audi

850s (the S70 was an 850) were not all that reliable. The engine is sturdy, but the rest isn't remarkable.

I owned an 850 Turbo.

public, you happen to like automatics or was it only coincidence that both of the cars are automatics? :p

850s (the S70 was an 850) were not all that reliable. The engine is sturdy, but the rest isn't remarkable.

I owned an 850 Turbo.

I know you had transmission problems with your, but what else was wrong with it?

The Toyota sourced Aisin Werner transmission in the 850/S70 isn't the best component ever made. If you don't take care of it - it will die. It's one of the main causes for Volvo deaths in the US.

public, the engine is 170hp...at 6200rpm. There are ways to get the power lower in the range if you fiddle with the cams.
The gears are loooong. For a cruiser - it is excellent. Just don't expect blistering acceleration.

If you are seriously considering it - check the color of the transmission fluid. While idling, move the shifter R-N-D and vice versa 15-20 times and listen if any clunking occurs.
You should also check for leaks from the main seal (between the engine and the transmission).
Also check the PCV system - put some gloves on, and with the engine running (while the dealer is not looking) pull the dipstick and watch for smoke. Next, open the oil cap (with the engine running). A few drops of oil will get out due to the movement of the cams, but if the oil starts going out like a fountain...you have a clogged PCV system.

Transmission needed to be rebuilt (I did take care of it properly). The cheap plastic screws holding the interior together were failing, the rest of the interior squeaked, and the electrics behaved strangely (I would have warning lights fade in and out for no apparent reason).

That's off the top of my head.

Today i saw the weirdest gearbox ever. It was in a bus that originally had a Automatic but since has been converted to manual for reasons i can't quite grasp. Still the weirdest thing is that it keeps automatic-like behaviors. For instance, slowly moving forward in a place i know uphill (3rd year Med student and his Kia can attest to that), not rolling back on steep hills and the like.

On other note, Clogged fuel filters FTL.

500x_mazda-mx-5-black-and-matte-01.jpg

500x_mazda-mx-5-black-and-matte-02.jpg

What does kill bill have to do with a special edition Miata?

The funny thing is, even in matte black, the Miata still looks cute.

Transmission needed to be rebuilt (I did take care of it properly). The cheap plastic screws holding the interior together were failing, the rest of the interior squeaked, and the electrics behaved strangely (I would have warning lights fade in and out for no apparent reason).

That's off the top of my head.

That must have been just bad luck. Apart from the transmission, none of the other stuff is common on the 850. Very few people have complained on the volvo forums about bad build quality or bad electrics. In fact, the electrics is probably the strongest thing in the car.

Today i saw the weirdest gearbox ever. It was in a bus that originally had a Automatic but since has been converted to manual for reasons i can't quite grasp. Still the weirdest thing is that it keeps automatic-like behaviors. For instance, slowly moving forward in a place i know uphill (3rd year Med student and his Kia can attest to that), not rolling back on steep hills and the like.

Probably not a REAL manual. Sounds a lot more like a manual gear selector for an automatic. Alternatively, a poorly adjusted clutch on a really torquey motor - if the clutch is still partially engaged and the engine is too torquey to get dragged down, it'll creep forward and not backroll.

Also, that's an interesting reversal - I've driven a number of trucks that once had manuals and were "converted" to "automatics" (really an automated manual) so "noobs" could drive them.

But did you experience the "firm, Germanic suspension?" Did it really "drive like a VW?" XD

In all seriousness, I'll agree that the third gen vans were the best. My parents had a 96 Grand Voyager SE that was very nice. We had several good memories in that van. :)

I do think the Routan's interior is the best out of the current gen Chrysler vans though.

I'll second that! :D

My '96 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE has just about 300k kms and is still running strong.

My parent's bought it in 1999 and since then we made many long family trips like to Ottawa, Montreal, Detroit, Boston, and Florida.

Florida was particularly memorable because we were at Daytona Beach (you can drive your car on it) and my parents left for a walk. My brother decided to go for a little drive on the beach and got stuck withing minutes. :lol:

Then some guys came and helped to get it unstuck (some guy even hooked up a chain to the chassis from his pickup to help get the front wheels out of the hole.

I remember I was in the car controlling the pedals and steering and my brother + 3 other guys were pushing it from the front, while the guy with the pickup was pulling with the chain with his truck from the back.

One of the guys at the front said "Alright, let's get this baby outta here." It took a few tries, but we did it and the whole pool audience in front of us and people around us watching started cheering. :D

We got it back to its original parking spot before my parents came back from their walk, but had to explain the massive amounts of sand on the tires... :lol:

Good times, good times (this was 2003; I was 14, and my brother was 16). :D

This car, as my first, and with some good memories, will always have a special place in my heart. :wub:

The thing that bothers be most about the 4th-gen (I drive a 2001 Grand Caravan regularly) is that it feels like a SUV to drive (haven't driven the newer ones, but they're probably even worse), while my '96 3rd-gen feels more like a car.

Last edited:
500x_mazda-mx-5-black-and-matte-01.jpg

What does kill bill have to do with a special edition Miata?

Seriously? Swords? What is this, a 15-year old weaboo's DeviantArt tribute to how much he wishes he was Japanese instead?

Also, she looks like a dude dressed up like a Soul Calibur character. So, like I said...

Saw a cadillac CTS today on the way home, in RHD...

Which they don't sell and said they don't intend on selling here.

Vehicle Registration: XFS039
VIN/Chassis Number: 1G6DR57V990105111
Engine Number: 090105111LLT
Vehicle Make: CADILLAC
Vehicle Colour: BLACK
Body Type: SED
Year of Manufacture: 2008
Registration Status: CURRENT UNTIL 14/08/2010
Written-Off Status: NOT-WRITTEN-OFF
Encumbrance Status: NO-ENCUMBRANCE
Stolen Status: NOT-STOLEN