New Jersey drivers under 21 required to affix red sticker to cars

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
New Jersey will soon be the first state to alert police when a young driver is behind the wheel under ''Kyleigh's Law.''

The Motor Vehicles Commission this afternoon is unveiling red decals that motorists younger than 21 must display on their license plates.

"Kyleigh's Law'' was named in memory of Kyleigh D'Alessio, a 16-year-old West Morris Central High School student killed in a 2006 crash in Washington Township in which another teen was driving. Her mother, Donna Weeks, lobbied on behalf of her daughter for the law.

Attorney General Paula Dow and MVC officials will announce the implementation of the law and unveil the stickers at an MVC office in Freehold on Wednesday.

The reflective red stickers will help police identify drivers in order to enforce restrictions on passenger limits and 11 p.m. curfews.

The stickers, which take effect May 1, are removable and will cost $4.

Earlier this month, the law was challenged unsuccessfully by a Rockaway attorney.

Gregg Trautmann, who filed the suit on behalf of his teenage son and nephew, charged the statute would deprive young motorists of equal protection under the law and perhaps make them a target of predators.

But the suit was dismissed by Superior Court Judge Robert Brennan, who ruled there was nothing unconstitutional in requiring holders of a Graduated Driver License ? primarily teenagers ? to affix a decal to their front and rear license plates.

Brennan said driving is not a right but a privilege that should be subjected to state regulations, and declined to delay the law from taking effect on May 1.

Trautmann is appealing the ruling.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/03/25/nj-yah-87f-630op2.jpg

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/arti...als+for+teenage+drivers+under++Kyleigh+s+Law+

I have 2 comments about this. Well, actually two questions.

1. It states that this sticker is required for drivers who are under 21. What is the benefit of making the age so high? Most states JOL restrictions are until the age of 18. For instance, in Massachusetts, I was not allowed to drive other people or drive 12am-5am while until I was 18. If I can buy a gun, and get married, but can't drink at 20 years old, for god's sake let me drive my car.

2. The girl's mother lobbied for this law. Excuse me for being inconsiderate, but what good will a little red sticker do? What if some brat 17 year old is showing off his new BMW M3 to his girlfriend at 9pm? Will the little red sticker magically repel other cars when he looses control? Or what if a 20 year old gets drunk and makes the poor choice of driving his car at midnight? Will the little red sticker magically repel trees and light poles? Cops are supposed to pull over all erratic drivers whether they have a red sticker or not. And if a cop isn't in the area, it doesn't matter if the car has 42 red stickers plastered all over it. I understand that other countries such as the UK have the mandatory 'L' plate, granted I don't know how that particular system works, but I honestly don't see any benefit in this new Kyleigh's Law.

Also, an 11pm curfew for 20 year olds? Pardon my french, but that's fucking ridiculous.

Edit: Maybe I'm being biased because I, myself am 20 years old. But my parents have given me the trust to make the correct decisions for as long as I can remember. I mean, during my college Spring Break, I hang out in Boston (40 miles one-way from my house) way into the early hours of the morning. My parents know that if I make decisions that will impair my judgment, or if I get tired, I'm not going to drive home. Maybe other teens aren't like that. Still 11pm is a bit early isn't it?
Also, right now I'm at college, 600 miles away from home. I'm not 21, yet I (and the 4000 other kids on campus - and countless kids all across the country) am trusted to live on my own? But if I were in NJ, I'd have a 11pm curfew? Really?

Edit2: I apologize for the rant. I had to pull an all-nighter to finish up some work, and I'm currently wired on caffeine. I get agitated easily in this state. But I can assure you I won't be doing any driving today.

Last edited:
A note to non-Americans. This is New Jersey we're talking about - which is commonly described as the asshole of America. You are not allowed to pump your own gasoline in that state. I know a lot of people born in New Jersey - all of whom left at some point or another and REFUSE to reenter the state. Also, it's the only state in the union where in order to leave the state, you MUST pay a toll. EVERY road and bridge leading out of the state is a toll road or bridge. There is no escaping it. Oddly enough none of the roads IN have tolls. That's how economically valuable leaving the fucking state is - they can charge you for it and you WILL pay it just to get out. To truly understand the state, please watch MTV's The Jersey Shore.

Its only redeeming quality is having a few White Castles that are closer to here than the ones in Ohio.

Last edited:
I see the same problem we have with our "Umweltplakette" .. some 'environment sticker' you have to stick on your windshield to be allowed to drive through the city center of a couple of cities. One day my car was broken and I had to go to Frankfurt... I wanted to take my mothers car (it's the same car model and year like mine) but I couldn't go because she doesn't have the stupid sticker because you don't need it in my home area...

So what do you do if you drive others people cars? Also that New Jersey sticker doesn't look very... mh extraordinary... maybe you can just handcraft one yourself :p

But there is also a sticker rule for 'young' drivers in other countries. In France young drivers have one.

Stupid. A little sticker is too small to provide warning to other drivers (even if we had to warn people about 16-21 year olds, and I'm really not convinced that we do). It's sole real purpose is to allow cops to profile better. They'll pull over cars with red stickers for things they wouldn't pull over other cars for.

Honestly? I'd rather have big-ass stickers on cars warning of 70-year-old and older drivers. They scare me on the roads a whole lot more than college kids do.

Stupid. A little sticker is too small to provide warning to other drivers (even if we had to warn people about 16-21 year olds, and I'm really not convinced that we do). It's sole real purpose is to allow cops to profile better. They'll pull over cars with red stickers for things they wouldn't pull over other cars for.

Honestly? I'd rather have big-ass stickers on cars warning of 70-year-old and older drivers. They scare me on the roads a whole lot more than college kids do.

x2

A note to non-Americans. This is New Jersey we're talking about - which is commonly described as the asshole of America. You are not allowed to pump your own gasoline in that state. I know a lot of people born in New Jersey - all of whom left at some point or another and REFUSE to reenter the state. Also, it's the only state in the union where in order to leave the state, you MUST pay a toll. EVERY road and bridge leading out of the state is a toll road or bridge. There is no escaping it. Oddly enough none of the roads IN have tolls. That's how economically valuable leaving the fucking state is - they can charge you for it and you WILL pay it just to get out. To truly understand the state, please watch MTV's The Jersey Shore.

Its only redeeming quality is having a few White Castles that are closer to here than the ones in Ohio.

Where's that Futurama clip when you need it? The one with the suspiciously nice apartment.

To truly understand the state, please watch MTV's The Jersey Shore.
In all fairness, getting your opinion of New Jersey from The Jersey Shore is like getting your opinion of America from Fox News.

I don't like this idea, because if a car is used by other people older than the age intended for it does give police a reason to stop and search a person that otherwise they may not be able to.

Also, requiring beyond 18 is retarded.

Also, where are the senior driver stickers?

This wouldn't have prevented that death.

Here is a run down:

Kid dies.
Idiot mother campaigns to have poorly thought out idea implemented.
Ideal Implemented by dipshit politicians.
Now the mother can be satisfied because she made a difference in her mind.
Tax payers waste money to implement scheme that won't make a difference.

Last edited:
I see the same problem we have with our "Umweltplakette" .. some 'environment sticker' you have to stick on your windshield to be allowed to drive through the city center of a couple of cities. One day my car was broken and I had to go to Frankfurt... I wanted to take my mothers car (it's the same car model and year like mine) but I couldn't go because she doesn't have the stupid sticker because you don't need it in my home area...

I've just ordered a set of four plaketten to avoid that exact scenario... after going through a few umweltzones without the sticker undetected :lol: got them off stuttgart.de, can't be bothered to go somewhere and wait in line to pick them up... some clerk there must have had fun, only the final number in the four number plates differ from each other :lol:

Concerning the red sticker, wtf? Apart from being useless, just issue a sticker with every new/underage license instead of charging for it and thus creating huge overhead to sell the stickers, track the money, ... just like with our umweltplakette. You cannot buy a new regular passenger car that would not get the green plakette. Yet it is not affixed to the car as standard, or even deemed useless because make model age already determine that it is eligible to enter any umweltzone.

I've just ordered a set of four plaketten to avoid that exact scenario... after going through a few umweltzones without the sticker undetected :lol: got them off stuttgart.de, can't be bothered to go somewhere and wait in line to pick them up... some clerk there must have had fun, only the final number in the four number plates differ from each other :lol:

Concerning the red sticker, wtf? Apart from being useless, just issue a sticker with every new/underage license instead of charging for it and thus creating huge overhead to sell the stickers, track the money, ... just like with our umweltplakette. You cannot buy a new regular passenger car that would not get the green plakette. Yet it is not affixed to the car as standard, or even deemed useless because make model age already determine that it is eligible to enter any umweltzone.

As well, statistics prove that the "Enviroment Zones" do absolutely nothing. At all.

You need this narf:

DSC03719.jpg

Regarding the red sticker: Utterly useless. It does nothing at all to prevent anything.

Hmm lets see.....
1) If you don't have your own car and drive parents car - it won't have a sticker because it is registered to someone over 21 years of age.
2) In every single state that I know 18 and above is fully licensed with no restrictions so having a red sticker would do nothing because law enforcement has no authority to issue any sort of a citation to a 18-20 year old simply because they are driving past 11am or have other people in the car.
3) According to insurance people are going to crash into any object that is within their general vicinity up until they turn 25, so would make more sense for a sticker to span to 25.
4) It is widely known that male drivers in general (and especially younger ones) are more likely to crash at high speeds or cause collateral than female drivers. So then sticker should only be for male drivers...
5) I didn't have a license until I turned 22 and my own car till 24. Somehow I doubt I was any less dangerous on the road than any 18 year old at 20.... (it wouldn't be as common in NJ as it is in the NYC area but places like Jersey City really don't need a car so not that far fetched)
6) Dangerous driving is not a function of age it is a function of one's skill level/experience/mentality. Plenty of 18 year olds that I have known were very responsible drivers and wouldn't drive like asshats for the hell of it. On the other hand I know plenty of 30 year olds who will drive like complete idiots.

Reminds me of the L-plates I saw in Australia. Only this is based on age, not license type. If it were license-based it would make WAY more sense.

Like we need another reason to avoid New Jersey.

Also, they already have a system for knowing who all the bad drivers are. They all have yellow license plates.

Reminds me of the L-plates I saw in Australia. Only this is based on age, not license type. If it were license-based it would make WAY more sense.

L plates are for people 16 and over who do not have a license but are "learning" and being instructed by a fully licensed driver. For a L plate driver at 16 years, they need to hold the L plate for at least 2 years before they can go for their license (and depending on the state they need to rack up a certain number of hours).
Once they get their license, for the first 4 years (in Victoria) they need to put a P plate on their car to indicate they are probationary drivers.
There are restrictions for both L and P plate drivers.

7806390001_large.jpg

r92029_275254.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Thats similar to the UK system (and this is for the OP who doesn't understand our system). Only the P plates are not compulsory, and there is not minimum time you must be a learner, (during which you must have L plates). If you had private land to practice on etc, then in theory you can drive on UK roads with L Plates once, during your test (about 40 minutes), then be let loose with no signage to show you're a new driver.

But this red-sticker system is stupid and won't work. Stopping teenagers whose bodies are still mucking about due to hormones driving cars might help a bit.

Last edited: