2011 Mustang V8 5.0 412hp

I'm with the camp that heard about that car, and then when it drove out went "Hmm...this is it?"

Then they came out with:
2005-Ford-Shelby-GR-1-Concept-Aluminum-S-1280x960.jpg

2005_Ford_Shelby_GR1_Concept.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/2011-mustang-prices-beat-chevy-camaro/
2011 Mustang prices beat Chevy Camaro
While our drive impressions of the 2011 Mustang V6 and 2011 Mustang GT are still under a strict embargo until Monday, we can tell you one thing with certainty. That thing is pricing, and even though Ford has managed to add close to 100 horsepower to each car, the cash customers need to lay out has barely budged.

The 305-hp Mustang V6 starts at $22,995, while the 5.0-badged 412-hp Mustang GT starts at $30,495, with the V8 premium GT starting at $33,695. That's some pretty potent bang for your buck, especially as both prices include destination charges. Especially when you consider that the 304 hp V6 Camaro starts at $23,530, a difference of $535. Of course, that's for the 2010 Camaro, as Chevy has yet to release Camaro pricing for 2011.

The 2010 426 horespower Camaro SS starts at $31,795, a difference of $1,300, with no 2011 prices announced yet. Of course many people will be quick to point out that you do get more horsepower for the money (about $93 per pony according to our math). And paying more money for more power is always justified, right? Not so fast. Our friends over at Inside Line managed to (somehow) sneak the new 5.0 'Stang onto a dyno and record 395 horses at the rear wheels. Factor in about 12% parasitic drivetrain loss and you're talking in excess of 440 horsepower. Dang. Of course, we've driven the car and we can tell you with some certainty [CENSORED].

As it stands, the re-ignited pony car wars just got a whole lot more hot.

^Said dyno video.

[youtube]rf3BzvEximI[/youtube]

http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...e-dyno-tests-the-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50.html

Inside Line Dyno-Tests the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 said:
Oh boy. Friends, what we have here in the 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 is something that's sure to add a big ol' shovelful of coal under the pressure cooker that is the Camaro/Mustang rivalry.

You see, the Mustang GT's newfangled all-aluminum DOHC 5.0-liter V8...it makes some power. A lot of power, actually.

Ford claims it churns out 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. While these numbers by themselves don't better those of the Camaro SS, on paper the Mustang's leaner curb weight might be able to put them to better use. Wait a week and we'll tell you all about our driving impressions of the 2011 Mustang.

In the meantime, while other outlets busied themselves doing burnouts, we were putting Ford's claims of power and torque to the test. Yes, for you, the loyal IL reader, we dyno-tested the 2011 Mustang GT.

Hit the jump for the dyno chart, images and more video.

Wow this thing is going to DESTROY the Camaro and the Challenger will be a tiny spec in the distance.

Well, there goes the only advantage the Camaro had on the Mustang... That extra 100 hp...

Last edited:
I want one. I want one soooo hard.

I want one, and I'm a Chevy guy... and I don't really like new cars.

Dear Ford: Give me an IRS, even as a dealer-installed extra-cost option, and I will buy one.

Can't wait for Ford Aus to release this engine in the XR8. :evil: Might have another option when i buy a car next year. ;)

And once again, the call for the LS7 Camaro is sounded.

Last edited:
Dear Ford: Give me an IRS, even as a dealer-installed extra-cost option, and I will buy one.

The world would then implode.

Even if they did that...you would probably run into the same problem that you had with the GTO a few years ago. Nobody would sell you a car like this, or add the option.

Of course you could do it yourself...

Actually, Ford dealers seem to be better than the Pontiac ones. The fleet sales manager at the local Ford dealership promises that they will sell me any configuration that Ford makes available and order it if it is not in stock. So if Ford does make the option available, it looks like I won't even really have to go looking for a dealer to help. (This may be because I helped them sell a couple of F-350s - one a King Ranch - though.)

Shame there wasn't anything at Ford I wanted to buy when I was looking at the GTO.

Last edited:
I don't see them adding an IRS at this point. Maybe with the next model, this is a refresh after all.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know about those, but I want a factory (or at least a factory supported) IRS for parts availability and warranty reasons.

That said, Ford would be smart to just license the Control Freak design and use it as a Ford Racing optional part/kit.

As long as it continues to significantly out-handle the Camaro, I don't care if the rear suspension is made out of dildos.

And once again, the call for the LS7 Camaro is sounded.

From what I've seen, LS7's put down around 410whp. Even the mighty LS7 might not be enough with the weight disadvantage!

Edit: Ok looks like 440whp which would probably be enough. However, I don't think they could sell it in the same bracket as the plain jane Mustang GT. And then you have the GT500 to clean up the top model (550hp) Ford pretty much has the market cornered here as far as engines go.

Last edited:
As long as it continues to significantly out-handle the Camaro, I don't care if the rear suspension is made out of dildos.

:lol: This is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. Plus, I 100% completely agree.

From what I've seen, LS7's put down around 410whp. Even the mighty LS7 might not be enough with the weight disadvantage!

Edit: Ok looks like 440whp which would probably be enough. However, I don't think they could sell it in the same bracket as the plain jane Mustang GT. And then you have the GT500 to clean up the top model (550hp) Ford pretty much has the market cornered here as far as engines go.

Plus, the sad thing is GM can stuff 600bhp if they want under the Camaro's bonnet but it still cannot compete with the Mustang overall performance in a straight line + around corners. It might win the drag race in the 1/4 mi but around a track the GT would leave it in the dust. The ONLY way the Camaro can compete out of the factory is if it lost 300lbs. The V8 Camaro is just a heavy pig.

Last edited: