Teaser: Ford Focus RS500

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Ford Focus RS500 Announced Via Teaser Site

Ford plans to formally introduce the new 2011 Ford Focus RS500 next week on a website dedicated to the car. The company released a teaser video of the car during a practice run at a Ford test facility in Lommel, Belgium.

Little can be seen on the car, but it appears it will maintain similar front and rear lighting elements as the 2010 Focus RS, as well as a glossy rear spoiler. The 90-second video shows the car under shroud of darkness as it takes off down the 4.3-kilometer Handling Track at the Lommel Proving Ground.

The majority of the video is shot through the glass, providing a driver's point-of-view. Most impressive is not what you see, but what you hear: the car's 2.5-liter 350 bhp (261 kW / 355 PS) turbocharged engine. According to Auto Express, the engine will be tuned by Mountune, and will be in matte black with black wheels.

With the limited edition 2011 Ford Focus RS500 being unveiled online on Wednesday, it makes us wonder if Ford will show the car off at the New York Auto Show next week. If so, will they sell the special edition Stateside?
Sauce....

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAZ54yXOD0c]Teaser clip[/youtube]

Will be interesting to see of the Revoknuckle handles that.

it appears it will maintain similar front and rear lighting elements as the 2010 Focus RS

This makes no sense, considering there's a brand new model coming up in... 2011.

350 bhp and still front-wheel-drive? Crikey. Your first (and last) journey in the thing would be like so: Start engine----->breathe on the throttle----->instantly be killed to death as you torque-steer into a tree/lorry/building. Still, if they can make it work, good for them.

With the limited edition 2011 Ford Focus RS500 being unveiled online on Wednesday, it makes us wonder if Ford will show the car off at the New York Auto Show next week. If so, will they sell the special edition Stateside?

Oh please gimme gimme gimme :drool:. I love the way it sounds!

Last edited:
normally i am the first to bitch about people that get all bent out of shape when some manufacturer revives some storied model/trim level and slaps it on a car that has next to nothing in common with the original and so i will keep this civilized.

Why exactly couldn't they call it the RS350 or the RS2500 or something else There is plenty of precedence for the RS(number) naming convention describing the cc or the output. I don't see why ford has to revive one of their most famous and historic trim levels like this. Unless of course there is a 500bhp racing focus somewhere they are not talking about in which case i will eat a pile of crow but i just don't think that is going to happen

Why exactly couldn't they call it the RS350 or the RS2500 or something else There is plenty of precedence for the RS(number) naming convention describing the cc or the output. I don't see why ford has to revive one of their most famous and historic trim levels like this. Unless of course there is a 500bhp racing focus somewhere they are not talking about in which case i will eat a pile of crow but i just don't think that is going to happen
The Sierra RS500 Cosworth, had "just" 225 hp in it's standard road legal trim. It was called so, because they made just 500 of them. The RS200 had a lot more than 200 hp, actually was named so because they only made 200 road legal examples for homologation purposes. So, Ford's RS-names don't necessarily refer to the engine's cubic capacity or power utput.

Road tests of the standard Focus RS has shown that the Revo Knuckle front suspension has managed to keep the torque-steer well at bay. There have also been a lot of after market tuned Focus RS' with around 380-400 hp tested by EVO, their conclusion was that it's front wheels could handle that kind of power just fine....

The Sierra RS500 Cosworth, had "just" 225 hp in it's standard road legal trim. It was called so, because they made just 500 of them. The RS200 had a lot more than 200 hp, actually was named so because they only made 200 road legal examples for homologation purposes. So, Ford's RS-names don't necessarily refer to the engine's cubic capacity or power utput.

Road tests of the standard Focus RS has shown that the Revo Knuckle front suspension has managed to keep the torque-steer well at bay. There have also been a lot of after market tuned Focus RS' with around 380-400 hp tested by EVO, their conclusion was that it's front wheels could handle that kind of power just fine....

Yeah, but those 2 were homologation models, this is just Ford's attempt to milk the RS500 name with a car that doesn't neccessarily need that badge. I will reserve final judgement until I see the final spec & the way it looks, but for now, this will be the only RS500 for me:

rs-500-1.jpg

God it looks good.

Thankfully we have a better option in the U.S. :p

2010_Ford_Mustang_GT500--DC.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like an Audi.

And screw this, since its not like Ford Australia will ever sell theese uber-hot Focuses down under.

*Shakes fist*