2010 Qantas Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

If you release your car from the pits while a car is approaching and is less than 55 meters away from you when you release the car, the distance being indicated by a marker board, you get slapped with a drive-through for unsafe pit release.

It is actually a guideline rather than a rule however. So there is no automatic penalty for breaching it. The stewards will simply use it as a guideline when deciding if a release was safe. In many circumstances, you will be able to release a car with less than 55m quite safely.

In addition to that, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but the pitlane speed limit for the whole weekend will be 60kph, down from the usual 100kph. Safety reasons apparently, though I dont think we've ever had much of a problem and it'll only discourage two stop strategies even more. Hopefully it's just a one off occurance at Melbourne. I remember something similar back in 2000 when they dropped it to 80kph.

They do that at some tracks. Indianapolis also had 80km/h speed limit.

It is actually a guideline rather than a rule however. So there is no automatic penalty for breaching it. The stewards will simply use it as a guideline when deciding if a release was safe. In many circumstances, you will be able to release a car with less than 55m quite safely.

Are you sure? I think BBC commentators said that this is a rule. And even if it isn't and driver don't automatically get a penalty no one will take a risk.

.Are you sure? I think BBC commentators said that this is a rule. And even if it isn't and driver don't automatically get a penalty no one will take a risk.
The Force India technical director said it was only a guideline on the FP1 show. It was mostly to do with if there was a safety car and all the cars came in. It would be stupid for Mercedes, who are at the far end of the pitlane, to hold their cars whilst all the others went past.

Now do I get up at 5am tomorrow to watch quali? Umm yes. Should be a good one!

Mmm quali will be on at 4pm here :tease: :mouse:

^Same here, but meh, you can always watch it later.

Going to a friend's house tomorrow to watch the race whilst having a BBQ. Should be fun.

HRT having troubles again. Both of them pulled out of session due to problems in the gearbox for Senna, but don't know what caused Chandok to break down.

nah, over it.

unless I can get a decent feed that doesnt stutter every 10 secs

Isn't that the one that's really expensive?

Yeah it's not cheap - but I have it and it's awesome - particularly for when I'm not home and a session is on :)

OMF, vettel's provisional pole lap was hectic!

what a mega lap from Vettel. I'm totally speechless!

Well Done RBR.

1-2 in qualifying.

Wow Hamilton :(

Such a great performance by Heikki in the Lotus also setting the fastest lap of the weekend for them and .4 ahead of Trulli.