Buying a convertible (Adelaide)

Would a 1.6 or 1.8 be better? Assuming that the 1.6 doesn't have the crankshaft issue?

I would go for the MX-5. It's newer and will likely be more rigid than the Midget, giving it better handling and fewer knocks and rattles.

The MX-5 will have more stock and aftermarket parts, it's also a great track car if you ever go that route.

The only thing that is saving you from a massive neg-rep bombing is the fact that no one on this board could possibly dumb enough to post that as a serious contender.

^ but you forget this is the internet we're talking about here, people will take anything seriously if they really want to :D

The MX-5 is a beautiful driver's car. That said, so is the Midget. They are of different eras, and so your expectations of each of them have to be different. Unless of course not. They are both great cars.

ignore the first 2 pages and import yourself one some sex on wheels:

2005_Chrysler_Sebring_ext_1.jpg
hahahah! WOW! I feel the sex already! It's leaving as we speak! I don't even know what model it is, but it's quite clearly just a coupe with a roof cut off. And 4 seats is a no-no for roadsters

I would prefer to get something from Adelaide itself. Easier to inspect and more convenient. That said, that limits my choices to a sad amount :(

I'd be inclined to spread the search out to include Melbourne. You should be able to get more for your money because it's a bigger market. Sure, it might cost you a few hundred dollars to get it over the Adelaide, but you could save a couple of grand and end up with a better car.

And yes, I think the MX-5 and the MGF are the only real options for a hardcore roadster in that price range. It's a pity, because the Alfa Romeo Spider is teh secks (but not as good to drive as the GTV, which is even sexier but has a roof).

Last edited:
Ohhh I've seen some GTV6s around. They are absolutely stunning. I haven't seen any Alfa that I've consider anything less than beautiful. Sadly it's FWD. And i just think roadsters can't fit the bill.

It would really suck if I went to Melbourne only to find that the car wasn't ideal or had some hidden rust or something. Just wondering, how big is the MX-5's boot? Enough for a day's groceries?

Last edited:
Depends on how much you eat, I guess. :p
This is from a 2007 model, but the earlier generations shouldn't be too different.

Oh, that's plenty. I could even use the MX-5 as a moving vehicle ahhaha

@tone76: Your idea for getting from Melbourne works quite well. I'm seeing this nice 1998 NB Series 1. Are there any significant problems with the early NB models? Or is it completely a better car than the 1995 NA?

Last edited:
aIMG_1176.jpg

It's a different sort of approach, but fun as hell.