New headphone recommendation

BlaRo

Little Nudger
Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Saab 900 Turbo
My faithful pair of AKG portable headphones (bought freshman year, 4 years ago) finally died on me.

295272770.jpg

Requiescat in pace, K414P. :cry:

So I need a new set of relatively inexpensive, decent quality closed/full size headphones. Under $100 preferably. I'm inclined towards this pair of Audio Technicas as they've gotten pretty good reviews:

9990429705_4472.jpg

I know there's some serious audiophiles here so I want to hear from you. What's a good pair of headphones for under $100?

I plan to travel a lot, and mostly listen to rock or NPR. And I do wear glasses often.

Since you listen to rock, if you're willing to go opened:

289.jpg

Alessandro MS1. $99, and for rock you can't go wrong. The cable is pretty damn long though.

Close headphones wise, Shure's relatively new line of closed heaphones are supposed to be awesome. I haven't tried them, so I won't comment too much.

srh240-0.jpg

SRH240 - About $60IIRC.

srh440-0.jpg

SRH440 - The next step up. About $100.

The 440 would probably be a better bet, but up to you.

Last edited:
A friend's roommate is selling a pair of Audiotechnica M30s for $30. Any ideas? Evidently they're not very portable.

Audiotechnica and rock music. hmm...

Visited my friend this weekend who's an unabashed audiophile with a pair of Grado SR-80is and a bunch of in-ear headphones. I'm considering switching to one of those instead as I plan to start working out and maybe even use them for motorcycling (yes, I'm well aware of the risks).

I got to try out his Hifiman RE0s and they're a revelation. The official site is selling them for 80 bucks, and I'm leaning towards those right now.

Shure makes some REALLY nice stuff. I haven't tried out their headphones but with a pair of their earbuds in, I can't hear anything but what's in my mp3 player. For full sized headphones, I currently use a pair of Bose TriPort's. While they are great and without a doubt some of the most comfortable headphones ever, I think they're quite overpriced. Glad I got them free from my work though!

Look into some Sennheiser stuff. They're the ONLY brand of headphone/earphones that I've never had a single product die on me. Great price too! Just don't get the cheap entry level stuff that they make.

Close headphones wise, Shure's relatively new line of closed heaphones are supposed to be awesome. I haven't tried them, so I won't comment too much.

My friend's dad works for Shure and he gave him a prototype pair of the mid range Shure headphones.

VERY VERY GOOD. They are very accurate and the audio range is far below and far above the human hearing, which is great because then the rolloff is past our hearing so we hear the full 20hz-20khz spectrum. I so badly want to replace my AKG K101's for the Shure's.

I tried them with plain music and their great, but I used them mainly for reference headphones for a show I was running sound for. They sounded even better!

Visited my friend this weekend who's an unabashed audiophile with a pair of Grado SR-80is and a bunch of in-ear headphones. I'm considering switching to one of those instead as I plan to start working out and maybe even use them for motorcycling (yes, I'm well aware of the risks).

I got to try out his Hifiman RE0s and they're a revelation. The official site is selling them for 80 bucks, and I'm leaning towards those right now.

Those hifimans look quite promising. If I had money to spare, I'd try them out myself.

Edit: Also check out this thread and consider Crazyjeeper's recommendation.

Last edited: