No 56k: Ford Focus RS500 hacks out onto the Internet ahead of schedule

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
:jawdrop: Holy crap; that looks AWESOME!

Source: Ford via Autoblog

We've been waiting patiently for the digital reveal of the stonking new Ford Focus RS500, but apparently others aren't quite so cooth. According to one of our inside sources at the Blue Oval, the RS500's site was breached and the pictures have begun leaking out onto desktops in Europe. In response, Ford of Europe has announced that "Due to overwhelming interest shown for the new Ford Focus RS500, Ford has decided to release more information today." Uh-huh. Admittedly, while we can't condone the hacker's methodology, judging by these photographs we can understand their hurry, because Ford's latest limited-edition hot hatch looks to be a real corker.

Powered by a 2.5-liter five-cylinder that gives 350 PS and 460 Nm of torque (that's 345 horsepower and 339 pound-feet to us Yanks), the RS500 offers an appreciable boost over the standard ? and still bonkers ? Focus RS and its 305 horsepower and 325 lb-ft. We're assuming that like the 'base' RS that all that power gets funneled through the front wheels, which, even with Ford's trick RevoKnuckle front suspension and Quaife limited-slip differential, figures to be something of a handful. An entertaining handful, we're sure, but a handful nevertheless. Ford hasn't released full details yet, but the current RS hits 62 mph in under six seconds and blasts to 162 mph.

If you see one of these beasties on the road (you'll know them by the trail of dead their 19-inch wheels and serialized one-of-500 dashboard plaques, and at least judging by the pictures above, their matte black paint), you might want to take ask for a ride ? or at least take a picture. The entire 2011 production run will be spread out over 20 European markets, with the U.K. predictably getting the most (101 units), Germany getting 55 cars, France receiving 50, tiny Belgium punching above its weight with 50 units of its own, and trickling on down until the hatches get to the likes of Denmark, the Czech Republic, and Greece (five units each) and Ireland, which will receive just three.

If you're interested in picking one up and you live in one of the twenty EDM markets that the RS500 will be sold in, might we kindly suggest that you stop looking at your computer screen and get on the phone to your local dealer now? For everyone else, you'll want to check back on Wednesday, March 31 when Ford releases more information, along with added frippery like ringtones, video snippets and so on. Top tip, Helmut!

000-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

001-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

002-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

003-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

004-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

005-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

006-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

007-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

008-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

009-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

010-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

011-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

012-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

013-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

014-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

015-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

016-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

017-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

018-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

019-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

020-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

021-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

022-2011-focus-500rs.jpg

... wow. sawing off left leg to pay for one now..... wait... I need that for the clutch... nooooooooooooooo

A bit 'meh' in my opinion. I've no idea why though.

Mat black, doo waaaant :love:

do-want-1.jpg

Give it AWD for crying out loud! It's pretty much the perfect hatch other than the fact that it's got 350Hp going through the wrong pair of wheels.

I like it, although I really wonder if you can effectively get that last 100hp down to the ground in anything other than a straight line. At some point, no matter how sticky the tires you fit to it, there's only so much grip available.

Looks awesome, though.

Steve

A bit 'meh' in my opinion. I've no idea why though.

I agree, it looks meh because what you are looking at is just a RS painted black. With more power going to the wrong wheels.

See Chevy? This is what you have to do to justify an "RS" badge.

:lol:

Yeah, yeah...

Chevy's idea of "RS" is to simply weld up the suspension so it can't move, figuratively speaking...says the owner of a Cavalier RS.
...pot holes are really painful...

As for the Focus...FWD, no thanks!

Incredible power, but with wrong-wheel-drive. I predict some horrid torque steer in this car's future...

Really Fjord? You have a rally team running this car, that would give some clues on what to do with a special limited edition special special. AWD would have been awesome, FWD says chav. You could have even made money making an AWD hatch?! Although I guess FWD has better profits.

This feels like a scam aimed at njerds, it's like that Nurburgring Opel Astra/Vectra VRX (??) Special that the one guy from the Internets polished to a plastic mirror. Of course, Fjord has been smart and made this matte black and hence unpolishable. Beat that you obsessive neat freak, all you are left now is your brushes and dirty wheels and misaligned air vents.

Well I for one love it. I like the look, very sinister.
Sure it is FWD but I think I'd rather wait for some reviews to come out before giving an opinion on the drive ability (have no other choice, Ford OZ have their head up their asses).

Sure it is FWD but I think I'd rather wait for some reviews to come out before giving an opinion on the drive ability (have no other choice, Ford OZ have their head up their asses).
The standard one with 300 hp going through the front wheels has got rave reviews, but people here tend to overlook that and go all "hurr, hurr, fvd no, no, torque-steer, under-steer, durr durr ... etc..."