Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Don?t know if this is old or not ... but I just saw this and thought it was really great, considering it?s all been done with an iPhone ...

A year in iPhoneography
http://www.blurb.com/books/1230442

I guess the best camera in the world truly is the one that you have at a given moment ...

Is mirror lockup on? Take the lens off and see if the mirror is down. If it is, check if some idiot has removed the focusing screen, if someone has done that, you'll see nothing.

Don?t know if this is old or not ... but I just saw this and thought it was really great, considering it?s all been done with an iPhone ...

A year in iPhoneography
http://www.blurb.com/books/1230442

I guess the best camera in the world truly is the one that you have at a given moment ...
Looks like a lot of hipster ive-got-a-phone-imma-photogafer-too crap to me.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of hipster ive-got-a-phone-imma-photogafer-too crap to me.

Sounds like a lot of snobbist I've-got-a-dslr-and-anything-else-is-not-photography-kind-off-douch? to me. :)

there are some good ones, then theres some not so good ones.

Sounds like a lot of snobbist I've-got-a-dslr-and-anything-else-is-not-photography-kind-off-douch? to me.
No, I looked through that whole thing. There are a few good ones on there, but they're mostly over-processed, over-vignetted, meaningless snapshots.

No, I looked through that whole thing. There are a few good ones on there, but they're mostly over-processed, over-vignetted, meaningless snapshots.

True, but how does it matter they were taken with a stupid phone?

There are some really great shots there, some not too hot ones too but for the most part I'm very impressed. It's very hard to see what the quality is like from such small preview but it looks good too. It doesn't mean I want an iphone of course but it just goes to show the kind of things you can capture when you always have a camera with you.

True, but how does it matter they were taken with a stupid phone?
It doesn't. What I'm saying is that the paradigm seems to have shifted somewhat from owning expensive gear to take boring, cliche nature and model photos to owning a camera phone and taking meaningless crap snapshots. The problem with the latter is everyone can afford it and now everyone is "hurrr hurrr imma iphoneogafer derp derp".

FWIW, It bothers me just as much when I see people using the popup flash on their gripped Rebels with kit lenses.

Last edited:
People holding their dSLR's like it were a parsel with a bomb in it isn't all that nice either.

I always consider the actual photograph first, my gear second... so, what's your point?

My D40 is full of grit around the nooks, the viewfinder is an ugly mess and the thumb grip is completely smoothed out.

Last edited:
People holding their dSLR's like it were a parsel with a bomb in it isn't all that nice either.

I do the opposite, I can tell you now I would prefer to do that when it comes to the resale value of my equipment :p.

Also, another thought I had was that it would be really nice if camera manufacturers could start playing around with different white balance settings. At the moment there are options to make sure everything in neutral but sometimes it's nice to have the opposite. Velvia for instance wasn't popular for being neutral but people still shoot it to get ludicrously saturated colours. I'm not saying there should be a specific setting such as one mimicking Velvia but it would be pretty cool to have something like a neutral or vivid colour white balance or profile setting thingymabob. I don't wish to start a post processing debate, I'm just wondering if anyone has thought similarly.

Last edited:
It doesn't. What I'm saying is that the paradigm seems to have shifted somewhat from owning expensive gear to take boring, cliche nature and model photos to owning a camera phone and taking meaningless crap snapshots. The problem with the latter is everyone can afford it and now everyone is "hurrr hurrr imma iphoneogafer derp derp".

FWIW, It bothers me just as much when I see people using the popup flash on their gripped Rebels with kit lenses.

What are you afraid of? Stop giving a fuck says the guy on Youtube. How are these people worse than the other anyway?

Someone made a book and if it sells they are going to be bazillioneirs. Fine if it doesn't, but you can't blame them for trying. I agree that the best camera would be the one you can carry with you all the time, too bad they are all rubbish. I feel that people stare if I walk around with my camera, especially if I'm with my rubbish 70-300 Sigma with hood because apparently it looks so pro with my tiny D60.

Even though my camera is cheap I've still paid a lot of money for it. Value is always relative, and considering it's a hobby and hasn't got me any money back I think it's not worth risking too much when I can't afford to replace it. Although bomb is an overstatement. I'm sure I've pushed it over the recommended minimum operating temperature for a bit.

Or maybe I don't even know what do you mean, how do you handle a bomb anyway? I was trained to not to touch and blow them up with smaller bombs.

I agree that the best camera would be the one you can carry with you all the time
So do I. I carry my camera bag (body, lenses, flash, filters) with me pretty well everywhere. Sure, it's heavier than a camera-phone, but I love photography enough so that I'm willing to bear the weight for it.

This whole "the best camera is the one phone you have with you" thing largely seems like an excuse for laziness and lack of dedication.

Last edited:
So do I. I carry my camera bag (body, lenses, flash, filters) with me pretty well everywhere. Sure, it's heavier than a camera-phone, but I love photography enough so that I'm willing to bear the weight for it.

This whole "the best camera is the one camera-phone you have with you" thing largely seems like an excuse for laziness and lack of dedication.

Well I do actually carry my bag when I leave further than school or the shops which both are within walking radius. Even that might change now when the weather turns nicer than gray and dark slush. :D

Should get a smaller carrier thing that would just fit the camera, it would be much easier to take it everywhere! And that 35 mm prime..

I always consider the actual photograph first, my gear second... so, what's your point?
That there's a way of holding a dSLR, a way that's more stable providing you with a sharper result. It's the photograph that results that's important, and tbh., in bright sunlight you've got the shutter speed to get a sharp image even without proper hand holding technique, but in dimmer light, you can gain a couple of stops by holding your camera properly. Same goes for compacts, even if you have to hold them differently, and there's a right and a wrong way of holding a camcorder as well. Video is more about smoothness than anything else, and clearly, you won't get as smooth a result with one hand as you would with two hands resting on your chest.

That's my point. I was refering to people holding their cameras like they are afraid of them, without a thought about stability.

I think I get what you're saying. Like when you go to a park or a zoo or somewhere where everyone has cameras out, the default method is: lightly grip the camera, arms fully extended, head back.