The "New Toys" Thread

Blayde's video has no artifacts for me, I guess it was youtubes slow processing, mine looked like crap too until they processed it 5h later.

What's the point, your headphones arent really getting hi def out the audio port...

you don't need "hi-def" audio for flac (care to define what you mean?). Lossless cd quality is a good place to start (44.1kHz 16-bit). iPods and iPhones can handle 48kHz 24-bit (such as the beatles USB)

Then buy a device that can play FLAC and don't go bitching about an iPod being unable to play them.

You can easily convert flac to alac (apple lossless) with dbPoweramp or foobar on the pc, or max or xld on mac.

Uploaded to seedbox, logged into seedbox, logged into YT, uploaded to YT, profit

Yeah, no artifacts here. There is some CMOS wobble visible, though, but that's nothing to complain about.

Yeah, the artifacting is gone now. YouTube just needed time to render out higher quality versions rather than the initially crappy quality one.

Well, the thing is:

a) I have a long connection: 1,5 meters from the player to the AV receiver and 6 meters from the AV receiver to the TV (with the projector it's even 8 meters). A long way, when a cable is not sufficiently shielded.

b) All digital connections are sensitive to interruptions, if the cable is cheap. For example when I connect my CD player to the amp with a cheap digital cable, I have dropouts when I switch the light in the room on and off or when my neighbour starts working in his cellar, which he converted into a workshop :rolleyes:
With an analog connection or a more expensive digital cable (or an optical one) that simply doesn't happen. It may be a digital signal but that doesn't mean it's immune against the laws of physics. Ask Siemens about the problems with digital connections. They had to rewire a whole terminal of the new Munich airport, because somewhere a digital cable was bent too much. I talked to a guy from Novell once, who worked on that project, and he said they simply had to replace cable after cable, because they couldn't find the problem otherwise.

c) More expensive cables usually have better plugs. They fit better and wobble less in their sockets, which is a problem especially with HDMI, because the connection is very fragile, compared to an RCA plug or a DVI connection, and the cheap HDMI cables wobble around a lot -- one false move and they're out of their sockets. You can set a stopwatch and wait, until they start making problems.

d) I spent 113 Euros on my HDMI cable. Maybe not necessary but better make sure. You could put a wardrobe on it and wouldn't damage it.

e) If there isn't a difference in the speed of HDMI connections, why is there an option in my BD-player to switch from low speed to high speed HDMI and why is the picture less shaky, when I use the high speed connection?

Some reading for you good sir:

TheRipHDMI3.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/04/01/sku_2332_1.jpg

for the key cam, gonna shave the camera mount screw off, apply permanent velcro to the bottom of cam and top of tripod, ????, and instant detachable mounting. \o/

The legs are 6.5" straight and it only cost 4.15$ shipped, cheap DIY jobs ftw

/geek

Some reading for you good sir:

TheRipHDMI3.jpg
Apart from that the HDMI standard is stupid logically as well as mechanically, cables can make a difference. For some reason, people think that the old analogue world is flawed, while the new digital world is somehow flawless. It isn't. Digital doesn't mean impeccable. A digital signal can be disturbed by the cable just like an analogue signal, only the resulting errors will be different.

Apart from that the HDMI standard is stupid logically as well as mechanically, cables can make a difference. For some reason, people think that the old analogue world is flawed, while the new digital world is somehow flawless. It isn't. Digital doesn't mean impeccable. A digital signal can be disturbed by the cable just like an analogue signal, only the resulting errors will be different.

???

Anyway, I get all my cables from Monoprice. Fantastic site. Never had an issue.

lg_bd370_japan_020609.jpg

Wanted to get a DVD player, but noticed how much cheaper BR players suddenly have become, so I went for one instead.

playstation-3-slim-120gb-ps3-4980795.jpg

god_of_war3_boxart_face.jpg

183508-final-fantasy-xiii-ps3_original.jpg

modern-warfare-2-standard-ps3-cover.jpg

gran-turismo-5-prologue.jpg

+ $100 of weed

gonna be a very, VERY happy weekend for me : )

And Finalgear never saw Madcow again.

Digital doesn't mean impeccable. A digital signal can be disturbed by the cable just like an analogue signal, only the resulting errors will be different.

Of course it can, but unlike analog, there's error correction built in.

A package finally arrived from America today!

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2010/04/02/007.JPG

:cool: Logitech MX1100. So far I absolutely love everything about it! Now I'm cruising around like an internet wizard. My old Logitech trackball sucks in comparison. Where has this thing been all my life?

A package finally arrived from America today!

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2010/04/02/007.JPG

:cool: Logitech MX1100. So far I absolutely love everything about it! Now I'm cruising around like an internet wizard. My old Logitech trackball sucks in comparison. Where has this thing been all my life?

great choice, congrats : )

Both the MX1000 and MX1100 have been consistently accurate and easy to use, I dunno how I'm gonna live without a premium logitech mouse.

And Finalgear never saw Madcow again.

lol, I'm still getting used to the whole analogue joystick thing. Really complicated, it's like a badly designed mouse, without the option of adjusting the sensitivity : p

^ I love the mouse as well, but I'm on my 2nd one, and subjectivley, the wheel is starting to act up a bit again...

27-inch-iMac.png

Finally got around to ordering my new iMac; 27", 2.8GHz Quad-core i7, 8GB RAM, 512MB ATi Radeon 4850 HD and Applecare. Also picked up a copy of Snow Leopard to spruce my up MBP for an upcoming reformat and fresh install of pretty much everything !

27-inch-iMac.png

Finally got around to ordering my new iMac; 27", 2.8GHz Quad-core i7, 8GB RAM, 512MB ATi Radeon 4850 HD and Applecare. Also picked up a copy of Snow Leopard to spruce my up MBP for an upcoming reformat and fresh install of pretty much everything !

With the 1000% Apple markup, how much did that cost you? $15000? :lol:

(I want a 27" monitor :( )