Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That's pretty reasonable for three units. The Woodlands seems to be lacking in good (and decently priced) storage space like that, so I guess I'll have to extend my search out to Conroe and beyond.

I would avoid looking at facilities in residential areas, they're more expensive. This one is in a light industrial park behind some auto repair, printing, roofing and glass shops, you know the kind of thing. By going to a place that's zoned for light industrial, you avoid a lot of problems and generally get a lower rate.

Let me translate that for you.

FTFY. :mrgreen:

Win. So much Win.

On a separate note:

You can't always get what you want. President Barack Obama said today that he originally wanted his presidential limo to boast a hybrid drivetrain. So what keeps the ruler of the free world from getting what he asks for? In this case, it was the Secret Service. Obama's body guards said that a hybrid engine couldn't produce the kind of power necessary to scoot the massive Cadillac down the road in an emergency situation. That's saying something, considering the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid boasts a V8 with enough power to have a 7,700-pound towing capacity. Part of us thinks it might also be a security concern to have a vehicle that may be more susceptible to electronic interference from nefarious sources, but that's just a guess.

No one's exactly sure what the Commander-in-Chief's car has under the hood, but it's a good bet that it has eight cylinders and enough torque to move a mountain of armor plating. We hear it's a diesel and we're guessing it probably nets fuel economy on par with most RVs.

Obama's pining for a hybrid limo came to light during a speech about the government's recent purchase of 5,000 of hybrid cars and trucks for federal use. No word on whether or not the executive branch got the General Motors employee discount.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/07/1_000.jpg

Last edited:
What's the culture like in Canada regarding flashing lights? In America people tend to treat it as if you'd kicked in a puppy's head, so rarely anybody does it here. They just prefer to ride your ass for as long as it takes.

I've been tailgated but I've never had someone flash their lights at me in aggression, only as in indication that they are letting me out of a turn or something.

Well, I've seen it done many times before, so, I don't think it's taken as seriously here as it is in the States. When my dad and I drove to New York recently, every time we were in the fast lane behind a slower driver, they always moved over without us having to slow down.

Edit: I was finally able to add the third bay/unit to my little shop. We're cutting the door/holes in the wall through to the other unit tomorrow - but guess what has taken up residence in there in the meantime?
:evil:

You know, you're quickly approaching the point where renting a disused ancient-ass warehouse is becoming an affordable option. I've done 6000sqft for $500/mo before (It wasn't ORIGINALLY a warehouse - it was a 1930's car dealership turned warehouse).... On the same block as the best bar in town, so FREE LEGAL INDOOR PARKING BITCHES.

In older parts of older cities, at least here in the midatlantic and new england, storefronts tend to back onto warehouse space which they don't use - and since they almost always lack proper loading docks (they usually have level drive-through doors) no serious industry wants to touch them - so they're CHEAP AS HELL.

Last edited:
I was behind a salmon Grand Marquis earlier... wow that was a hideous color on an ugly car.

Bloody hell, he has bought a XK

I don't see him buying another one... unless he went ahead and bought that XKE.

Nah, he had a dude import that XJ220 from the middle east...come on its Spectre he knows what he is doing

In older parts of older cities, at least here in the midatlantic and new england, storefronts tend to back onto warehouse space which they don't use - and since they almost always lack proper loading docks (they usually have level drive-through doors) no serious industry wants to touch them - so they're CHEAP AS HELL.

It's a lot easier to get a permit to demolish and rebuild here, so such things are unusual. Plus I already live in an older part of town that is one of the few that still has such places. Unfortunately, many other people have the same idea so competition for spaces is steep and prices are higher. This is the cheapest place within several miles and it's only a couple of blocks from my home.

Bloody hell, he has bought a XK

Nope. Almost did buy one for/with my mom this week, though.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1661532232.html

jag+001.JPG

Chevy+007.JPG

Unfortunately, it turns out to be a flood car with a salvage title, so I ran way the hell away from it.

I don't see him buying another one... unless he went ahead and bought that XKE.

Nope. Mostly I was just mentioning that I've finally been able to move my XJR back inside and under cover.

CrazyJeeper and I cut a door through the wall (with landlord permission) to connect the new unit to the old pair tonight. Some additional pictures:

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1773_001.jpg

After some thought, I rearranged the vehicle population; the XJR is up soon in the project rotation and the Series III isn't going anywhere for a while.

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Nah, he had a dude import that XJ220 from the middle east...come on its Spectre he knows what he is doing

I seriously thought about that; even called to price out a mercenary troop. Problem is, I still can't import it properly until 2015/6.

Last edited:
The bazooka rack is decidedly empty :grin:

Am i crazy for looking at a 1991 VW golf 1.6 non turbo diesel?

for 3000 bucks in perfect shape?

I seriously thought about that; even called to price out a mercenary troop. Problem is, I still can't import it properly until 2015/6.

You know I have a garage I'm not using...... you could store it here till you can bring it over stateside ......:whistle:

Yes. Three grand is way too much.

yes!

you'll be faster walking than with using that slow thing they call an engine
and 3000$ is waaaay overprized (over here at least)

srsly

Where I live, you pay a 200% premium on anything that isn't american. ( roughly, and I'm talking second hand obviously)
so I have to stretch it out a bit, but yeah 3K for 52 hp isn't sounding too good right now. I'm just looking for something interesting and good on gas. ( thunderbird falling apart/gave up on american cars altogether)

for every 300 sunfires and saturn SL1's I might see two corollas and three civic's. Thats how bad it is. and they're not even interesting cars... I'm going crazy car shopping.

What about a Mustang?

Nope. Almost did buy one for/with my mom this week, though.

If/when she does get one make sure she doesn't allow your dad to drive it. :p

Last edited:
the XJR is up soon in the project rotation and the Series III isn't going anywhere for a while.

I never understood this about you...after all the time and energy spent on the Series III, why isn't it your daily driver? This car is just meant to be driven :)