The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

The original XB-70 proposal:

WS-110_original_proposal.gif

I used to live pretty close to the Chek lap kok airport, and seeing planes flying low-by was absolutely epic.

As they used to say, if you could land a plane in HK, you could land a plane anywhere.

I used to live pretty close to the Chek lap kok airport, and seeing planes flying low-by was absolutely epic.

As they used to say, if you could land a plane in HK, you could land a plane anywhere.

Chek lap kok shouldn?t be too dificult to land on, it?s in the middle of the sea.
Kai Tak was the tricky one. I remember landing there a few times in the early ?90s. Banked all the way over before the runway and you couldn?t see the ground on the left hand side, only sky.

Cargo versions of prettymuch any mainline airliner are oddly beautiful compared to the standard version. I don't know why.

The only exceptions to this rule are the DC-10 and MD-11, which is much more interesting to look at in passenger form because damn near all of them have been converted to freighters.

Chek lap kok shouldn?t be too dificult to land on, it?s in the middle of the sea.
Kai Tak was the tricky one. I remember landing there a few times in the early ?90s. Banked all the way over before the runway and you couldn?t see the ground on the left hand side, only sky.

Ah fuck, I got the old and new mixed up.

Epic fail on my behalf. Shows how long I've been overseas I guess :(

Anyway, I just found this hilarious website: http://www.planecrashzone.com/index.html

Last edited:
People who complain about airport noise really piss me off. First off, unless your great-great grandfather built your house with his own hands decades before the airport was built you have no place complaining about something that was there before you moved in. The airport isn't to blame for your lack of research into the area around your next potential house. There was a guy who lived close to the airport I used to fly out of and he would call every day complaining about the noise. After a while I guess he gave up and moved away. Here's the kicker: the genius moved just as close to another airport. I heard that he then resumed his complaint calls to that airport.

Secondly, general aviation airports seem to get the most anger directed toward them. I'm sorry but a Cessna 172 is hardly the loudest object in the world. And it's not like there are hundreds of takeoffs and landings every day. The airport I flew out of was busy for a GA field and even on a heavy day there would be maybe 30 arrivals. Right now I'm living less than a mile from a runway with more activity than that. And these are F-15s taking off on full afterburner. It doesn't bother me at all.

Thirdly, I can't help but think the complaints are in part out of jealousy. We may not be able to have everything we want but we can always complain about it when others do. The noise from a flight school is from someone getting out and doing something with their life, not sitting at a desk writing an angry letter to their local government. I guess some people have a hard time grasping that concept.

I lived literally across the road from an airport for the first five years of my life. There's a bit of general aviation out of there, but mostly it's military stuff, namely big yellow search and rescue planes/helicopters, and Auroras (Canadian variant of the P-3 Orion). Yeah it was noisy when they idled at night, but meh, if you can't get used to it then you're just too old.... then again I guess I'm not one to talk since I listened to planes come and go and idle when I just a wee little baby.

I think I saw one of these when I was at a mate's house last time:

Falcon900EX_1.jpg-.jpg

Dassault Falcon. Absolutely beautiful looking thing.

Or it might be a Challenger 604. I didn't get a good look at the nose.

714_bombardier_challenger-604.jpg

Last edited:
I've flown the Falcon 7X in a full flight simulator, it was the nicest office I had ever seen.

Before I didn't like the side sticks on Airbuses, but the one in the Falcon was very nice, and didn't bother me at all.

falcon7xlarge.jpg

3942813397_6515211840.jpg

The Australian airforce has them:

GC_3A26_073.jpg

But they've changed to the Challengers for short flights, and the BBJ for long-haul:

354798703_383afc6c56.jpg

Last edited:
I lived literally across the road from an airport for the first five years of my life. There's a bit of general aviation out of there, but mostly it's military stuff, namely big yellow search and rescue planes/helicopters, and Auroras (Canadian variant of the P-3 Orion). Yeah it was noisy when they idled at night, but meh, if you can't get used to it then you're just too old.... then again I guess I'm not one to talk since I listened to planes come and go and idle when I just a wee little baby.

I'm pretty much the same. Before moving to Canada I basically lived not even 10 minutes away from the airport (mind, it's a small island & we were pretty much right outside of town where the airport is) and I used to love to sit out in the yard and watch these huge planes go over the house. But if you're going to get all cranky about airplane noise and you deliberately moved to be close to one, you have issues.

Must. Resist. Inappropriate. Joke.

EDIT: Can't resist. Blastoff to Hell in 3...2...1...

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2010/04/12/achallengerha128643461803991319.jpg

2hr0jm1.jpg