British Clunkers Clog Runway Awaiting Crusher

Put a hold on a good condition Puma for me. Ta.

I need to clear something.

All the people who traded their cars for this got 2,000 pounds torwards a new model.

Now i'm no car reseller, but surely judging by that one pic alone, a lot of those cars are worth more than 2,000 pounds used.

Daily Fail strikes again...

Thurleigh has been used for storage for years, that aerial photo could have been taken at any point in the last decade.

I doubt most of the cars in that picture are even part of the scrap scheme.

I need to clear something.

All the people who traded their cars for this got 2,000 pounds torwards a new model.

Now i'm no car reseller, but surely judging by that one pic alone, a lot of those cars are worth more than 2,000 pounds used.

In Australia, yes. In the UK used cars are unbelievably cheap compared to ours. For example, the Corolla in that photo would cost about ?700. Compare that to about $6,000 (about ?3500) here.

Last edited:
What a disgrace. Who trashes an E39 or a W210. wtf?

this is so depressing and it's the last thing i'm seeing before i go to bed. I think i'm going to cry some.

Such a waste, just to sell a some new cars.

I once said that the idea of destroying a perfectly usable car pisses me off and then you all called me mad and stupid. Now it's funny to see those who called me mad and stupid, crying over these perfectly usable cars that will be destroyed.

Why can't the British government export them to South Africa for example? I bet there is a family in Johannesburg that would make a much better use of that seemingly great condition blue BMW 5 series E39 or that red Subaru Forester than the idiots who traded them for pieces of shit Peroduas.

Why can't the British government export them to South Africa for example? I bet there is a family in Johannesburg that would make a much better use of that seemingly great condition blue BMW 5 series E39 or that red Subaru Forester than the idiots who traded them for pieces of shit Peroduas.

Would said family be able to afford the fuel and maintain said cars?

No, but that is not a good solution. The program was idiotic in the first place. I say either sell the cars to the public, or part them out.

Africa is already being flooded with scrap cars from Europe. German police estimate 80 000 scrap cars are exported to Africa each year from the port of Hamburg alone, and that's a drop in the ocean. There are standing ads for "will buy any car cash" in my local paper, I'm sure it's the same in yours even though you drive on the wrong side of the road. Illegal exports to Africa are big business, if the UK goverment would engage in it it'd have to be clean and probably not profitable as well as burochratically challenging.

Last edited: