Along came a Spyder

Yeah, I actually talked with a guy in SC that had one of those knobs and a VVTi Camry V6 in his spyder. Sadly the company that made those knobs is out of business, but I'm going to try to get a knob with a spider pattern engraved into the top.

BAM
http://www.wiseguycustoms.com/index.html

Emblems are for the weak, you need a real critter in there.

Why is the miata a roadster and this is a spyder. Being european terms im sure it has something to do with coachbuilding and has a centuries-old history behind it. (The epic 18th century convertable horse carrage wars), can anyone explain?

Side note: Ill be getting one someday, to beat my girlfriends miata :p

Less than one month between getting the car and my first "two girls, one seat" incident. That's about four months better than my last MR2.

I just bought a set of snow tires on 14" wheels for $50. Also, I proved that a trunk is completely unnecessary in a car.
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2010/06/27/0627101352-00.jpg

I can also confirm that if you drive above 40 mph, it's possible to stay dry with the top down in the rain. Just watch out for stop signs or traffic lights.

Last edited:
Unless I am mistaken, I only see three tires there, is one under the hood? If so, a trunk is about 1/4 necessary :p

Doesn't make it any less awesome.

Unless I am mistaken, I only see three tires there, is one under the hood? If so, a trunk is about 1/4 necessary :p

Doesn't make it any less awesome.

One is under the hood, but it's a spare; the fourth one is in the passenger's seat and hidden by a plastic bag. Now it really needs shocks; it's bouncing more than it should when I hit rough roads, which around here is most of the time. Luckily the OEM replacements come as full strut assemblies rather than inserts, so it'll make for easy replacement. All I need now are my tools. Which are in FL, about to be moved to TX. So long as I get to them before the first winter salt starts rusting the bolts together, I should be good.

Unfeasibly bulky cargo #2: a 5' x 4' kitchen table.

35155_648094356564_1302327_37089729_3087007_n.jpg

Luckily I didn't have to go down any particularly steep hills.

The thread should be renamed to "What can Labcoatguy haul in his MR2... b.t.w. he needs a spider shift knob". :p

The thread should be renamed to "What can Labcoatguy haul in his MR2... b.t.w. he needs a spider shift knob". :p

Just start a collection and have one sent to him already.

Hehe, I'm nowhere near the stature of Hammond so don't quite yet deserve a FG gift. I'm not getting one because it'll be slipperier than the leather one, and so failing in its function of being, y'know, a shift knob. Plus I just spent money on new speakers and am planning some suspension upgrades, so that'll take priority over cosmetics.

I approve of your hauling techniques. Now you just need some stupidly wide R-Comps and to go autocrossing!

Hehe, I'm nowhere near the stature of Hammond so don't quite yet deserve a FG gift. I'm not getting one because it'll be slipperier than the leather one, and so failing in its function of being, y'know, a shift knob. Plus I just spent money on new speakers and am planning some suspension upgrades, so that'll take priority over cosmetics.

:(

This is definitely the last great Toyota before Watanabe stepped in and killed all that was good in the company, very good choice and I love how you dealt with the trunk space. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking, I'm only curious because they never sold a single one of these in Canada and the ones available here are at rip off prices of nearly 20K because of rarity.

This is definitely the last great Toyota before Watanabe stepped in and killed all that was good in the company, very good choice and I love how you dealt with the trunk space. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking, I'm only curious because they never sold a single one of these in Canada and the ones available here are at rip off prices of nearly 20K because of rarity.

I managed to get it for $6k with 92k miles on it, which apparently is a great deal. It's a 2000, so it was at risk for pre-cat failure, but the previous owner took care of that so it's not a problem. Paint is a bit rough up front with a lot of rock chips, the leather seats are a bit torn up so they're covered with neoprene-ish covers, and the engine lid latch doesn't work properly so I have to reach through the back grille to open it. Still, nothing that causes problems day-to-day, and it's great.

Just put in a set of Boston Acoustics component speakers, and it is groundpoundingly loud...until I get moving. Driving with the top down really drowns out mid and low-frequency sounds, so now I'm really tempted by an under-dash 8" subwoofer kit that another Spyder owner makes for sale. Damn mod-itis.

Labcoatguy I wish I lived on the East Coast so I could give you a free sofa. :p

I managed to get it for $6k with 92k miles on it, which apparently is a great deal. It's a 2000, so it was at risk for pre-cat failure, but the previous owner took care of that so it's not a problem. Paint is a bit rough up front with a lot of rock chips, the leather seats are a bit torn up so they're covered with neoprene-ish covers, and the engine lid latch doesn't work properly so I have to reach through the back grille to open it. Still, nothing that causes problems day-to-day, and it's great.

Just put in a set of Boston Acoustics component speakers, and it is groundpoundingly loud...until I get moving. Driving with the top down really drowns out mid and low-frequency sounds, so now I'm really tempted by an under-dash 8" subwoofer kit that another Spyder owner makes for sale. Damn mod-itis.

Let me just stop you, you aren't going to get a system that produces quality sound while driving with the top down at higher speeds. Not without headphones. Audible, yes, but not quality.